RadioReference Web Host Receives DMCA Takedown Notice from Priority Dispatch Corp

footage

Premium Subscriber
Having been in the image licensing business for over thirty years, I have two things to say. First, I thank Lindsay for his transparency and willingness to share this complaint with subscribers and users. Second, almost everything that almost all of us believe we know about copyright law is either oversimplified or untrue. I like to say that copyright law in the public mind "equals what people want it to be," and it's true that most folks who don't have experience negotiating or litigating copyright issues are not aware of some of the complexities of copyright law. Often the wealth of detail some people will mobilize in support of an argument stands in inverse relation to what they really know.

For instance, very few people know that "fair use" is not a right — it's a defense, and a judge will consider four factors when making a decision. See here: https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/four-factors/. That said, copyright protection is neither eternal nor absolute, and certain uses are protected and certain kinds of information are not copyrightable.

Anyway, I'm glad Lindsay isn't caving to this demand, but I have a feeling that whatever comes of this affair may not quite match what people think the law says.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
If Priorities' claims are not challenged, then every agency who releases CAD/run reports containing these determinate/sub-determinate codes could also be liable for damages at the whim of Priority Dispatch, Inc. They really should re-think their choice to target a hobbyist website which isn't charging a dime for what has been put out there for essentially public consumption already. Who uses their products? Primarily publicly funded entities.

Precedence is paramount (no pun intended here) and it ain't easy going up a Goliath. I may not always see eye to eye, but I am very glad to see Lindsay put it on the line to fight for everyone. It's not always easy being right and can be a lonely place.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Having been in the image licensing business for over thirty years, I have two things to say. First, I thank Lindsay for his transparency and willingness to share this complaint with subscribers and users. Second, almost everything that almost all of us believe we know about copyright law is either oversimplified or untrue. I like to say that copyright law in the public mind "equals what people want it to be," and it's true that most folks who don't have experience negotiating or litigating copyright issues are not aware of some of the complexities of copyright law. Often the wealth of detail some people will mobilize in support of an argument stands in inverse relation to what they really know.

For instance, very few people know that "fair use" is not a right — it's a defense, and a judge will consider four factors when making a decision. See here: https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/four-factors/. That said, copyright protection is neither eternal nor absolute, and certain uses are protected and certain kinds of information are not copyrightable.

Anyway, I'm glad Lindsay isn't caving to this demand, but I have a feeling that whatever comes of this affair may not quite match what people think the law says.
As one who has dealt with music copyrights and licensing for several years, you are 100% right.

EastCoastSunrise

Premium Subscriber
This is just another reason I recently re-upped my subscription to RR. @blantonl has got the back of us hobbyists and has the backbone to put up the good fight.

Same here Ill be reupping when I get the chance. Also their complaint appears to not make any sense as I have never seen download links to their software. As for the other aspect of it, you can find out what all theses codes are with an afternoon, a scanner, and a notepad. We are not trying to sell this information in anyway. In their defense RR could have made money off of their hosting of this information but it does seem like one of those lawsuits they have to have otherwise the precedent that this information is free to the public. So I think we are fighting a good fight and will be important legal battle.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber

For instance, very few people know that "fair use" is not a right — it's a defense, and a judge will consider four factors when making a decision. See here: Measuring Fair Use: The Four Factors. That said, copyright protection is neither eternal nor absolute, and certain uses are protected and certain kinds of information are not copyrightable.

I for one could use a brief and much clearer descriptions of the three main intellectual property things; copyright, proprietary information, and Trademark, sometimes I think they may be misused in our common talk.

I realize they are all complicated subjects, especially copyright with its different time frames for different types of material, and how congress changes time frames for everything to extend or reduce protection duration.

I would love for this thread to walk through everything as it goes on, but I'd hate to compromise a case by the owner doing it (if that is even possible), if not please keep us up to date.

Thanks
Joel

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Mason was the lawyer. Ironside was actually a consultant for the San Francisco Police Dept. Before that, he was a cop.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Waiting for shoe 2 to drop... The IP claims, that will be much harder to fight than just copyright etc... While RR etc may win with the Copyright stuff, if an IP case happens, then things get muddy in the pond. If anyone tosses in an IP against scanners case, then I think things will be very dark very fast. Kinda surprising none of the big radio makers never went that route against scanner makers.. they use it and WIN against other radio makers.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Kinda surprising none of the big radio makers never went that route against scanner makers.. they use it and WIN against other radio makers.
I guess you're unaware of the fact that the scanner manufacturers have paid licensing fees for decades in order to incorporate certain technologies. This includes DVSI for the IMBE/AMBE+2 vocoder, MSI for DMR/MOTOTRBO and likely SmartNet/SmartZone back in the day, etc. Here is one such example of Uniden being listed under MSI's DMR licensing program.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am aware of this, but does the licensing cover such things as being able to read RID labels such as are used in NXDN etc? (RID 100234 shows up as SO 13 etc) I always expect the worst so I get pleasantly surprised when things do not go to HIAHB. If you expect the best then that is when suddenly you get a day in court for something that you "thought" was covered but has you facing hefty fines or time in a cell. This also pertains to why States such as NY have yet to be fully tested with that day in court over they way they have scanner laws.

waterbwuk

Feed Provider
Funny how RR won’t take this down and fight for rights but their admins regularly squelch all conservative speech. Just saying. If I said one negative thing about the Big Buy, I am banned.

A lot of places ban politics. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind over the internet when it comes to politics, so discussing is only going to lead to arguments. Plenty of places out there to talk politics all you want with other people that love to talk about that.