Recommend first time user Antenna Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpaceMann

I didn't say it doesn't tune, I said it doesn't radiate worth anything. A recent example of this is a local Govt agency was using or trying to use your exact same QSO King 9:1 end fed with some Harris 20W HF manpacks. They could not make any of their HF nets with the end of the QSO King antenna high up on a flag pole.

I made them a clone of the multi band PAR end fed but cut for both 40m amateur and their Govt freqs. They make fine contacts now where they QSO King does not. The 100W rated resonant end fed half wave I made them cost maybe $15 and it blows away the QSO King.

That has been my experience for several years when comparing any non resonant 9:1 end fed or 6:1 or whatever QSO King, Alpha Antenna, Chameleon and others use, they don't radiate very well at all. Yes your internal tuner will tune them, no they don't work with a darn. Or, if you are actually making contacts with your QSO King, going to a resonant half wave end fed will make everyone think you turned on an amplifier.
prcguy

Edit:
Hey wb6uqa, since you are close to me I will loan you one of my end feds to try out. If it sucks you can post it here. If it works as I claim you can post that here and I'll help you make one.
Interesting! Your end fed sounds like a winner. Would appreciate it if you could post plans to make one! :)

TheSpaceMann

Heard that some hams have had good results just buying the 9 to 1 UN/UN from Balun Designs, and building their own end fed! ;)

prcguy

Yes you do on the end fed types. On paper a resonant EFHW like the MyAntennas EFHW80-10 wants a small amount of counterpoise so I put a good common mode choke 10 to 20ft down the coax from the balun and consider that part of the coax as the counterpoise. In my testing without a choke I don't detect any RF on the coax at resonance when the match is really good but when you get away from resonance where the match is say 2:1 or worse they do start to light up the coax with RF.

On the 9:1 end fed types the coax radiates and is part of the antenna, no way around that. The further down the coax you put a choke the more antenna you have and the better it works to some extent.

The most effective common mode choke I've seen anywhere is the MyAntennas CMC-130-3K and I bought one for portable use. Otherwise I use some home made versions of his CMC-230-5K on all my fixed antennas at home.
prcguy

PRC guy Do you need a common mode choke on your antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.