Repeater Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke0xq

Premium Subscriber
Repeater trolls

I used to listen to 2 and 440. The trolls are so bad now, I stay off he bands. When I
do listen, it reminds me of a bunch of "good buddy CBer's".

MisterK33

Fortunately, the repeater network I am on most often is really good, and I haven't noticed any trolling. If I wasn't working so much and listened more, I might hear some, but whenever I tune in it's either quiet or there's a good conversation going on.

TheSpaceMan

On what repeaters are you experiencing this? I know the ones in Los Angeles on 435 and 450 constantly have that issue.
That issue?? I have gone on those repeaters on several occasions, and even trolls who were actually using their legitimate call signs were playing music, cursing each other out, and flinging anti-Black and anti-Jewish insults at each other right over the air!!!

LtDoc

I think you will run into this sort of 'trolling' almost anywhere, it's not limited to 2 meters or 70 cm at all. What do you do about it/them? Simplest thing is to ignore them completely (as much as possible). The only reason for that "outrageous" behavior is to get attention. The other side of that 'coin' is also possible, but always leads to complications. Go find'em and puch'em in the nose, you know? Will that stop it? I very much doubt it, but, you at least get some satisfaction. (I don't recommend that, by the way.)
Also, some of that name calling, etc, isn't what you think it is, or it sounds like. That's hard to explain unless you've "been there", so I won't even try...
- 'Doc

avdrummerboy

Problem for me is that HAM radio has become what we all hated about CB and turned to HAM for. The adult immaturity and nonsense. I hear lots of insanity on some of our local machines. In fact, a few years back, we had a fellow named Jack who would get on local repeaters for hours on end and play tapes of him talking on a loop as well as music and cursing. It sucked, but we would ignore it for a while and he would leave. He got his in when he decided to interfere with local law enforcement comms!

Point that I'm trying to make though is that HAM is not as gentlemanly and courteous as it once was. I listen a lot and rarely talk because of the attitudes of most HAM's now.

KC0KM

On occasion, we have a troll here in the Kansas City Area. He comes on, says a few curse words, and leaves. We just ignore him, and do not even acknowledge him in anyway. We also try and -- if we can -- hit reverse, to see if we can pick him up on the input, but most of the time he is a one hit wonder. As others have said, the best thing is to ignore them. On the other hand, if we catch them, will the FCC gut them and fry them for us?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
In fact, a few years back, we had a fellow named Jack who would get on local repeaters for hours on end and play tapes of him talking on a loop as well as music and cursing. It sucked, but we would ignore it for a while and he would leave. He got his in when he decided to interfere with local law enforcement comms!

Yes, and Mr. Gerritsen also got prison time, not just " a letter".

There are plenty of ways to weed out the trolls. Digital is one way, no Baofeng bandits with their roger beeps and constant kerchunks. Enable Restricted Access to System and you'll only hear authorized users. (no this is NOT encryption). Most CB lid types aren't going to invest in expensive radios nor have the knowledge to program them up because their O2 saturation is low from constant mouth breathing.

You can always put up an Echolink node and say to heck with repeaters. you can include or exclude anyone or everyone. If someone acts a fool, it's a one click fix to eliminate the problem (at least on the IP side).

Best course is to just IGNORE the turds and carry on. Ham radio is what you make of it. Glass half empty or glass half full. It's all in what you choose.

ke0xq

Premium Subscriber
The troll problem is mainly on one repeater. The type of hams that are on this repeater are less than desirable, and tend to "push the envelope" as far as the rules go. I just wonder what non-hams think when they listen to this repeater?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No matter where the repeater is, or who the offender is there's ALWAYS a trustee or repeater owner responsible for that machine. IF he's made aware of what's happening on his machine then it's HIS responsibility to shut the repeater off. This almost always makes the offender go away. ;) 73, n9zas

WB4CS

As this is an old thread, I'm not sure if the OP ever returned and honestly his post just sounds like he needed to vent, however the info is pretty relevant to most any ham. "Trolls" are not just limited to 2/70cm, they're everywhere on the dial.

One of the first comments in this thread mentions switching to 70cm where the more "experienced" hams are. That might have been true 15 years ago, now with the cost of dual band radios (IE China rigs) being so low, this kind of stuff happens just as much on 70cm as it did on 2M.

A big part is location. In my location this type of "trolling" is almost nonexistent. On the few repeaters that it happens, I just ignore those frequencies. I mainly stay on one or two repeaters, where I have found a group of hams that are enjoyable to talk to.

So, if you run into this type of "trolling" on the ham bands, best to just ignore it and use another frequency. Also, don't limit yourself to just 2M. Upgrade, get on the HF bands. But don't expect HF to be any less full of trolls, they're on HF too. At least on HF you're not confined to the "local" airwaves.

SCPD

QRT
Like others have said, don't feed the trolls.
Don't give them the satisfaction of a reply.
You need to truly make them think the final is gone in their radio.
It's the only way to get rid of them.
Coming back to them is exactly what gets them off.

KC0KM

Like others have said, don't feed the trolls.
Don't give them the satisfaction of a reply.
You need to truly make them think the final is gone in their radio.
It's the only way to get rid of them.
Coming back to them is exactly what gets them off.

That is not only the best advice, it is the only way. With our so called troll, when we first began to ignore him, you could almost hear the disappointment in his voice, as if the radio was not working (like hello is this thing on). Now he is really intermittent, we will not hear from him for weeks or months, and when he does troll, it is only for a few seconds. When we have someone who is new who tries to talk to him, we tell them not to feed the troll. Simply put, do not give them the satisfaction, and you take all the fun out it for them.

ke0xq

Premium Subscriber
More on repeater trolls

There is one troll in our area that is so lonely, he throws his call sign out every 5 minutes or so with his location at the time. He is always adding his two cents to a QSO. Having this guy as a ham is embarrassing for the most part. He really has nothing valuable to add to these QSOs. Hopefully people will get fed up with him and either tell him to buzz off or ignore him. I tried to be nice and converse with him, but got frustrated with his senseless gibberish.

WB4CS

There is one troll in our area that is so lonely, he throws his call sign out every 5 minutes or so with his location at the time. He is always adding his two cents to a QSO. Having this guy as a ham is embarrassing for the most part. He really has nothing valuable to add to these QSOs. Hopefully people will get fed up with him and either tell him to buzz off or ignore him. I tried to be nice and converse with him, but got frustrated with his senseless gibberish.

A ham operator, who legally identifies, trying to talk to other people on the radio?! :eek: OH NO!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I think people get their ham license to LISTEN instead of talk, because some people get upset when people try to talk to them. Wow.

Don't get me wrong, in my area there's that "one guy" who I can't stand to talk to so I don't. But I don't want other hams to get "fed up" with him so he'll go away, I hope that he enjoys his time on the radio and who he talks to. This hobby is for all of us, not just the ones we want to talk to.

pb_lonny

Don't get me wrong, in my area there's that "one guy" who I can't stand to talk to so I don't. But I don't want other hams to get "fed up" with him so he'll go away, I hope that he enjoys his time on the radio and who he talks to. This hobby is for all of us, not just the ones we want to talk to.

This is 100% correct, if he is following the rules then what is the problem? We have the same issues over this side of the world too, just not to the same extent.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
There are some rude and unfriendly people on some repeaters, no doubt. That's why I work simplex for the most part. Get a decent outdoor antenna (3-5/8 works best for omni) up at 40 or 50 feet, some LMR-400, a decent dual band mobile, and forget about repeaters as I have for the most part. My ham friends either use 2 meter simplex or HF for the most part. The only repeaters I usually use are 10 meter repeaters. I have about as much use for 2 meter and 70 cm repeaters as I do a broken toe. Not disparaging those who like them, just saying that I don't care for them, and it has a lot to do with the rude (stick up their rear) types who like to hang out on (some of) them, in part to take shots at others who they don't feel are "worthy". On one repeater in town, all hams are expected to ID every time the key up, even if they are talking back and forth with one person. Ridiculous.

Another good reason to work simplex and use HF is this: Repeaters are primarily supposed to be used for situations where simplex contact with a station(s) isn't possible, or to call another station to a simplex frequency. I do not understand people who could work simplex with their friend(s), but instead use repeaters.

The better set up you are for simplex, the less you have to deal with repeaters, and the nonsense that sometimes comes with their use. And to be clear, I am not saying that all repeaters or repeater users are bad, because many aren't. There are however, enough bad apples to leave a bad taste in the mouth of some hams.

WB4CS

On one repeater in town, all hams are expected to ID every time the key up, even if they are talking back and forth with one person. Ridiculous.

That "one guy" I mentioned in my post above, he just LOVES to ID at the beginning AND end of every transmission. Nothing wrong with that, it's just aggravating as hell! If my local watering hole repeater required that much ID, I'd say "so long!" too.

W4BOZ

Premium Subscriber
Enable PL or even DPL. The latter would be better as it's as much of a rarity as non-CSQ repeater inputs. If a several decades old technology can supposedly keep legit operators off repeaters, surely it can work with trolls too!

WB4CS

Enable PL or even DPL. The latter would be better as it's as much of a rarity as non-CSQ repeater inputs. If a several decades old technology can supposedly keep legit operators off repeaters, surely it can work with trolls too!

Problem with that is PL/DPL tones are not secret. They get published in repeater directories and websites, most modern equipment can do a tone search and find the correct PL/DPL to use for a repeater in a matter of seconds.

What you could do is go to digital, like P25 or D-Star, which would probably cut out a lot of "trolls" since you have to have specific (and often expensive) radios to use those systems. Of course, you'll also cut out a good bit of your regular users, not many hams are going to upgrade to expensive radios just to talk to their buddies on digital.

The best method for "trolls" is to ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.