RigExpert Analyzer repair

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have a RigExperts AA-650 antenna analyzer that needs a replacement RF Connector. I took the front cover off to see if I think I could do this but it is beyond my abilities.
I need to have the connector sourced and replaced. While it has an "N" connector on it now I could live with an SO-239 if needed. I think I mis-threaded an adapter as the "N" Connector on the unit has the center conductor contacts spread. I tried to bend them back but no joy, it still reads infinite SWR no matter what.

Any ideas?

(BTW, I do have an email in to GigaParts, from whom I bought it, I suspect they will get back to me after the weekend.)

clovisb31

I have a RigExperts AA-650 antenna analyzer that needs a replacement RF Connector. I took the front cover off to see if I think I could do this but it is beyond my abilities.
I need to have the connector sourced and replaced. While it has an "N" connector on it now I could live with an SO-239 if needed. I think I mis-threaded an adapter as the "N" Connector on the unit has the center conductor contacts spread. I tried to bend them back but no joy, it still reads infinite SWR no matter what.

Any ideas?

(BTW, I do have an email in to GigaParts, from whom I bought it, I suspect they will get back to me after the weekend.)
Hi Rich,
I'm looking at mine right now. Mine has an end plate measuring 1'' x 2 1/4''. The N connector is mounted with 4 corner
screws corresponding to a standard N bulkhead chassis connector. Then there are 2 opposing screws at each end of the
plate. All screws are phillips head type. Have you tried simply removing the opposing screws on each side of the plate?
Maybe the connector is only connected to the inner electronics with a small coaxial lead? I've never opened mine up so
this may not be helpful. Good luck as these are made in Ukraine and I'm thinking those folks are rather busy right now.
KE6JZ

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Sounds like you forced a PL259 into the connector. I did that once at a repeater install. A PL259 jumper made it into the mix. Oops.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Sounds like you forced a PL259 into the connector. I did that once at a repeater install. A PL259 jumper made it into the mix. Oops.
Yeah, I think either that or a cheap N-BNC adapter I had in the bin (since trashed!).

GigaParts (from whom I purchased it) offerred to repair it after I inquired but I was able to gently bend the pins back with a dental pick and it works as expected now.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Hi Rich,
I'm looking at mine right now. Mine has an end plate measuring 1'' x 2 1/4''. The N connector is mounted with 4 corner
screws corresponding to a standard N bulkhead chassis connector. Then there are 2 opposing screws at each end of the
plate. All screws are phillips head type. Have you tried simply removing the opposing screws on each side of the plate?
Maybe the connector is only connected to the inner electronics with a small coaxial lead? I've never opened mine up so
this may not be helpful. Good luck as these are made in Ukraine and I'm thinking those folks are rather busy right now.
KE6JZ
The more I look at it the more I agree that I should be able to fix it if needed. For now however I have repaired it by bending the pins back to spec, as long as that holds out I will be good.

I will pick up a couple bulkhead connectors at the next hamfest however!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
By bending the legs back they may not be tight enough and or may loosen once the male N connector is inserted. You don't want to crush the legs together either, as the male N adapter fits inside of that stem. A possible fix for this is to use this fuel line tube. You would cut off 0.25 inches (6.35mm) so that it fits over the inside stem and push it in. The inner diameter of the tube will hold the legs tight and you leave that cut tube piece in there when connecting a male N connector on the end of your coaxial cable.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I suspect the repairI have made is temporary at best. I will leave my N-BNC adapter on as a port protector for now and after I get a replacement connector and the cajones to actually do it I will replace it,