SDS100/SDS200: Road Trip Event Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Last Friday (8/17) went down to Cincinnati to see Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Williams, Jr. perform at the Riverbend and took along my SDS100 to see what I could see. I preplanned my trip with zipcode inputs along the way. I was using the Remtronix antenna on a window clip mount (don't ask me what brand I've had it so long it has no printing on it anywhere but works great) clipped to the passenger window with a 10-ft feed of RG58 and a BNC connector at both ends. I was hearing Hamilton county from south Dayton before I even left Montgomery county. Middletown PD loud and clear on I-75 southbound outside Miamisburg. I heard also what I think were Corrections frequencies, possibly from the state prison in Lebanon. Security frequencies from Kings Island (?) possibly.

Once at Riverbend I barely got in with the scanner enclosed in my backpack, as they were very concerned with the replay/record button, thinking I was a possible bootleg pirate. Luckily for me there was a guy at the checkpoint who knew scanners and assured the others that I would not be recording the show for bootlegging purposes. Talk about a close call! If he hadn't been there they would have told me to put it in the car. I don't get that because anyone with a cellphone can record/video the entire show. A device they do not know scares them. But we got thru unscathed. I scanned Close Call and got lots of hits for event security. Very good listening from the entrance checkpoints. Other hits were DMR frequencies for Skynyrd's crew and Hank Jr's security people. Interesting backstage talk! There were also hits (I had to avoid) from a media frequency - 455.9975 - with an annoying digital chainsaw buzz, then a voice callout like they were setting up a remote broadcast. The place was alive with Close Call hits and, get this, on a frequency of 455.550 the actual live music was playing on the frequency! Good thing for them I wasn't a bootlegger. Had a good time with it, one guy asked if it was a decibel reader lol. I was right down by the front of the stage. Most of the time it was in my pouch pocket and I used a Rabbit single ear bud I got from ScannerMaster - that worked great! This test for me, was mainly a Close Call test, and the SDS100 passed with flying colors

Overall, I was impressed with the SDS100 in the field. Can't wait for Sept 15 and our trip down to the smokies. I am almost finished with my zipcode charting (I match a zipcode with a milemarker - yeah I know, the old way) for the trip. We are packing now!

JD
kf4anc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.