Rowan County Fire Disp Narrowbanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

owenbricker

Rowan co.

154.2500 is also used in my county of Richland, narrowbanding does not change the frequency, after narrowbanding, I have seen little change in reception, current scanners or 30 year old ones. location and poor antennas are the usual problems.

KM4WLV

Yes I have. It kind of reminds me of the same noise I hear in the background from RRMC when EMS units are calling in.

So the real frequency now is 154.25125 or is it 154.2575? I was under the impression they went with a 7.5 step instead of 12.5 step. I had read somewhere that 7.5 would be the VHF "standard".

No the frequency is still the same old 154.2500, but when you're programming your radio/pager, etc there is a field to set the bandwidth to 25 khz, 12.5, and some of the newer stuff will let you do 6.25 ( I think ).

chadkiser

Just a FYI, on July 10th the VHF transmitter on Youngs Mountain went live as well. The western side of the county now has better VHF coverage. There's also a delay on VHF compared to 800 now.

CFP387

Yes, and that delay is really aggravating. I hope that gets straightened out soon. I didn't know about the Young's Mountain tx site going live on the 10th. I knew it was in the works but thanks for that bit of info!

chadkiser

I was discussing the delay with my Chief the other day and he told me that once the new 911 center is in place the delay and hum during tones should go away. It has to do with the old equipment at the old 911 center and new equipment at the towers.

CFP387

I was discussing the delay with my Chief the other day and he told me that once the new 911 center is in place the delay and hum during tones should go away. It has to do with the old equipment at the old 911 center and new equipment at the towers.

The move in date has been set for the week of September 16th. I guess we'll have to bear with the hums and delays until then. I still think they could do something about it if they would.

KM4WLV

The move in date has been set for the week of September 16th. I guess we'll have to bear with the hums and delays until then. I still think they could do something about it if they would.

I think what a lot of the problem is where the deviations are so different between the wide and narrowband stuff. With the old consoles at the current center and the new equipment at the tower site(s) I just wonder if they had to bump up things as far as the encoder goes to still get the tones to transmit at the same "volume" which is what's causing the hum we're hearing, especially since after the tones stop and whenever the dispatchers keys up it stops.

Lot of speculation I know.

CFP387

I see your point and understand what you're saying. I can't understand though, why there is a hum underneath the dispatch tones but not the alert tone.

KM4WLV

I see your point and understand what you're saying. I can't understand though, why there is a hum underneath the dispatch tones but not the alert tone.

Chad makes a good point too.......

I've also noticed it sounds like (on VHF) when Rowan is transmitting they are transmitting on the 800 RFD DISP talkgroup primarily instead of on the RFD DISPc (VHF Calling) like they used to. If you listen close enough you can distinguish when they are talking on VHF and it patches over to 800 versus them talking on 800 and it carrying over to VHF. The modulation is completely different.......

Status
Not open for further replies.