SAFE-T and analog scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This topic may have been discussed before, but I'm bringing it up again for the benefit of those new to monitoring Project SAFE-T or new to the forum.

Project SAFE-T uses Motorola "Type II" trunking protocols and APCO P25 for some, but not all, voice talkgroups. What this means is that some talkgroups are analog. The advantage here to scanner listeners is that you can monitor these analog talkgroups using older, non-digital scanners.

Take a look at the Project SAFE-T talkgroup listing at http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=933. The "Mode" column contains an "A" for analog and a "D" for digital (and an "E" for encrypted). All of those analog talkgroups, including the mutual aid TGs, plus DOT, DOC, and many county agencies, can still be monitored with an analog scanner.

Let me give an example: I have a Uniden BC895XLT. This model is at least 10 years old and it does not have the capability to decode APCO P25 signals. However, you can still scan Project SAFE-T with it. Just follow the scanner's instructions to enter the frequencies and talkgroups for a Motorola Type II system and you'll be able to monitor the analog talkgroups on SAFE-T. I also have a Uniden BC780XLT and the story here is the same. No digital capability, but it works just fine for monitoring the analog talkgroups. In addition, the 780 has Control Channel-only scanning and alpha-numeric tags for the channels and talkgroups. Note that neither of these scanners support the ongoing rebanding of the 800 MHz public safety frequencies, so that could be a problem down the road.

So, if you are thinking that the move to digital is leaving you behind, think again. Dust off those old analog trunk tracking scanners and put them to use. If nothing else, you can keep an ear open for what DOT's snow plows are up to this winter.

Last edited:

usswood

Some of the A listed talk groups are in fact Digital however, DHS and ISDH have A listed talkgroups, but I have never heard traffic in Analog mode off the Terre Haute, or Vigo Towers. I do here there traffic on the A talkgroups but in Digital mode. Using a PRO 2052 next to my PSR-500 I have confirmed this over the last week.

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
Some of the A listed talk groups are in fact Digital however, DHS and ISDH have A listed talkgroups, but I have never heard traffic in Analog mode off the Terre Haute, or Vigo Towers. I do here there traffic on the A talkgroups but in Digital mode. Using a PRO 2052 next to my PSR-500 I have confirmed this over the last week.

Same here. DHS uses Digital here. I have never heard anything on the analog tg's besides the EOC tg.
Submit your findings, and Scannerfreak will update the database. I have several to submit next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.