ScanBuddy for GRE PSR-500/PSR-600 and Pro-106/Pro-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks for posting! I never saw this before.

n9zas

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
On that same site you'll see what looks like a useful utility for Win500 users - at first glance, it looks like a web based version of FreeScan's EZ-Grab

Mike

RonnieUSA

I just tried it, and can't seem to get it to work.
I did get it to log onto RadioReference, and set it to 25 miles, and it loaded those counties.
But I haven't got it to start searching, got the port set right.
Any thoughts on this?

Thank You for any help on this.

MajorHavoc

Check the COM port in Device Manager (right-click My Computer or Computer - Properties - Device Manager). When your scanner is plugged in you should be able to expand the 'Ports (COM & LPT)' section, under that you should see 'USB Serial Port (COMx)' - where x is the number assigned to the port. If it is not COM1 it will not work. You can assign your USB device to COM1 (assuming that you don't already have something on COM1) by right-clicking 'USB Serial Port (COMx)' - Properties - Port Settings - Advanced. At the top you should see 'COM Port Number', just change that to COM1 and you should be set.

Although ScanBuddy will accept any COM port under 'Settings', it appears as though COM1 was hard-coded into the program and it only uses that for its connection.

Last edited:

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
Although ScanBuddy will accept any COM port under 'Settings', it appears as though COM1 was hard-coded into the program and it only uses that for its connection.

I wonder if that is a bug or done intentionally. Pretty stupid if so!

I tried to check it out but the site must be down.

RonnieUSA

Check the COM port in Device Manager (right-click My Computer or Computer - Properties - Device Manager). When your scanner is plugged in you should be able to expand the 'Ports (COM & LPT)' section, under that you should see 'USB Serial Port (COMx)' - where x is the number assigned to the port. If it is not COM1 it will not work. You can assign your USB device to COM1 (assuming that you don't already have something on COM1) by right-clicking 'USB Serial Port (COMx)' - Properties - Port Settings - Advanced. At the top you should see 'COM Port Number', just change that to COM1 and you should be set.

Changed the com port just fine, but still no start button at the bottom.

MajorHavoc

I don't know why you're not getting the start button. Mine worked after making that modification.

I see that you're using ARC500 as well. Are you using the Pro (paid) version? It allows Virtual Control with logging of audio and data, which would give your pretty much the same functionality plus a lot of other features. Just a thought...

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

I am able to use Scan Buddy on any port that the scanner is using at the time. It's currently running on COM5 with no problems.

I have never had to change the scanner to COM1 to use the software.

RonnieUSA

I don't know why you're not getting the start button. Mine worked after making that modification.

I see that you're using ARC500 as well. Are you using the Pro (paid) version? It allows Virtual Control with logging of audio and data, which would give your pretty much the same functionality plus a lot of other features. Just a thought...
Just the normal ARC500.

May I ask what radio's, and OS your using this with?

Last edited:

MajorHavoc

I am able to use Scan Buddy on any port that the scanner is using at the time. It's currently running on COM5 with no problems.

I have never had to change the scanner to COM1 to use the software.

Yeah, I am sure that it probably works for some/most. Don't know if it's a Windows version thing, hardware, whatever. I am on Windows 8 and it would not work until I changed my COM port.

msg_warrior01

ScanBuddy

first,yes I know that the last post is almost a year old, the issue with the start button has to do with display settings, currently will not allow me to scroll to the bottom to access the "button" based on the screen shoots I have seen. Haven't figured out the correct combination. Still using Vista on a HP notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.