scanner laws here in california

Status
Not open for further replies.

serebin

robert_stroy said:
Ok thanks to all of you..... i was just tring to make sure and to get anyone who might know if it is illegal to do so. it all makes since that you can have a scanner in your car as long as you dont fumble around with it. and once again thank you for your help..... :D 8) :lol:

A classic example of someone "unclear on the concept"

SAR923

The comment was directed at you because it took 20 posts for you to understand what many of us posted. There are no statewide laws that prohibit the use of a scanner anywhere in California and only LA City has an old law on the books about scanners that's rarely, if ever, enforced. Since many of the answers came from California peace officers and one from an attorney, that should have been enough to convince a rational person that you were getting the correct information.

K0JAD

Question: asked and answered

When I lived in South Dakota I had to carry my ham license with me in the mobile. Actually, my fishing buddy there was a South Dakota State Trooper and he and another friend of mine (also a trooper) didn't know whether it was legal or not. Redundancy is a killer, huh?

robert_stroy

well dam is it against the dam law to ask a couple people for help you act like you never got a second apeal to get some help 1 person was saying its illegal in LA and 1 was saying another i just wanted to ask for someone that may know if its a problem with using a scanner in a dam car or any other things that i should know maybe if people stuck together in our great country then we wouldnt be were we are today

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
There are no dam laws concerning scanners, but getting close to the 'dam' to monitor their activities have become next to impossible these days due to increased security. Now, I have a amateur license and mainly use commercial radio equip because of its sens. and selectivity and it could be "scanning" when approached by law enforcement, however, I have a special rf detector that when they approach my vehicle when stopped, the radio stops scanning and only hears ham freqs , then reverts back to railroad, police, fire and FBI/CIA, animal control, etc when they leave. :twisted:

JoeyC

icom1020 said:
There are no dam laws concerning scanners, but getting close to the 'dam' to monitor their activities have become next to impossible these days due to increased security. Now, I have a amateur license and mainly use commercial radio equip because of its sens. and selectivity and it could be "scanning" when approached by law enforcement, however, I have a special rf detector that when they approach my vehicle when stopped, the radio stops scanning and only hears ham freqs , then reverts back to railroad, police, fire and FBI/CIA, animal control, etc when they leave. :twisted:

DAM thats neat!

FreqOfNature

The topic of radio scanners and the law comes up quite often and usually results in many replies by radio monitoring hobbyists elucidation of the law(s).

If you truly want an answer to this question then you should consult someone who practices law in _your area_ and is familiar with the Federal, State and local laws pertaining to monitoring radio transmissions. I seriously doubt that “Joe Scanner said it was legal” will have any use to your defense in a court of law.

The only thing that the radio monitoring community can provide you in regards to this subject is personal experience, which is about as varied as their interpretation of the law.

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
robert_stroy said:
well dam is it against the dam law to ask a couple people for help you act like you never got a second apeal to get some help 1 person was saying its illegal in LA and 1 was saying another i just wanted to ask for someone that may know if its a problem with using a scanner in a dam car or any other things that i should know maybe if people stuck together in our great country then we wouldnt be were we are today

Check this out Robert....I was simply commenting that this thread has gone on long enough for the topic to be rehashed twice. The original question has been thoroughly answered and it should be clear by now. Nothing personal against you, however you may take it. Now I think I'm going to walk across the damned dam.

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
How long has that been in effect? I bet I already know the answer.

Sometimes I wish certain people would get OFF the dam road.

RolnCode3

You do. 9-11. We're among the few that get to drive up to it, as we qualify at Folsom State Prison at their range. We get to drive down the road and up to the approaches, but not onto it. Kind of cool to see it with no one around. Had a major effect on the traffic flow in the whole area. Wonder if they'll ever open it back up.

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
I've driven across it, a long time ago. And we used to ride our bikes across back in the day. Up the American River Trail, around the lake, and back down the trail. Ahhhhh, those were the days. Now I just ride a bike on patrol, on the "dam" BART path.......not quite the same huh?

robert_stroy

Well, thanks for your reply to set the record straight I did take it the wrong way now that you explained your side I under stand its a old (Q) to ask. You would think that most laws are the same state to state but its clear now, that its through agency to agency im sure everyone has been pulled over for the stupid things that they cant do and in the town i live in they would take me to jail if i just ask what a law is. I know there is no law. If theres no section for it and once again thanks to all for you kind help.

JoeyC

robert_stroy said:
im sure everyone has been pulled over for the stupid things that they cant do and in the town i live in they would take me to jail if i just ask what a law is.

They wouldn't haul you off to jail for asking about a law. Chances are if you were taken to jail in the past under similar circumstances it was for another reason. To take you to jail implys a charge can be filed for breaking a law and subsequently a court appearance. There are no laws about being stupid though. I find it interesting that you have this negative opinion about the cops, that they are out to hassel you for every little thing and yet you want to listen to their radios. I would have to question your motives about having a scanner in the first place, knowing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.