Scanner picking up baby monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenriswolf039

Premium Subscriber
phoenix-rising.jpg

KB7MIB

I own a pair of Radio Shack TRC-512 five channel 49 MHz handhelds and once in awhile, I'll scan the channels for two-way activity from home. The five channels are also in my scan sequence in my PRO-43 when on road trips.
There's 2 monitors fairly local to me, and I'll pick up others at random when driving around. (I don't sit on a channel and listen to my neighbors, I just look for two-way activity on occassion.)

As well, once in awhile I'll scan the Amateur 33cm band for activity with my PSR-500. (There is a repeater or two in the Phoenix metro area, but they're little used.)

There used to be a baby monitor or two in that range, as well as a cordless phone. All seem to be gone, now.

However, one of those monitors seemed to multicast on both 900 MHz and one of the 49 MHz channels. I could hear the same audio on both channels, and I always wondered what model(s) had that capability, but never researched it.

John
Peoria, AZ

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I've picked up several baby monitors as I scanned the entire spectrum.

When I have a baby I'll make sure to pay extra and get something that isn't in the 49mhz range! It's like having an open microphone in your home that anyone with a little know-how can listen in!

KB7MIB

I also remember, many years ago, being able to tune in cordless phones just above what was the end of the AM BCB (upper 1600/lower 1700 kHz range).

Some monitors are now using wifi, (typically those with video capability) so that you can access it via the internet from anywhere, (out on a date and want to check on the baby and the sitter?) and there are news articles about people hacking into those now. They're not just listening in, they're using the camera to watch you, now.

I would try to find a cordless phone or baby/room monitor that uses the 5.6 GHz range, with DECT technology I believe it is. Even some of the early 2.4 GHz digital phones still used 900 MHz analog channels from the handset to the base.

If you use a wifi-enabled/internet capable monitor, be sure that you change the password from the factory default, and that your internet connection is as secure as possible from unauthorized access.

John
Peoria, AZ

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You'd be amazed at how low band can go with only 50mw and a tuned receiver. Back in the 1990s, I had a low band high split MT1000 (42-50). I regularly heard baby monitors and cordless phones coming from 1/2-3/4 mile away. One of the fun things to do (gas was dirt cheap back then, remember those days?) was to DF them.

Speaking of 49MHz baby monitors, there has been a baby monitor on the air in my neighborhood since the late 1980s on 49.830. It has been coming from the SAME house. The "kids" are grown into their late 20's by now! Nothing but silence most of the time. My guess is it is still in the spare bedroom or something and someone doesn't even know it's there.

Rarely see the homeowner. Not sure who made it, but obviously a pretty good quality transmitter.

Most of them have some amazing AGC in the audio section that effectively make a nice bug.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I also remember, many years ago, being able to tune in cordless phones just above what was the end of the AM BCB (upper 1600/lower 1700 kHz range).

The first cordless phones used a downlink (base to handset) frequency in that range. Line cord was coupled to the AC wiring through a coupling capacitor to serve as an antenna. The handset uplink was on 49MHz FM.

Open up one of those early handsets and you'd find a ferrite bar antenna in addition to the pull up whip for the 49MHz transmitter.

I remember reading in PopComm in the mid 1980s that the manufacturers had reports of USA cordless phone calls being received in South America.

That kind of propagation is certainly possible with the lower HF bands and QRP power levels when the band is wide open.

RayAir

Reminds me of the early 90's, as a young teen I used to scan low band for skip a lot.

I had a multi band scanner antenna with 6' low band radials 30' in the air on a hill top.

I used to get 46Mhz cordless phones from over 1 mile away.

Lots of monitors and a few walkies were heard on 49.83, 49.845, 49.86, 49.875 and 49.90.

slicerwizard

With a Pro-43 running off full size TV rabbit ears, it was easy to walk the neighborhood and DF baby monitors and cordless phones. Just spin the antenna until it nulls the signal and you've got a vector. Definitely easy peasy.

RayAir

Oh, and don't forget the old cordless phones that used to work on 49 MHz as well. I used to hear my neighbors talking on their phones all the time.

Not that I was trying to eavesdrop (actually, I was trying to monitor other hobbyists who, for a while, were experimenting on 49 MHz as an alternative to CB and HAM). But what information my neighbors would divulge over their cordless phones, like their credit card numbers, bank account numbers, etc! Lucky for them I was honest.

But then I vividly remember boaters contacting the ship-to-shore operator and asking to place a phone call to someone on the mainland. These boaters read off their credit card numbers on open airwaves like there was no problem. Heck, as recently as 10 years ago a Super Shuttle driver read off my credit card number over her radio, much to my chagrin. Believe me, I kept a close track on my statements for several months thereafter.

Dave
KA6TJF

Tow companies by me read off customer credit card numbers all day and night around here.

I had a driver read mine over his TRBO radio last year. I guess they think it's secure. Luckily no trouble came of it. All DMR around here is in the clear.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I would try to find a cordless phone or baby/room monitor that uses the 5.6 GHz range, with DECT technology I believe it is. Even some of the early 2.4 GHz digital phones still used 900 MHz analog channels from the handset to the base.

DECT can be hacked with a popular hacking OS and the right Express card. Anyone wanting DECT needs to make sure that signal is using encryption. I would call the manufacture who would have that information as they might not have that information in the manual or on the box. I have a DECT cordless phone and called the manufacture and asked if it was encrypted and it is.

The best phone you could buy is from engenius. They use TDMA. You can find their phones on ebay and Amazon.

K2RNI

You'd be amazed at how low band can go with only 50mw and a tuned receiver. Back in the 1990s, I had a low band high split MT1000 (42-50). I regularly heard baby monitors and cordless phones coming from 1/2-3/4 mile away. One of the fun things to do (gas was dirt cheap back then, remember those days?) was to DF them.

Speaking of 49MHz baby monitors, there has been a baby monitor on the air in my neighborhood since the late 1980s on 49.830. It has been coming from the SAME house. The "kids" are grown into their late 20's by now! Nothing but silence most of the time. My guess is it is still in the spare bedroom or something and someone doesn't even know it's there.

Rarely see the homeowner. Not sure who made it, but obviously a pretty good quality transmitter.

Most of them have some amazing AGC in the audio section that effectively make a nice bug.

I DF them now by walking around with the handheld and gradually turning the squelch all the way up and then the -20dB attenuator as you get closer. Easy to narrow it down between a couple houses with just the omni directional stock antenna. I can hear them from 1/4 of a mile out that way surprisingly.

Also another funny thing to do with your loband ht is key up on the same frequency to spook people. With the 6 watt output it'll capture the receiver even from the edge of the range.

Also another funny thing to do with your loband ht is key up on the same frequency to spook people. With the 6 watt output it'll capture the receiver even from the edge of the range.

Sounds like something an "autistic manchild" would do..

Status
Not open for further replies.