SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 nothing to scan after database update

da-Peter

I have a totally weird issue going on now. I just updated the master database in BCDx36HP Sentinel software on my pc. After that i did a write to scanner and force write full database.

Now when i use my scanner it shows nothing to scan for certain zip codes. for other zip codes it cycles only through a few systems and departments and repeats them over and over.

I havent changed anything else on the scanner itself. FUll DB is set to on, all servcie types are on and so for. Just as I always use it.

However, when it shows me nothing to scan. I can press the channel button and then I see all systems and departments and can cycle through them freely. However, as soon as i press channel again, it shows nothing to scan...

I think something is corrupt with the files the pc writes to the SD card. Maybe a windows update broke it again. Had that issue in the past...the whole database was broken even though it wrote just fine to the scanner...

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I have a totally weird issue going on now. I just updated the master database in BCDx36HP Sentinel software on my pc. After that i did a write to scanner and force write full database.

Now when i use my scanner it shows nothing to scan for certain zip codes. for other zip codes it cycles only through a few systems and departments and repeats them over and over.

I havent changed anything else on the scanner itself. FUll DB is set to on, all servcie types are on and so for. Just as I always use it.

However, when it shows me nothing to scan. I can press the channel button and then I see all systems and departments and can cycle through them freely. However, as soon as i press channel again, it shows nothing to scan...

I think something is corrupt with the files the pc writes to the SD card. Maybe a windows update broke it again. Had that issue in the past...the whole database was broken even though it wrote just fine to the scanner...
Most likely the SD card became corrupted. That happens for various reasons but in particular when you pull the USB from the computer without "ejecting" the mass storage drive in Windows and waiting until it goes away on the computer. An alternative method is to shutdown the PC and once it's off, turn off the radio and pull the USB cable.

da-Peter

ITs not the SD card. When I force re-write full database to scanner in a VM (win10) it works just fine. Where is the DB, my favorite lists and all that stuff located in windows? i want to copy that to my VM and then update again to see if its my database or if its windows

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
If Sentinel installed correctly on your Virtual Machine with Win 10... Using Windows file explorer... Look in the Documents Folder then in the Uniden folder... Thats were it usually puts the favorite lists etc...
Database is in a hidden folder called ProgramData... You have to unhide system folders to get to it...

Hide.jpg

da-Peter

when i did the read from scanner it even imported my favorites from the scanner to my win 10 machine. So it is an issue with win11 but i dont know what. I hate to go through VM all the time...
Somehow there is some issue while writing to sd card from win 11.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I don't see why... When the scanner is in Mass Storage Mode it looks like an external card reader to the computer... Just like a USB flash drive would...

da-Peter

yes, but i had it before where my PC would write something weird to it. It wrote the whole database to it but while writing it, the database got curropted. It can be on windows and their weird updates. I uninstalled a windows update, dont remember which one and was able to get it to work again. Its somehow how the files get transfered windows messes with them. So annoying now i have to go back and do it in a VM. Now i am everytime scared to update the database. Everything worked fine for so long...

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
when i did the read from scanner it even imported my favorites from the scanner to my win 10 machine. So it is an issue with win11 but i dont know what. I hate to go through VM all the time...
Somehow there is some issue while writing to sd card from win 11.
When you read from the scanner into Sentinel it doesn't read back the Database from the card...

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’ve always been a “cause and effect” guy until computers became common. I had to reluctantly ignore why something happened and be satisfied the corrective action taken was successful. If my scanner/computer began acting like yours I would first be thankful I preserved any backups of programming. And it’s a good idea to put those on a thumb drive. Next I would uninstall and reinstall the programming software from the computer and return the scanner to the default mode after replacing the SD Card with a factory reset. Then I would install my saved programing. If there is nothing more wrong than just a corruption of the programming software and/or the SD Card, that should restore my scanner to where it was before it became problematic.

I will not dispute the recommendation to undock your scanner’s drive before physically pulling the programing cable but I do that all the time and have never corrupted a card. They say that if you use the recording function and disrupt power to the scanner (where the scanner can’t write to the SD Card before it shuts down) can cause corruption. I run my SDS200 in my truck, hooked up to power that shuts off when the truck is shut off without issue-but have never used the record feature.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I’ve always been a “cause and effect” guy until computers became common. I had to reluctantly ignore why something happened and be satisfied the corrective action taken was successful. If my scanner/computer began acting like yours I would first be thankful I preserved any backups of programming. And it’s a good idea to put those on a thumb drive. Next I would uninstall and reinstall the programming software from the computer and return the scanner to the default mode after replacing the SD Card with a factory reset. Then I would install my saved programing. If there is nothing more wrong than just a corruption of the programming software and/or the SD Card, that should restore my scanner to where it was before it became problematic.

I will not dispute the recommendation to undock your scanner’s drive before physically pulling the programing cable but I do that all the time and have never corrupted a card. They say that if you use the recording function and disrupt power to the scanner (where the scanner can’t write to the SD Card before it shuts down) can cause corruption. I run my SDS200 in my truck, hooked up to power that shuts off when the truck is shut off without issue-but have never used the record feature.
If you aren't writing to the card when you "pull power" or pull the USB cable, you won't have problems. It only occurs when a write to the card is incomplete. Computers in particular, have delayed writes to storage devices. The delay may only be a few seconds but can be longer depending on what else is going on in the computer operating system.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
If you aren't writing to the card when you "pull power" or pull the USB cable, you won't have problems. It only occurs when a write to the card is incomplete. Computers in particular, have delayed writes to storage devices. The delay may only be a few seconds but can be longer depending on what else is going on in the computer operating system.
Yea… I’m just passing along a previous explanation of how a coruption happens. As I have never had that problem I can’t dispute your understanding, in fact, it does sound more plausible, I have worked with computers a good deal. I’m sure it has to do with disconnecting power WHILE the radio is writing to the card, such as when the record feature is on. And as stated, I never use the feature (or any other feature that may cause writing to the card while the scanner is on.