SDS100/SDS200: SDS 200 ethernet connection is spotty

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
The ethernet connection is hit and miss. I've tried different cables and different switches. It does not connect to my network nor does the connection lights come on. It was working for 9 months. Suddenly it has a mind of its own on making a connection.
Any troubleshooting tips?

Mark

Something I have not seen mentioned is what type of IP settings you are using? Fixed? DHCP? Are enough assigned in your router?

I would try fixed IP and reserve that IP for the scanner for reliability.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Could also be something wrong on the inside of the lan jack where it connects to the circuit board. Maybe like a csj. @ OP, does your scanner stay on all the time or is it turned off when not in use?

Burgess said: "comes on all by it's self. And then it stops. Sometimes right away. Sometimes it works for hours"

I'm also inclined to believe that it's the connection (csj or trace break) of the RJ45 to the circuit board.

aubertine

Premium Subscriber
I had a problem with another device (printer) that would randomly start using the same IP address as the scanner. This is with DHCP turned on. Best guess was the printer would go to sleep, DHCP would think the address was free and assign it to the scanner. Now I use reserved IP address for both my SDS200, BCD536HP and the printer. No problems. Check for IP conflicts.

burgus

Premium Subscriber
Static IP address.
I range all my static devices by groups. The scanner and the computer running proscan are in a group all to them self. 192.168.0.171 192.168.0.172

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Mr Burgus has convinced me of his bonafides.
So, I have assumed his level of expertise is >= as mine.
(Also have years in the biz - ILEC/CLEC, EE/PMI, TDM/glass, yada, yada...)

I'm really still leaning towards it being a layer1 issue, (physical).
Not sure if the RJ's solder joints are easily accessible in a 200, but if the 8 contacts in the RJ look good upon careful examination I'd be looking at solder joints...

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
For those of us with poor vision, this does a great job looking at stuff up close. I was surprised at the sharpness of the image.

Rotorhead124

I am having the same problems and it has not been correctable by the same things you tried. Has anyone ever solved this? I see people having this trouble, but never see a solution.