ProScan SDS-200 How can I create a private feed to an app?

W2IRT

Using Proscan, I have set up my audio and started my Web Server on Port 5000. Connecting with a browser works, but it is not mobile user friendly at all. When I use a browser on my Android phone to connect to my scanner more often than not my audio playback app takes over, but even if it doesn't, I have to zoom in on the browser app and try and tap the play icon every time I start the car. After running errands with it stopping and starting many times the server just ends up crashing and I have to restart Proscan. It's just not convenient for mobile use for me.

I want to use some kind of dedicated mobile-UI friendly app to playback my feed, however I do not wish to create a public feed. Too many departments near me have gone ENC and I don't want to give any ammunition to local towns to do the same. Thoughts?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Using the Web Server, don't need the web page to listen to the audio. Just input the audio URL in your favorite audio player. Example using mine: http://proscan10.ddns.net/stream.m3u You can also use dotted decimal notation. The disadvantage of using your audio player is the latency can be 15 seconds or longer.

Last edited:

W2IRT

Using the Web Server, don't need the web page to listen to the audio. Just input the audio URL in your favorite audio player. Example using mine: http://proscan10.ddns.net/stream.m3u You can also use dotted decimal notation. The disadvantage of using your audio player is the latency can be 15 seconds or longer.
I have a ddns.net URL and it definitely works--for a time--using Chrome for Android, but the UI is the problem. I'm not familiar with how to play back in the manner your suggest but it sounds like a good compromise. Ideally I'd like to use it with a dedicated scanner app but the one I have won't recognize my server and says it only wants mp3 files. I don't have any other players except the one to stream my MP3 collections via bluetooth.

The other problem I ran into several times in the last two days was after attempting to control the scanner from my vehicle, Proscan crashed on my Windows PC and I had to restart it, and restart the scanner, restart Proscan, re-initialize the audio feed and re-start the server. I don't know what's causing this, but it's a regular and repeatable problem. Thoughts?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The other problem I ran into several times in the last two days was after attempting to control the scanner from my vehicle, Proscan crashed on my Windows PC and I had to restart it, and restart the scanner, restart Proscan, re-initialize the audio feed and re-start the server. I don't know what's causing this, but it's a regular and repeatable problem. Thoughts?
Did ProScan start to crash the last two days? You're saying it's a regular and repeatable problem so has it been doing it for longer than two days? I'll look at it after the next version is out.

W2IRT

Did ProScan start to crash the last two days? You're saying it's a regular and repeatable problem so has it been doing it for longer than two days? I'll look at it after the next version is out.
It's been doing it after I've attempted to control the scanner remotely, using Chrome for Android on a Galaxy S20 Plus phone, via the cellphone network. I haven't tried it from any other device. I wanted to turn on a Favorites List when I drove into a different county and it stopped responding. In the most recent crash, I was on my way to dinner with a friend and attempted to make a change. It did make the change but crashed about a minute afterwards and remained down until I got home and closed Proscan manually.

I'm also getting security alerts for the URL. I have a self-signed certificate and both Firefox and Chrome on Android don't seem to like it. I've gone through the process of saying it's OK to go to that URL, but that's also an issue. But this is not part of the Proscan crashing problem.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm also getting security alerts for the URL. I have a self-signed certificate and both Firefox and Chrome on Android don't seem to like it. I've gone through the process of saying it's OK to go to that URL, but that's also an issue. But this is not part of the Proscan crashing problem.
Use a Let's Encrypt cert. and problem will go away.

W2IRT

Use a Let's Encrypt cert. and problem will go a way.
OK, that's on the docket for next week; thanks! For now, I'll be content to get a good connection working when I'm on the road, and to have the ability to activate and deactivate favorites lists while driving. Typical use case would be to turn off local towns and turn on the NJ state troopers when I get on the highway, and vice-versa.

W2IRT

I can't seem to make that work either. I opened port 80 to the PC running Proscan but I guess it's blocked by my ISP.

1682785092048.png

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I can't seem to make that work either. I opened port 80 to the PC running Proscan but I guess it's blocked by my ISP.
I take it that means you created a Port Forwarding rule for port 80 so that's good.

Perhaps temporarily disable any antivirus/internet security programs or add an exemption to all the antivirus/internet security programs running.

If it still doesn't work then try this in case your ISP is blocking port 80. I never had a need to do this but it may work.
1. Hotspot your phone.
2. Connect your computer to the phone WiFi hotspot.
3. Try obtaining a Let's Encrypt cert. again.

{edit} One way to test if the router port forwarding is setup and your ISP is not blocking port 80
1. Start the Web Server on port 80
2. Go to canyouseeme.org and enter in port 80.

W2IRT

I take it that means you created a Port Forwarding rule for port 80 so that's good.

Perhaps temporarily disable any antivirus/internet security programs or add an exemption to all the antivirus/internet security programs running.

If it still doesn't work then try this in case your ISP is blocking port 80. I never had a need to do this but it may work.
1. Hotspot your phone.
2. Connect your computer to the phone WiFi hotspot.
3. Try obtaining a Let's Encrypt cert. again.
It's definitely a Verizon thing. Port 80 is blocked. I'm on a hard-wired desktop that doesn't have a wifi card. Not sure how to connect to the hotspot. I'm very old school and like keeping everything hardwired.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It's definitely a Verizon thing. Port 80 is blocked. I'm on a hard-wired desktop that doesn't have a wifi card. Not sure how to connect to the hotspot. I'm very old school and like keeping everything hardwired.

Try what I suggested 1st
One way to test if the router port forwarding is setup and your ISP is not blocking port 80

Google hotspot phone

W2IRT

I know how to turn my phone into a hotspot (I tether my tablet to it when I'm in my Jeep), but I have no physical way to connect my desktop box running Proscan to a wifi network, short of going out and buying a wifi card or adapter, then I'd have to learn how or pay someone to come and hook it up. I'm not technically savvy enough to do that on my own...and then revert it all back to hardwired afterwards.

W2IRT

Try what I suggested 1st
One way to test if the router port forwarding is setup and your ISP is not blocking port 80

Google hotspot phone
No ports of any kind are visible using that site, including 80, 5000 or any others opened for other purposes. I'm guessing some kind of security program is blocking them. I don't know how to disable any of those. Windows 11 with Defender and Malwarebytes. I don't want to say too much about my security in a public forum.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
No ports of any kind are visible using that site, including 80, 5000 or any others opened for other purposes. I'm guessing some kind of security program is blocking them. I don't know how to disable any of those. Windows 11 with Defender and Malwarebytes. I don't want to say too much about my security in a public forum.
I'm out of suggestions. Perhaps someone that has run into this before may chime in.

{edit} I would do some online searches to find out how to do some things.

W2IRT

I'm out of suggestions. Perhaps someone that has run into this before may chime in.
A slight correction. Port 5000 is indeed visible. The server was down because Proscan had crashed, unfortunately. I restarted it and port 5000 opened up. BUT, port 80 is still blocked despite my having a port forwarding rule set up in my router. I also don't know how to disable windows security software. I'm back to using a self-signed certificate for now.

Are there any ways to get a certificate on another port? Also still not able to figure out what program on my mobile phone I should be using to play the audio in my car.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Good to know that port 5000 is blocked to. Version shouldn't block that port so I'm guessing something in the Port Forwarding is not setup correctly.
The Port Forwarding needs three things.
1. Use TCP (or TCP and UDP)
2. Port 5000
3. Computer IP address

Port 5000 is working so cancel that.

W2IRT

As far as I know, Let's Encrypt needs port 80. I don't have a work around. Maybe someone does that will chime in.
Appreciate the try. It would be nice to get a certificate, but that's kinda less important to me than getting control and audio to my car.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It would be nice to get a certificate
Google search 'verizon blocks port 80'
This is the 1st page that came up. Read all the replies.

{edit} This link is 10 years old so it may not apply if Verizon changed the policy recently to block incoming port 80.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It would be nice to get a certificate,
If port 80 is blocked by the ISP then I think the only way to get a cert. is by using a ACME client such as Certbot that can obtain a cert. using a DNS-01 challenge and not a HTTP-01 challenge. That's advanced and I have no more info on that. I just Google search everything.

Your question' Why can't ProScan use DNS-01 challenge'? It would take several months to do the R&D if it's even possible and I have many high priority items I want to do.