SDS 200 Question Re Front Panel, And On Calling Up the Serial Mode . Option

BOBRR

Hello,

a. I remember quite a ways back there were posts regarding
the fact that the front panel "USB A" Port is not used for "anything".

Is this still true, and that any USB connection to the radio must be made (only) thru the "Micro USB front panel port ?

b. Am trying to use the "SR Control" APP.
How do I get the radio when turning it on to display the "." to press (serial mode option), which is apparently
required by this APP ?

Sometimes it appears, and sometimes it does not.

How do I call this option up, please ?

As always, thanks,
Bob

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
a. I remember quite a ways back there were posts regarding
the fact that the front panel "USB A" Port is not used for "anything".
Not entirely true. The port on the front does supply power. I run a Vonets WiFi bridge off that usb. I have also ran my 436 off that port as well.

Is this still true, and that any USB connection to the radio must be made (only) thru the "Micro USB front panel port ?

Not sure about the back but know when I tried it for programming, it did not work properly. Its marked for future use, and that was 4 years ago. Maybe if they ever release some FW updates, that port and its intended function may be announced.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Not sure about the back but know when I tried it for programming, it did not work properly. Its marked for future use, and that was 4 years ago. Maybe if they ever release some FW updates, that port and its intended function may be announced.
Would love for that to be a programming port. Not a fan of cables on the front.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
How do I get the radio when turning it on to display the "." to press (serial mode option), which is apparently
required by this APP ?

If the SDS200 is already on and no cable is connected.... connecting a USB cable from the micro USB port on the front of the scanner to your computer will bring up the screen to choose Serial or Mass Storage mode.

If the scanner is off and the USB cable is already connected.... turning on the scanner will bring up the screen to choose Serial or Mass Storage mode a few seconds after the scanner boots up.

Turning on the SDS200 without a USB cable connected will not bring up the screen to choose Serial or Mass Storage mode.

weyforthr

Premium Subscriber
A solution I found to quickly allow the SDS200 to bring up the "choose Serial or Mass Storage mode" while the scanner is on is to use a USB hub such as the atolla 4-port usb 3.0 hub between the SDS200 micro USB port and PC. It is a powered hub, and each port has a power switch. You don't need to power the hub with the power adapter if the hub is plugged into a PC USB port (or maybe the SDS200's USB A port. I haven't tried, yet) that supplies the necessary voltage/current.

To bring up the choose mode message, press the switch to turn the USB port off, wait a second or two for the scanner to "softly" reset, and then press the switch to turn the port on. In a moment or so, the choose mode message will appear. This method probably saves wear and tear on the scanner USB connection and on/off switch.

I am sure "other people" have done this before.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Would love for that to be a programming port. Not a fan of cables on the front.
I like the front programming port. It’s especially appreciated when you can’t reach the rear of the scanner such as an in-dash or in- install. A programming cable could be attached to a rear port before the install but without a strap to keep it secured it could juggle loose over time. But just because I like my front ports doesn’t mean I would object to rear ports… ideally both could have been designed into the radio. One thing I would like are dust covers for the exposed ports regardless of their location. I keep my programming port protected using a right-angle programming cable. It’s always plugged in right there when I need it for programming. Having the cable attached to the scanner does not cause the scanner to ask to choose between Serial or Mass Storage mode as long as it’s not plugged into anything on the other end. I store the programming cord underneath the scanner which is mounted on my dash.