SDS100/SDS200: SDS200 looses audio

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
This problem has had two previous threads (that I found) that either wandered off topic or just sympathized with the problem with a few others who are also experiencing the same thing joining in. And since the first was thread was closed…

My SDS200 looses audio after it’s been on for a period of time. I haven’t measured that time but I believe it’s not a constant. When it happens the length of time has varied.

Before you pass judgement on this next statement, read it in its entirety; I use a passive external speaker that has a poorly wired speaker connection and can be intermittent unless I position the speaker where the connection stays good. Yes, I could fix the connection on the speaker, and I will shortly. But right now I don’t want to do anything to change my configuration. When I first noticed the audio loss I suspected it was the poor speaker connection and not the radio. I had a way of determining which without physically touching or moving the speaker. I went into the menu and chose “WX Operation>Weather Scan” to see if I could get any audio out of the external speaker… I did. Each time I suspected I was experiencing a loss of audio I checked in this manner and determined the external speaker was not at fault. That left nothing to blame but the radio or how it was programmed. Is it a programming issue? Maybe a bug just discovered? I don’t know. All I DO know is a simple reboot makes the problem go away… at least until it happens again. It’s very annoying when it happens.

As for settings-I don’t use any filter settings whatsoever. I have no problems hearing that which I want and no simulcast issues. So I’ve turned off the Global Filter setting and made sure each individual channel/site shows filters are Off. I also do not use any QKeys on any level. I have nothing against them, just never needed them, but will if it fixes this lack of audio issue!

Has there been posted solutions I have missed? Or possibly someone who has success eliminating it but didn’t post it yet?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If the weather channels work then you aren’t losing audio. Does it stop on channels and have no audio or is it not stopping on channels when this happens

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I have thought I had the same problem a few times myself.
No external speaker and ProScan wasn't active at the time.
It was so infrequent, I never really did any troubleshooting, I just rebooted.
So..... there very likely is a bug somewhere - I just never figured out where....

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Is this happening across the board or just in the newer versions of the 200... As in chip's replaced with something newer...

My 200 is three years old and I've never seen that happen... And it runs 24/7...
And I use an external speaker...

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Is this happening across the board or just in the newer versions of the 200... As in chip's replaced with something newer...

My 200 is three years old and I've never seen that happen... And it runs 24/7...
And I use an external speaker...

My 200 is at least 3 years old....

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I should add I've never had it drop audio running my 200 with ProScan either...
Running the audio thru the computer or just the scanner itself...

TongSlinger

Longtime Listener
Premium Subscriber
I have been having the same problems. The SDS200 is only scanning DMR systems in my local area. It operates 24/7 and loses audio every 24-36 hours of operation, confirmed by hitting the NWS channels and it confirm thee silence. A simple power cycle with correct the problem for 24 -36 hours The SDS200 is connected and controlled by a computer using ProScan connected to the LAN port. The 200 does not stream thru IP nor does the audio. The 200 is connected to an external speaker for audio.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’m not disputing a possible “bug” but I have to withdraw my original post that I was experiencing the same as the OP. After I posted I decided I should set up another scanner. I have an additional SDS200 and a SDS100. I set up the SDS100, programmed with the same profile I was running on the questionable SDS200. And since that same profile could be in question I set up a third portable ham radio with the local PD and FD frequencies. My results showed I was just experiencing a decrease in radio traffic. When there were transmissions, all three radios came to life. They say there’s validation in numbers, but I must reduce that number by one. My SDS200 does not exhibit any particular “bug”, which may or may not exist.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’m not disputing a possible “bug” but I have to withdraw my original post that I was experiencing the same as the OP. After I posted I decided I should set up another scanner. I have an additional SDS200 and a SDS100. I set up the SDS100, programmed with the same profile I was running on the questionable SDS200. And since that same profile could be in question I set up a third portable ham radio with the local PD and FD frequencies. My results showed I was just experiencing a decrease in radio traffic. When there were transmissions, all three radios came to life. They say there’s validation in numbers, but I must reduce that number by one. My SDS200 does not exhibit any particular “bug”, which may or may not exist.
I have since rethought this as I have now started to loose audio on the “good” SDS200. (My original setup had my “bad” SDS200 mounted in my truck. Thinking the cold weather [Ct.] was causing the audio loss I swapped it out with my “good” SDS200 residing inside my house. Both scanners seemed to now be working, with the problematic one, now located in the house experiencing the audio loss much less frequently, so much less frequently that it was less bothersome. And as Uniden didn’t have a “fix”, I didn’t send it in for warranty work. But now the “good” one mounted in my truck is experiencing the same malady. And that setup has a good amplified external speaker. The problem is with the scanners, not any defective external speaker connection. I have concluded there is in fact a “bug” associated with this audio problem… and Uniden has yet to determine cause and/or correction. My only finding seems to be ambient temperature… cold environments. But I can’t say for sure as my findings are hardly verifiable… I have not the lab equipment or knowledge to define positively.

Ubbe

Didn't several people send in their SDS200's for this exact problem of audio loss and they got them back with the mainboard replaced and worked fine. If it only affects digital signals it has to be a bad DSP IC or the connected components to it.

/Ubbe

Dalan

Premium Subscriber
I've had my SDS200 lose audio if I leave it plugged into the USB port on the computer and the computer reboots. The radio appears to be scanning normally but there is no audio. Unplugging the radio from the computer 'fixes' the problem.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Different audio issue… not just digital, it’s all audio. When mine acts up I tune to the weather frequencies to determine if it’s just dead air space (nobody talking) or a total loss of audio. A simple reboot brings it back (at least every time it’s happened to me).