• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Setting up network what range can I expect? DR3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazerc

Hi

I'm new here.
I've been tasked with researching, procuring and installing a commercial radio network.

It needs to be low cost, simple to use handsets with not too many buttons for untrained people to use, robust, encrypted and should have a system in place should a handset become lost that it can be disabled.

I will need around 5 repeaters to cover the various sites.
I have 2 sites that are around 20KM apart.

This network will be set up In Asia. There isn't any issues with licences or freq allocations so I can use what ever I want.

The repeaters will be set up in a rural area with small towns and villages. It is a developing country so there isn't any internet there. So I couldn't really use IP connect in this situation.

Is there anyway to use the repeaters radio signal as the connections between the repeaters?
All of the sites we will be using generators as there isn't any mains electricity.

What kind of range would I expect the portable radios to have to the repeaters if the repeaters were elevated on a 2 story building with the surounding area flat with only single story buildings?

Would the DR3000 repeater be able to cover this 20km distance to the next repeater site?
What is the max range in an open flat area of the DR3000 with the antenna of a 10m height?
Would the MTR3000 be more suitable? are they compatible with each other?

does the DP3400 need an encryption board? or is encryption built in?

Would the GP340 be a suitible handset? what kind of range would these have going to the repeaters?

Thanks for your help

dazerc

Has nobody used a DR3000 repeter before and have any rough range it would operate?

colby4601

Maybe you should be consulting with a consulting firm as opposed to an online forum which is primarily dedicated to the hobby of scanning. Just a suggestion.

dazerc

Maybe you should be consulting with a consulting firm as opposed to an online forum which is primarily dedicated to the hobby of scanning. Just a suggestion.

This is not the scanning section of the forum though.
There are lots of other threads about people setting up networks for sheffifs departments in the US and lots of Ham radio clubs seam to have repeaters set up.

I'm just trying to gain as much knowledge myself before I go to a company to purchase equipment.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
This is not the scanning section of the forum though.
There are lots of other threads about people setting up networks for sheffifs departments in the US and lots of Ham radio clubs seam to have repeaters set up.

I'm just trying to gain as much knowledge myself before I go to a company to purchase equipment.

There is a HUGE difference between some hams setting up a local 2 meter repeater and the type of system you are talking about. And you can bet that most of the talk here in any of the forums is not the basis for multimillion dollar purchasing decisions for sheriff's departments and other local government operations.

You need a consultant and engineering assistance to determine what will work for you. First and foremost, terrain matters, big time. None of us can give you the advice you want based on a few paragraphs of general description. There are some complex calculations needed along with precise terrain information to even begin to create a system to meet your needs.

You would be much better off to contact Motorola (or other manufacturer) and explain your needs to them. They have the detailed knowledge about their current products to get you pointed in the right direction. And they can help you find a engineer and consultant who have the expertise to correctly design a system for you.

wyomingmedic

Truthfully, linking 5 repeaters together, covering distances of up to 20km between machines, is not going to be easy or cheap.

And simply throwing an antenna on the roof of a 2 story building will probably not cover the distances. You will need repeaters, cavity filters, antennas, feedline, grounding, and radios and antennas and such for the link radios.

The repeaters can link together with RF. Hams usually use VHF repeaters and link them together with a UHF frequency. So a VHF repeater will operate and will re-transmit the audio over the UHF frequency which the other repeaters will receive and then retransmit, and so on and so forth.

In truth, it is a complicating process. Getting audio levels set correctly and RF paths solid, usually takes some time and experience.

If I were to be budgeting for a SOLID linked VHF repeater system with UHF backhaul, covering 5 systems, I would budget $5k per site. You could do it cheaper and crappier, but you WILL have reliability problems and downtime. There is a price to pay for stability.

So IMO, $25K just for hardware. Then include shipping it to rural Asia and programming and install and such, and you could hit $35-40K. And even doing it cheaper (about $2k per site), you are looking at $20K.

But I am FAR from an authority. I just work with several linked ham groups and public safety folks. TO get a real answer, you should contact a consulting firm.

WM

dazerc

Thank you for your information it has been really useful.
I'm going to contact a consulting agency but I just wanted to get enough information first so I didn't go to them and look silly asking for something that wasn't possible.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
You have to let go of the repeater range questions, there is no answer to them. Make sure those repeater antennas are in line of sight with each other and you'll have no problem. A 2 story building isn't high enough unless your in the open desert. Same thing with the portable radios, the higher that repeater antenna goes the greater change you have of receiving the portable radios signal. You would need someone to be there on the ground to figure out exactly what will work.

wtfover

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There are a lot of unanswered questions here.

1. What you consider low cost and what others consider low cost isn't going to be the same. Remember with cheaper equipment you could run into a long list of problems.

2. You mentioned getting any freq you wanted, so are you looking at analog? Digital? Encrpytion?

3. Linking can be done by RF (6ghz microwave) but its not going to be cheap

4. You stated using generators. You will need to have in place a good surge protector to keep the spikes from frying your equipment.

5. Your going to need towers, grounding material, feedline, connectors, etc

There is a whole slew of other things you need to worry about also. I would take the suggestion and contact a company that deals with this stuff everyday. I will say though, money wise your best bet would be to look into a Motorola MotoTrbo system.

Status
Not open for further replies.