Shortwave Radio Help

xzebra007

Looking at either the ATS25 Max decoder or a XHDATA D808 for a shortwave radio and was wondering if anyone has had hands on with either or preferably both? I hear the 808 has a better antenna out of the box for receiving SW bands and want something that willl assist if communications go down.. I understand cables and wires can increase this receptions, but looking at all options at this point.

Blackswan73

For just a little bit more money you could buy a Belka DX. One of the if not the best SW portable on the market. Google it
The ATS-25 is basically a ATS-20 with a touch screen added. You can buy the ATS-20 for less than $50
B.S.

xzebra007

For just a little bit more money you could buy a Belka DX. One of the if not the best SW portable on the market. Google it
The ATS-25 is basically a ATS-20 with a touch screen added. You can buy the ATS-20 for less than $50
B.S.
Thank you for your help...Looks the Belka does not have a speaker is this correct?

Blackswan73

The base radio does not include a speaker. You can buy an optional speaker that replaces the back panel. Or you can use an external speaker like the JBL GO2. Or other similar speakers. The Belka only costs about $150 US. I paid $169 with speaker included

B.S.

xzebra007

The base radio does not include a speaker. You can buy an optional speaker that replaces the back panel. Or you can use an external speaker like the JBL GO2. Or other similar speakers. The Belka only costs about $150 US. I paid $169 with speaker included

B.S.
Thanks again for the help...how is this better from the other two options and where can you purchase? I am not seeing much online regarding the Bella????

Blackswan73

You can purchase the Belka directly from the designer’s website in Belarus.
. Note: some banks will not be easy to transfer funds to Belarus. Best option is to use Apple wallet or similar services. My bank choked at first but after calling them and assuring them it was a legitimate purchase by me, they approved it

B.S.

Blackswan73

Read reviews on several sites. Like I said before google it. The are several reviews on it and a couple of threads on this forum. In brief, it has been favorably compared to high end communications receivers. I researched it thoroughly before I decided to buy it. And to boot the designer and builder is a member on this forum

B.S.

xzebra007

Read reviews on several sites. Like I said before google it. The are several reviews on it and a couple of threads on this forum. In brief, it has been favorably compared to high end communications receivers. I researched it thoroughly before I decided to buy it. And to boot the designer and builder is a member on this forum

B.S.
I still like the simplicity of the others a bit more, and not sure if I want to give a bank account to an overseas company...seems sketch a bit without knowing much more at this time. Not saying you are wrong, but just looking at this time, however I certainly appreciate all of you help and information for sure.

Blackswan73

You can buy it in the US, but you will pay a hefty markup. Several people on this forum have purchased it directly from Alex. Takes about six weeks to get it. Due to customs and red tape.

B.S.

majoco

Stirrer
The ATS25-max promises everything but unfortunately doesn't give much. The operating manual (ie - scrap of paper) is next to useless so it's a matter of just sitting down and playing with it. They provide a telescopic antenna which works alright if you want to play outdoors as it seems to pick up every scrap of noise from inside the house. It has a spectrum display which is useful but insensitive and only covers say one SW BC band at a time - you can move the cursor over the signal which it will then receive as you'd expect. It has a rather frustrating 'memory' listing system but if you make a typing error it sends you off to another page which seems to be European VHF stations. Connect it to an outside antenna and it overloads quite easily so I made a 10dB attenuator which helps but really shouldn't be necessary. As far as I can see the AGC doesn't work and there is an "ATT" button which does nothing either. All in all, a Tecsun works much much better.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
You won’t go wrong buying a belka. Bought mine 2 years ago. No issues using my credit card. Just takes a bit of time to get it. Trust me, the wait is worth it. My belka is the most sensitive of all the radios I own.