Laird Single Band Antennas for Receive Application

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
One of the most enjoyable aspects of the hobby for me is tropo DX'ing, and in my location on Cape Cod near the east coast I've had historically great results over the years. I have primarily used Comet antennas such as the GP9NC and GP6NC to do so as both are dual band antennas for the VHF-HI and UHF bands. I'm also in a high wind area and as those antennas are assembled in sections I have always questioned those connections as weak points with the antennas. Given their size as well they are cumbersome to take down and repair in the event one of the junctions does in fact separate.

I have been looking at the following two Laird antennas for reception on VHF-HI and UHF. Obviously they don't have enough bandwidth to cover the entire bands, not many antennas do. Their gain is not as high as the Comet antennas are reported to be either, but on the plus side they are contained within one enclosure. It would of course be my intention to feed them with a minimum of LMR400. The runs are approximately 75 feet from my tower to radio room.

Has anyone used these antennas in a receive application and if so how did they/are they working for you? I'd also be interested in any thoughts on mono-band alternatives that are within a similar price range.

This is a spring project. I also plan to use some single band yagis as well but definitely want some band specific omnidirectional antennas. Any thoughts are welcome and thanks in advance.

prcguy

Why not look for used/surplus commercial antennas at swap meets, Craigs List, etc? Over the years I've picked up a 21ft Shakespeare marine base antenna 155-164MHz for $25 (very recent find), at least four broad band 4-bay VHF dipole arrays, mostly all new between $50 and $75, countless UHF broad band base antennas including a 450-470 DB-404 for $75, a DB-408 for free, two monster 450-470 DB-420s in the $75 range a 450-470 DB-413 for $100, a split feed version of a DB-413 for $100 and at least a dozen others of various sizes and frequency ranges for cheap cheap cheap.

Here is one guys place I was invited to for shopping and these were all stripped off commercial towers and available cheap, which happens to be my middle name.

1710778183633.jpeg

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I have an inquiry in with someone regarding such options, actually. The logistical issue is transport which definitely can be accomplished with some assistance. Ironically he may have access to a 21' VHF-Hi antenna as well, not sure of the manufacturer yet.

Trying to approach it from all angles. Thanks for this suggestion, though. I've never been a Craigslist fan but fortunately I do have some other inroads.