• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Site Roaming / Simulcast

jcefd10

Recently we have been having a LOT of issues with the power grid in our area. Being as it's really rural, it's not the best but is being upgraded. If it storms you can guarantee we will lose power to one of the repeater sites.
I want to set everything up here with the easiest to use for the end user and have some redundancy at the same time.
I have Internet at both repeater sites, and the LE repeaters are already linked together.
I've tinkered with the site roaming feature on the LE repeaters and it seemed to work pretty well for my testing. Granted the Sheriff was totally against it because he can't scan every channel in existence like he wants and site roam at the same time (well maybe he can with multi zone scan but that's another thing) so I'm not worried about LE this time. We will focus on Fire/EMS.

Fire/EMS uses 2 NXR-710 repeaters. One main, one secondary. Not linked at the moment but waiting on the KTI-3's to get here. We, and 911 has to swap manually to the secondary one when the main one loses power. (The power issue there is almost resolved as a new generator was installed today)

Here's the kicker, they both use the SAME RX/TX frequency but different RAN codes.

Main question - From what I've read, you cannot site roam with 2 repeaters with the same RX/TX. You have to use simulcast, which seems to be a way bigger deal than I'm going for.
Did I read that incorrectly? Would there be an issue with them using the same freq, but diff RAN for site roaming? I want to set up FD/EMS to site roam so in the event that the main site goes down, it will swap to the secondary and the user will not have to manually swap to the other repeater. To me, switching manually is fine. But I feel as if I'm asking some of the other users to do advanced algebra with their eyes closed.
Is there any other ways I might accomplish what I'm wanting?

Forgive me if there is info that I did not include that is needed. This may be a dumb idea, but I really think it will help with some of the the communication issues everyones complains about here. Those complaints are 90% user error so I'm trying to eliminate that.

Thanks guys!

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
1, YES YOU CAN HAVE THE SAME FREQ DIFFERENT CODES
* need to have a beacon running though so the radios know which is active.

1694042504942.png

NOW my question is, do you have a fault switch that will turn the other repeater on, OR do you have a repeater take-over programmed into
the db25 so that when RPTR 1 is active, it prevent RPTR 2 from being used until the circuit goes (high or low) and enables the repeater?

Do the repeaters co-locate?

jcefd10

They are not co-located, Main site is in heart of the county, the secondary is on the south end, on the highway.
There is no fault switch, or take-over programmed at the moment. Currently they are just 2 standalone repeaters. The secondary just stays powered on, but dormant until needed.

I have not changed anything on them yet, I didn't want to do a lot of changing things until I had the KTI-3s in hand. I've been waiting on them forever. Hopefully it won't be long now.

The 2 repeaters do share the same TX RAN currently, so that we can use the FD Ground channel the same no matter which repeater we may have to use. Will that cause an issue?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
They are not co-located, Main site is in heart of the county, the secondary is on the south end, on the highway.
There is no fault switch, or take-over programmed at the moment. Currently they are just 2 standalone repeaters. The secondary just stays powered on, but dormant until needed.

I have not changed anything on them yet, I didn't want to do a lot of changing things until I had the KTI-3s in hand. I've been waiting on them forever. Hopefully it won't be long now.

The 2 repeaters do share the same TX RAN currently, so that we can use the FD Ground channel the same no matter which repeater we may have to use. Will that cause an issue?
if each RX RAN is different, but the TX RAN is same, should be okay for now.
just know if someone keys up on the secondary by mistake, it will cause garble data

jcefd10

Any recommended settings on repeater/radio as far as times and such for the roaming?

jcefd10

I want to bump this really quick as I had a thought.
So the county shot down my idea of Site Roaming. So I'll be doing another IP site link on these 2 repeaters instead of a Site Roam. As stated before, the RX/TX of the repeaters is the same, only the RAN is different.
I don't want to change that with the site linked, because they will try to walk over one another, correct?

EDIT: I know it's aq stupid question.

hst111

Use Site Roaming with RAN at same frequency. Set up different RAN in two repeaters.
In NXR CPS, set up the main repeater as primary and use beacon for site roaming, like 8000ms.
Enter the repeater IP address and set the secondary as secondary in CPS/networks.

(Don't use secondary(discontinued), if the primary is down that secondary will stop beacon.)