SLATER - P25 for St Louis County, St Charles County, Jefferson county

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM5LZ

Distorted or Garbled audio

Difficulty receiving the SLATER P25 system for St. Charles County PD and Fire. I hear clean audio then garbled audio then it clears up again occasionally I hear a full transmission in the clear. I receive the OFallon 700 MHz system and MOSWIN P25 systems with no distorted or garbled audio. I am using a RS 106 with a Watson W-889 antenna signal strength seems ok. I am located in OFallon, MO. I have read a lot of posts on RR about this but would like to hear from others in our area about these systems. Any suggestions on what's going on and how to fix it greatly appreciated?

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Difficulty receiving the SLATER P25 system for St. Charles County PD and Fire. I hear clean audio then garbled audio then it clears up again occasionally I hear a full transmission in the clear. I receive the OFallon 700 MHz system and MOSWIN P25 systems with no distorted or garbled audio. I am using a RS 106 with a Watson W-889 antenna signal strength seems ok. I am located in OFallon, MO. I have read a lot of posts on RR about this but would like to hear from others in our area about these systems. Any suggestions on what's going on and how to fix it greatly appreciated?

Simulcast distortion. I've had luck with setting my squelch low on my unidens, a yagi pointed at 1 tower might help.

teufler

Lake St Louis, Cottleville and Dardenne Prairie are still on their respective systems. All vhf analog. On Slater, I have fm, not nbfm fort slater, seems to solve most of the garbled sounds. I am in St Peters

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Lake St Louis, Cottleville and Dardenne Prairie are still on their respective systems. All vhf analog. On Slater, I have fm, not nbfm fort slater, seems to solve most of the garbled sounds. I am in St Peters

Thanks for confirming the above users are still on their analog systems.
I cannot get good clean signals from them here so I did not normally monitor them. I wonder if they will move or declined to join into the new P25 system?
And O'Fallon, I wonder if they will stay on the 1CE 700 MHz system or eventually change over to the new 4F2 SLATER system.

You ever hear any Troop C Moswin traffic come over the O'Fallon 1CE system? It's weird they are heard on the STL City north site.
I noticed Terry removed the Troop C listings from the STL City database at St. Louis City / Lambert Airport (P25) Trunking System, St Louis City, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies.

I think those Troop C Moswin listings should be put back under the STL City system as they are heard on the STL City North site 201.
I still have a favorite list in my x36HP models that contains the MOSWIN talkgroups because if I created a new list from the master database, the MOSWIN talkgroups would no longer show up on the STL City system being as they were removed.
I still have the Moswin TGs in groups under the STL City system on my 3/996 models as well as the GRE radios also.

I never noticed O'Fallon's site show up as a neighbor on any of the VHF Moswin sites or the main city 800 MHz North site 201. I think O'Fallon did show as a neighbor to 201 in the past but it no longer does.
It's kind of like they removed the O'Fallon site from any affiliations with the STL City system or Moswin even though it is still a 1CE site the last I looked. I can no longer get a decent signal from the O'Fallon site to decode the CC so I can't see what is going on with that site.

Does the O'Fallon site show any neighbor sites when you look at its control channel Site Info screen data with Pro96com?
I know users out there used to see some of the STL City talkgroups like Citywide or Info A show up on the O'Fallon site.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
With the approaching winter weather, i'm getting traffic from some unidentified TGs talking about salting, plowing etc. Might be good opportunity for everyone to log some TGs and RIDs.

sjhapke

Dardenne Prairie is a County PD contract. As such, they should be on SLATER.

Patrol Division | St Charles County, MO - Official Website

My observations have LSL, Cottleville and O'Fallon still on their own systems - LSL/Cottleville on VHF and O'Fallon on their existing 700Mhz System.

KM5LZ

Slater P25

Simulcast distortion. I've had luck with setting my squelch low on my unidens, a yagi pointed at 1 tower might help.

Thanks to all that responded to my question on Slater system. I tried all the suggestions still no luck but would like to try a beam antenna aimed at a tower site. Can someone tell me where the closest tower site is located from Mexico Rd and Highway K in OFallon for the Slater system.

KM5LZ

Jsb3

No reception with new St.Charles Slater Freqs

Just as the previous poster, I live near Mexico Road and K.

Using a Pro 106, 800 MHz rubber antennae,Win500 program software, have all the St. Charles Freqs Slater list set as P25 auto and receive nothing, no hits, no static.

Never had this issue before the change, and I assume they broadcast from Tom Ginnever station.

I do receive OFallon with no issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Just as the previous poster, I live near Mexico Road and K.

Using a Pro 106, 800 MHz rubber antennae,Win500 program software, have all the St. Charles Freqs Slater list set as P25 auto and receive nothing, no hits, no static.

Never had this issue before the change, and I assume they broadcast from Tom Ginnever station.

I do receive OFallon with no issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

If it's a true simulcast system, EVERY tower is broadcasting.

KM5LZ

Slater P25 Distorted Audio

I did a little field testing yesterday with the same rig I use at home. The first stop was the tower site behind the Elks Lodge at 1163 Tom Ginnever Avenue O'Fallon, MO. While sitting at the tower I had no distortion or over load on the signal. I then drove south to I-64 about 8 miles away there I had some distortion and signal drop. It looks like my problem is I need a better antenna at home.

stlouisx50

Pro106 users - I am also using the Pro-106 and have too had problems getting good signals no matter where I am. I have been in Ofallon, Lake St. Louis, Cottleville, St. Peters and St. Charles. I would get good audio and then it would be garbled and drop out. I would also miss replies to radio traffic. I (HAD) all 3 sites programed in and set to roam. I removed all CC. frequencies but one sites and saved. It seems to be picking up the signal flawlessly and I am no longer missing replies.

In order for the scanner to pick up all 3 sites using roam, I am betting that a custom table needs to be setup.

N2JDS

I removed all CC. frequencies but one sites and saved. It seems to be picking up the signal flawlessly and I am no longer missing replies.

Which site did you keep, just the St. Charles Co ones et all, or did you narrow it down to just one CC?

dougbk

Premium Subscriber
O'Fallon and Lake St Louis/Cottleville will be going to the Slater p25 system just like the rest of the county after some hardware issues are worked out (couple of months). They are using T1 or fiber optic type lines as opposed to microwave towers like everyone else.

KM5LZ

Slater p25 Distortion

Do all three county systems carry the same transmissions simultaneously from the other counties? In other words can I receive a SCCPD broadcast on the St. Louis County site if it is programmed in? My location is in the middle of three towers within a 5 mile radius and may be the cause of my problem with simulcast distortion. My thinking is if I can receive a tower from another site it will most likely be a stronger signal than the rest and reduce the out of phase distortion. Currently my antenna is a BNC and 1 inch of coax and I still have full scale signal strength.. Any ideas on this or am I wrong.

Thanks KM5LZ

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I do not think any user is heard on any other system. So far only St Charles units are on the St Charles system. Kind of sucks for us south end folks. Can't hear anything up north. One of the drawbacks of 700/800 systems. They just don't travel far. Unlike the MOSWIN
I can hear them multiple counties away on high band.

jaydigga

Premium Subscriber
Just FYI for those interested, Jefferson County will be switching over sometime between 2/2 and 2/6. I work in the area, rumor is that the police side will be fully encrypted. I hope not, but thats the rumor

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
I do not think any user is heard on any other system. So far only St Charles units are on the St Charles system. Kind of sucks for us south end folks. Can't hear anything up north. One of the drawbacks of 700/800 systems. They just don't travel far. Unlike the MOSWIN
I can hear them multiple counties away on high band.

This is technically one system, they all share one system ID, TGs, and RIDs. Therefore they can affiliate on any of the 3 via their TG. They are simply denying affiliations on the other sites, presumably due to testing.

mad6130

programing bcd536hp scanner

I was trying to program my new scanner with the program proscan and it doesn't give me an option to do so is there a newer version I updated mine to 7.4 and it still wont give me any options to do so maybe someone knows another program to use any ideas

Thanks mark

Status
Not open for further replies.