SOD going to CW4

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Goes something like this

Good evening officers hope you have a safe and secure tour our confidence and trust is in you as always you are like a symphony in blue beautiful played out

Think it goes like this

PM me I have information for you that you may like to know

coolrich55

So what is the purpose of changing the system to simulcast, if not for a major change to digital? Was there a problem with the current system?

coolrich55

I would assume I will no longer be able to hear s o d out here in Somerset County New Jersey. Most likely it will be low power directional transmitter sites which are lower in elevation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think you're right. Besides that the FDNY simulcast system doesn't even sound that great when you're right near the city. I would call it choppy, cuts in and out.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Before we make too much of this SOD thing and potential encryption, etc, let's remember something: the NYPD was the first agency to seek, and get, a waiver on narrowbanding SOLELY because of the cost of doing such a thing throughout the department was prohibitive. And the city has a lot less money now than it did then. And one of their other arguments were that the move to 700 was just down the road a bit.

But after the "interference" that was heard on the air during New Year's Eve at Times Square, I can see them investing a smaller amount of money now for a "mobilization" frequency or frequencies with a form of encryption and for field radio identification and control.

And considering what political priorities the present mayor of NYC has for the future which cost tons of money (and his personal and political disdain for the police), I could see the NYPD seeking yet another "waiver" for the 700 changeover, too, to avoid laying out the money for that.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Simulcast sounds like crap on a scanner whether it is digital or analog. I understand that the system is designed for its users and that commercial radios are designed to take advantage of it. But this is primarily a scanner listener forum, so...

Then it sounds like your set up is in question. I have various scanners, old and new and I do not have any issues with analog simulcast on them.

D

DaveNF2G

There is no "setup" involved. There are no parameters that the scanner user can control to monitor analog simulcast. If you're not in the primary coverage area or if one signal is not strong enough to capture the receiver, then it sounds like co-channel interference all the time.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
There is no "setup" involved. There are no parameters that the scanner user can control to monitor analog simulcast. If you're not in the primary coverage area or if one signal is not strong enough to capture the receiver, then it sounds like co-channel interference all the time.

Something wrong with your gear then.

D

DaveNF2G

Every scanner I own, of every brand I own, all defective? I doubt it.

The analog conventional simulcast system that caused the most trouble ended up being misconfigured. My reception improved dramatically when they adjusted the timing.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Worth noting that NYPD currently has one analog simulcast system - the new(ish) WTC zone. It was an absolute monster to set up to get coverage across the area and on all floors of the tower.

The current P25 channels (IAB, CW4 (when it's not analog), CMD, etc) are three site (IIRC) digital simulcast systems.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
Worth noting that NYPD currently has one analog simulcast system - the new(ish) WTC zone. It was an absolute monster to set up to get coverage across the area and on all floors of the tower.

The current P25 channels (IAB, CW4 (when it's not analog), CMD, etc) are three site (IIRC) digital simulcast systems.
Is the WTC zone on 470.6625?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

coolrich55

Is it a very active freq? I've only heard a few transmissions whenever I was out there. Sounded perfectly fine too, just as good as any nypd freq. Aren't fdny dispactch frequencies simulcast systems? Much different sounding. Not as good.

KA2ZEY

And considering what political priorities the present mayor of NYC has for the future which cost tons of money (and his personal and political disdain for the police), I could see the NYPD seeking yet another "waiver" for the 700 changeover, too, to avoid laying out the money for that.

Disdain for the police? LOL ok

coolrich55

Are you sure cw4 isn't a three site simulcast currently? On my old PRO 42 it's coming in a bit distorted similar to how other simulcast systems sound. Previously on the normal sod channel it was crystal clear. My BC125AT sounds fine though.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure cw4 isn't a three site simulcast currently? On my old PRO 42 it's coming in a bit distorted similar to how other simulcast systems sound. Previously on the normal sod channel it was crystal clear. My BC125AT sounds fine though.

At least as of a couple months ago (which is the most recent authoritative info I have), the digital and analog versions of CW4 (as well as IAB, Det2, CMD and OCCB2) are completely separate systems. The digital systems (currently disabled on CW4 so SOD can use the analog system) are 3-site simulcast. The analog systems have two tx sites each (a primary and a backup), but only one analog transmitter can be in use at any given moment.

Note that the CW4 primary and secondary analog sites are not the same as the SOD sites, which could explain the difference in your reception.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound

Yes SOD on 470.8375 came in with a "wet noodle" even as far away as I am from the city. CW4 is a bit of as struggle comparatively. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.