• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Some G5 Questions

hill

Premium Subscriber
I have a few questions after purchasing a used G5 at a local hamfest for a great deal last weekend that is in great shape and think it was a demo talking with the guy.

I am not new to Unication pagers with have owned a G4 for over 2 years, but need the extra band with VHF used in the areas I am in for work.

The pager was programmed with a bunch of stuff. Some of the systems in it I will most likely also have in it, but like a totally different way of programming the pager.

Is there a way to wipe the pager to get rid of all programming to restore all to blank slate, so I can program the unit without any stuff already in it.

Also i don't think there is anyway program the G5 with a file from my G4 with them having different model numbers.

It will be some time before I get back to this programming task, since currently away overnight for work and tomorrow evening is our Ham Radio Club meeting.

Many thanks all and I await your replies!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Factory reset will wipe the pager, and the PPS allows you to convert a codeplug from one model to another (Version 4, Tab E, Version 3 Tab C-C2). However, if it is a V3 codeplug it will not populate into the Customer Public Resource tab of V4.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
"Also i don't think there is anyway program the G5 with a file from my G4 with them having different model numbers."

I have several G4 & G5s. I do all of my programming updates in the G5 profile, then I convert that profile to the G4 models as needed. Anyplace where I have VHF frequencies, the PPS software will default the frequencies to 763 Mhz. It saves a lot of work trying to maintain multiple profiles.

1696379330536.png

hill

Premium Subscriber
Many thanks all for a quick reply.

Radio Reference is a great community.

All this information makes me wish was at home with the devices, but the programming laptop is just too much extra stuff to carry in delivery truck for one overnight, since I already have too much gear with ham HTs and older RS scanner to monitor the old Smartzone system in the Richmond area. Will be nice when this region gets their P25 built out, so can use the pager on it.