Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdmonitor

Guys,

This was posted on another list

From AW&ST:

The U.S. Air Force has launched a new acquisition program to replace four Boeing E-4B aircraft with the Survivable Airborne Operations Center (SAOC) weapon system.

An industry day will be held at Hanscom AFB, Massachusetts, in February to brief industry on details of the acquisition strategy for the SAOC program, the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center’s Battle Management office says in a Dec. 4 notice.

The only detail released so far about the SAOC is that it should be a derivative of a commercial aircraft, according to the notice. Likewise, the E-4B is derived from the Boeing 747-200.

First delivered to the Air Force in 1974 as the E-4A, the fleet allows the president and the Joint Chiefs to respond to a nuclear attack even if a pre-emptive first strike has destroyed the military’s underground command centers.

The Air Force has been studying replacement options for the E-4B fleet for more than a year. In August 2018, the Air Force sought industry feedback on a concept to replace three fleets of commercial derivative aircraft, including the E-4B, with a common airframe.

It is not clear if the SAOC has been carved out of the common aircraft replacement strategy called the “NEAT” concept. The NEAT acronym was formed by selectively choosing the mission names of the three aircraft that would be replaced: the E-4B National Airborne Operations Center (NAOC), the 757-derived C-32B Executive Airlift fleet and the U.S. Navy’s 767-derived E-6B Take Charge and Move Out (TACAMO) aircraft. The latter also absorbed the mission of the Air Force’s EC-135 Looking Glass airborne command post upon its retirement in 1998.

The E-4B fleet accommodates a crew of up to 112 and a mission payload with communications, networks and command-and-control subsystems.

The Air Force’s chosen acronym for the NAOC fleet’s replacement exchanges “National” for “Survivable,” and it is not clear what that means. The Air Force’s fact sheet for the E-4B describes the aging platform as “survivable,” with electrical systems hardened against the electromagnetic pulse generated by a nuclear explosion. In recent years, the Air Force and Navy have invested significantly in a wide range of new active and passive countermeasures against missile attack, including launching tiny interceptors for a hard-kill defense against incoming projectiles.

Tech792

Premium Subscriber
12/05/19 @ 1033 local- Getting some interplane on 259.9 ........maybe some 104th F-15's passing through. Talking to ZBW now 317.7
Also looks like a KC-135R setting up off the NJ coast.
Just heard destination "BAF" (Barnes). They must have been going south to north.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know that USNTPS was using Panchito out of Georgetown Del for
test pilot skills. :)

FIREBOX2914

Premium Subscriber
Guys

Found the following online (thank you Google)

NOTE: Couldn't find anything for NYI & HMC

US Customs Air assets operating locations

GTF--Great Falls International Airport Great Falls, Montana, USA

FHU--Sierra Vista Municipal Airport-Libby Army Airfield Fort Huachuca / Sierra Vista, AZ

DMA--Davis Monthan Air Force Base Tucson, AZ

DPA--DuPage Airport Chicago/West Chicago, IL

BLI--Bellingham International Airport Bellingham, WA,

NYI--

RDR--Grand Forks Air Force Base Grand Forks, ND,

MFE-- Mc Allen Miller International Airport Mc Allen, TX,

SFF--Felts Field Airport Spokane, WA,

RIV--March Air Reserve Base Riverside, CA ,

NZY--North Island Naval Air Station (Halsey Field) San Diego, CA,

BQN-- Rafael Hernández Airport
, Aquadilla PR.

HMC--

VQQ--Cecil Airport Jacksonville

E38-- Alpine-Casparis Municipal Airport, Alpine TX

HEF--Manassas Regional Airport/Harry P. Davis Field Washington, DC,

HDC--Hammond Northshore Regional Airport Hammond, LA,

DMN--Deming Municipal Airport Deming, NM ,

HUL--Houlton International Airport Houlton, ME,

ISP--Long Island Mac Arthur Airport New York, NY

MCC--Mc Clellan Airfield Sacramento, CA,

HST--Homestead Air Reserve Base Homestead, FL

OKC--Will Rogers World Airport Oklahoma City, OK,

MTC--Selfridge Air National Guard Base Mount Clemens, MI,

IAG--Niagara Falls International Airport Niagara Falls, NY,

PBG--Plattsburgh International Airport Plattsburgh, NY,

SAT--San Antonio International Airport San Antonio, TX,

ELP--El Paso International Airport El Paso, TX,

LRD--Laredo International Airport (Laredo, TX,

DRT--Del Rio International Airport. Del Rio TX

NGP--Corpus Christi Naval Air Station/Truax Field Corpus Christi, TX,

ABQ--Albuquerque International Sunport Airport Albuquerque, NM,

CXO--Conroe-North Houston Regional Airport Houston, TX,

SJT-San Angelo Regional Airport/Mathis Field San Angelo, TX

NIP--Jacksonville Naval Air Station (Towers Field) Jacksonville, FL,

Also found some Customs Air units that might be interesting.

Buffalo Air & Marine Branch Niagara Falls IAP,NY EC-120B, AS-350B, Cessna 206H

Plattsburgh Air Branch Plattsburgh IAP, NY 1x PC-12, 1x Cessna 210, 2x Cessna 550, 2x AS-350B

New York Air Unit Ronkonkoma/MacArthur AP, NY AS-350B
NYI is actually NYL - MCAS Yuma. Big Helo Base there!

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Last night around 12:30am/0530z had AE6843 on mode s at FL310 for a few minutes
then on freq search heard TALON 98 on 123.875 prob Boston Ctr Utica 09 sector.
Five hours later logged again back down South towards Hampton Va.
I think another spoof mode P-8A test flight. AE6843 was logged back in November as TALON 12
near Alabama.. Maybe working out of Jacksonville? Those P-8A's sure have much more range than your average B738.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

freqhopping

Rch 0771 C-130J 10-0771 19AW back Dover again from Pensacola for 2nd trip since last night
with another HR aboard 1700 local on CP 349.400.

I noticed that one midday when it had departed Dover and knew that had to have been from Pensacola since C-130 into Dover aren't that common. Then I found it had come in as RCH2028 I believe. I see it's outbound again.

Probably dropping off the Saudi with the last flight. :mad:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that one midday when it had departed Dover and knew that had to have been from Pensacola since C-130 into Dover aren't that common. Then I found it had come in as RCH2028 I believe. I see it's outbound again.

Yeah I think you are correct as his remains don't belong on the dignified transfer flight last night..
See who picks him up someday.. Funny if Dod holds for a long time but guess they won't play that game.
If this ex-guest pilot trainee gets a hero welcome back home then things may get ugly.
Your right in that 19AW C-130J did quick drop and go at Dover tonight.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber

Dropping the shooter's corpse into the ocean is more dignified than he deserves, and certainly not worth the effort being expended.

Status
Not open for further replies.