Sumter County...two separate systems? Moto for fire, Harris for LEO

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I was in Sumter County today, Memorial Day observance at Bushnell National Cemetery. Of course I was paying attention to what radios/systems are in use,
and by whom. And asked a few questions.

The Deputies were carrying Harris Xl-185 portables.

The fire/rescue personnel were carrying Motorola APX radios.

They claim they have their own separate systems and don't even have easy interoperability between police/sheriff and fire/rescue.

The database only states that Sumter has a P25 Phase 1 system, and a short list of talkgroups both fire/rescue and sheriff.

So what's the real deal here? It seems unlikely that they'd have two separate P25 systems, one for Sheriff and the other for Fire/Rescue.

RFI-EMI-GUY

They could be on same system with mixed vendor P25 radios. It took only 25 years to get to that point with P25 standards/

CommsTruck

Sumter had APX model 1.5's for deputies but has recently switched to APX Next.

They have 1 system but are treated like 2. fire has no LE in the radios and vice versa

trooper890

I was in Sumter County today, Memorial Day observance at Bushnell National Cemetery. Of course I was paying attention to what radios/systems are in use,
and by whom. And asked a few questions.

The Deputies were carrying Harris Xl-185 portables.

The fire/rescue personnel were carrying Motorola APX radios.

They claim they have their own separate systems and don't even have easy interoperability between police/sheriff and fire/rescue.

The database only states that Sumter has a P25 Phase 1 system, and a short list of talkgroups both fire/rescue and sheriff.

So what's the real deal here? It seems unlikely that they'd have two separate P25 systems, one for Sheriff and the other for Fire/Rescue.

The system is phase II now, and there aren’t two systems. Users tend to create their own reality.

Sumter SO utilizes APX series like fire does.

trooper890

Keep in mind that particular location is real close to other jurisdictions, and there are a lot of SLERS partner agencies…

junior71

Correct me if I’m wrong APX radios will work on a Harris system and XL’s will work on a Motorola system 😉

Gilly1980

I'm willing to bet that the Harris radios belonged to the National Cemetery (I did not see the Cemetery's frequencies listed in the Sumter County database). SCSO are all issued APX Next radios and do not use anything else.

As to the comment about fire radios not having LE channels and vice versa, I can tell you that the Sheriff's Office radios have all the FD channels programmed and can communicate on them.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
A lot of places will not put law channels in non law radios.

zlandmedia

not that florida man