• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SWR drastically lower when mount wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
A truck bed is plenty large enough for a ground plane at 27MHz allowing the antenna to achieve a good match. My last truck was a Tundra with 6 1/2ft bed and I had an 80-10m HF screwdriver mounted about a foot behind the cab and down low on the inner bed wall. The cab was not a problem at all and being on the inside bed wall gave me all four vertical surfaces of the bed wall and the bed itself as a ground plane.

One important test for an HF antenna on the lower bands like 40 and 80m is the feed point impedance. A large screwdriver antenna or any antenna using lots of coil for loading runs in the 12-15 ohm range on 40m and lower on 80m like 10-12 ohms IF it has an adequate ground plane. My screwdriver antenna came in right on target mounted to the bed wall behind the cab and if you were to move it to say the trailer hitch or some other spot with poor ground plane the impedance would be up in the 40-50 ohm range on 40 and 80m meaning huge resistive loss. On 10m and CB the big loading coil is bypassed on the screwdriver and it acts just like a 9ft whip with 10m and CB working really well with that setup giving an easy 50 ohm match.

I just finished an install on a new truck with a very small bed, a Jeep Gladiator and the bed is only about 5 1/2 ft long and narrower than my Tundra. I mounted a fixture about 2/3 of the way back from the cab and high on the inner bed wall as a universal antenna mount for everything and testing it with various CB antennas from 4ft to 9ft worked great. All the whips matched perfect and had very wide band width plus the screwdriver antenna came in on target again with really low impedance on 40 and 80m meaning the ground plane is way more than adequate and I did this just in the last week. This is with a bed that seems to be floating from everything and I did not ground or bond the bed to anything because it works great as is.

Since RF currents flowing on the sheet metal around the antenna are going to be on the same side of the sheet metal as the antenna, grounding the underneath of the bed to something like the frame or battery will accomplish nothing, unless your trying to improve the DC ground back to the battery for some lighting project. RF will not have a clue that ground is there, its only concerned with the sheet metal that's immediately around the antenna on the same side as the antenna.

So before you condemn the stake pocket mount run a few tests to see what the problem actually is before shotgunning a bunch of stuff that will probably not fix anything. First try bending the whip away from the cab with some insulated string while watching the SWR meter to rule out the cab proximity to the whip. I suspect there will be little or no change. Do you have the braid of the coax grounded to the sheet metal right at the feed point? Some Firestick cable assys have a floating ground for their no ground plane antenna and those coax assys are trouble on all but a few installs. Try attaching 9ft of wire to the ground side of the mount and stretch it across the bed as a ground radial. If the antenna matches up fine then there probably is insufficient ground plane. If so is the top of the bed rail where the stake pocket is located bonded to the inner walls and bed?

My last two installs were to the upper inside bed wall and I have not recently done an install on the very top of the bed rail, so that's an unknown for me right now. But I do know if you put a mount on the inner bed wall an inch below the top of the bed rail and a good foot back from the cab it will match fine and work well. I've mounted dozens and dozens of them there over the years without any problems for people running everything from 2ft to 9ft whips.

Your bed is probably isolated from your frame by rubber mounts and not directly bolted. Run a ground strap from the bed to the frame from underneath the truck. Clean the paint to shiny metal for a good connection. repaint the connection after the strap is installed.

samthetramp

Y'all obviously know way more than me about this. I was responding to the OP's comment of not having continuity between the bed and battery negative. Perhaps I should have said as much.

slowmover

RF Bonds cut noise. Horizontal surfaces, first. Major body structure, second. Exhaust system a close third.

Rain changes everyone’s reception to a degree.

Mobile Install

Read here on Bonding (and all other subjects pertinent).

138BG

Firesticks were notoriously hard to tune and once cut too short, game over.

I believe the OP stated he had a tunable tip Firestik. I didn't find the trim-the-wire Firestiks all that difficult to tune myself, just takes a bit longer.

As others have stated it would be wise to electrically bond the bed to the cab. It would also be prudent to make certain that as much as possible of the antenna mount has contact with bare sheet metal, not sitting on a painted surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.