Tecsun PL880 --------different type of question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I have had the PL880 for 3 plus years, one of the best portables I have ever used. For the money, I don't think there is a better portable. Now I have kind of an oddball question, I know the 880 has several hidden feature/menu's , this has to do with Longwave. While messing around with the radio today, I had LW enabled went down to 101.70, THEN fine tuned into the 100.xx range , and then went to the tuning knob and somehow put the radio into 99.xx khz-------this is below the listed range. I actually did this several times just to verify it. It has to be done the way I described it (I did this all by mistake, just tuning around).

Ok now for anyone who is actually still with me , Tecsun makes the s8800 radio also, I suspect it may use many of the same internals as the pl-880. For those that don't know there is a special edition called the s8800e, it has some mod done to it, to allow the LW to go all the way down to 20khz. As far as I know I have only seen it advertised in Europe. Now how that "mod" is done I have no idea. So I guess my question is has anyone ever managed to extend the LW range of the pl880?

I did try a few combinations on the 880 such as saving the new freq. 99.xx khz. into a memory, I wasn't successful. But there are a few more things I would like to try. Is it possible there might be a test mode or something that would allow testing in that range? Maybe for calibrating with time signals down there? For anyone that took the time to read this, thank you. I know it's a strange question ,and I know the pl880 isn't the best LW receiver , but it's what I have. And mod's if this is better suited to the LW forum , I apologize , I wasn't quite sure where to put it. Thanks , any input welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.