• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The beauty of the CentraCom II Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The CentraCom-II dispatch console was sold by Motorola in the 1970’s thru the 1990’s and was intended for 9-1-1 centers and other dispatch operations. The classic version of the CentraCom, called “Buttons and LEDs” (“B&L”) had a distinctive white and black aesthetic with red LED indication lights. Most systems were equipped with a backroom rack called a CEB (Central Equipment Bank) that interfaces with the radios, phone systems etc., all connected via large 100-pair cables and punch downs.

These consoles were a great example of industrial design and were pretty much the standard to be followed for dispatch centers in the era before computers took over. With white enamel counter-tops, white trim and buttons and black panels, it offered an attractive and durable appearance. It was the top-selling console system of its type then, competing with offerings from ModuCom, OrbaCom, General Electric and others. Motorola and GE built their own furniture then while smaller vendors supplied third-party products, often that emulated the CentraCom look and arrangement.

Mechanically the furniture was a steel frame cabinet with removable doors on the front, rear and sides as well as removable top panels. It was all modular with various configurations that allowed one to select from an endless variety of configurations, from a single bay to a dozen seats with several bays per seat. Each section had open frames to allow wires to pass thru, only the exterior sections would have doors or panel covers.

The base (below the desktop) furniture included rails for power and control equipment to be mounted and the operations bays (above the desktop facing front) also had rails for console panels and other equipment. Trim pieces covered the exterior edges to hide the machine screws for a professional appearance.

The control bays had angled lower bay and vertical upper bay sections of various sizes. Short (4u) angled or vertical bays allowed monitors to be placed on top of them while larger sections held the control panels or allowed larger equipment installations. A common configuration consisted of a central bay with a short arrangement for a computer monitor and taller bays to the left and right. Larger arrangements included angled corner pieces to provide wrap-around or angled desktops and rack panels. Often these corner pieces had the microphone arms mounted on them to make use of otherwise wasted space.

Since most dispatch centers, even then, had computer monitors and other equipment to consider the bays used 19-inch rack sizing with different height options to allow use of industry-standard equipment including alarm panels, phone options and other radio equipment. It is this that makes these widely sought after today for scanner and ham radio enthusiasts.

The console system included white enamel covered desktops sized to fit the provided furniture. These were designed to hold up to 24/7 use and the inevitable coffee stains cleaned up nicely with a quick shot of glass cleaner and a paper towel.

The aesthetics, durability and mechanics of the CentraCom furniture make it ideal to house ham radios, scanners and the various accessories and computers in a modern ham shack. Since almost anything can be mounted to a standard 19-inch rack these days, the sloped main panel and vertical accessory panels are great for mounting gear.

The control system itself is pretty limited in usefulness as it is all a hard-wire connection. It is the furniture that is the real prize. Some enterprising souls have been able to use some of the controls by re-wiring them. The speakers and mics are often reusable in modern shacks as well. Several companies, such as NovexComm, make rack mounting gear for modern radios.

Some 20 years ago a friend who was managing a 9-1-1 center was replacing his old CentraCom II B&L system with a new computerized system and asked if I wanted their CentraCom. He had 2 seats, each with 6 sections, 2 corners and a variety of low and high bay sections as well as the CEB and associated equipment, pretty much everything but the radios, and I probably could have had those too if I really wanted.

At the time however I lived in a fairly small townhouse and did not have the room to store or install it. I did take 2 small sections and used it to hold some of my radios for several years. If he asked me today I would be there before he could hang up the phone with a rented truck and taken the whole system.

My current shack consists of a full-sized network cabinet with various scanners and ham radios rack-mounted in it. This same gear would move into a CentraCom console perfectly if I had one. The one my friend offered me years ago would have been ideal now that I have the room to appreciate it. The ideal setup for a home ham or scanner shack would be a 5-bay corner system with 3 short stacks surround by a pair of tall stacks. This would allow a couple computer monitors to be front and center and give plenty of room to rack-mount gear. The wiring would all be contained and hidden. With plenty of speakers to connect to various radios and the bulletproof Motorola power supply it would all be pretty much self-contained save for the antennas.

Do a Google search for CentraCom II and enjoy the many photos of these console systems. You will have to appreciate the aesthetics of the furniture. While I was never a big fan of the sometimes complicated operation of the systems, the furniture was a thing of beauty. If you are a ham or scanner guy with compatible radios and have the chance at acquiring one of these you will be a happy guy.

june2.jpg
The one CentraCom bay I had room for held an R7000 as well as other radios "back in the day"... Since I did not have the desktop I filled the space with a piece of a yardstick that was later painted to match.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I wish I had some of those and enough room to set them up!

I used to work in Final Test at Schaumburg, the girls, (yes young girls assembled these. Is it PC to say this?) would roll them out to me and I would test them for faults.

I learned quite a bit about troubleshooting and how big systems were set up. We would get quite busy at end of the quarter and work overtime, once during a summer break and all the building AC was turned off. I went and got dried ice to put under my chair to cool me off.

RFI-EMI-GUY

/\/\ CentraComm school.........
Yeah. One weekend I received an SP console. One that was supposed to send some oddball keying tones. The tones didn't go out. The engineer was gone so I figured out he had ommitted some triggering line. So I marked up the drawing, added some jumpers. On Monday I went to see him and he was being a bit of a joker saying he "never made mistakes". So I pulled open his pencil drawer and grabbed a handful. None of them had any erasers left.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Do a Google search for CentraCom II and enjoy the many photos of these console systems. You will have to appreciate the aesthetics of the furniture. While I was never a big fan of the sometimes complicated operation of the systems, the furniture was a thing of beauty. If you are a ham or scanner guy with compatible radios and have the chance at acquiring one of these you will be a happy guy.

The agency I spent the first 20 years of my career at had Centracom Series I consoles which dated from the mid-70s. The Centracom I was self-contained (no CEB in the back). Each rack panel (about 10" deep) contained various channel cards, each of which contained all the stuff for interface (either DC- or tone-remote) to the associated radio built on it; each rack was in turn wired to a panel of terminal strips under the console. Those were then wired to a 50-pair telco cable which ran to punchdown blocks in the back room where the radios were mounted, or where they interfaced to telephone lines running to the repeaters. The punchdown blocks and radios could be located anywhere, even next to the console. Each rack panel could be reconfigured by moving cards around and changing jumpers around on the backplane.

In some ways I think the Series I was superior to the Series II. The whole thing could be set up in one place, with the radios mounted in the empty space under the consoles, instead of requiring a separate CEB rack in the back room. I also think it was more rugged than the Series II; the buttons would stand up to a lot of abuse, which I couldn't say for the Centracom II consoles I worked with at a couple of other departments.

We replaced our Centracom I with Zetron 4000-series stuff in the early 90s. I salvaged the monitor racks and a power supply to run them. Each rack had two 2-receiver cards on the right side, and three speakers to the left; each receiver card had two individual volume controls (which when pressed in acted as a mute control), two yellow LEDs to indicate mute, and two red "call" LEDs which flashed when audio was going through. Each speaker also had a "master" volume control.

Each rack gave me the ability to monitor five receivers (one into a single speaker and two each through the RX cards into the other two speakers.

Got rid of it when I bought a house without a basement and had to cull the herd somewhat. Today I have a Zetron Model 27 receiver monitor (eight receivers into two speakers) and it works fine, but just isn't the same. Wish I had that Centracom I stuff back, it was top-notch.

The lower left side of the console in this shot from Wikipedia shows similar receiver cards.

Motorola_Centracom_Series_-_Austin_Fire_Museum_-_Austin,_Texas_-_DSC09346.jpg

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

N9JIG, did I see a video by you monitoring the FDOT 47 MHz system in AZ? I cant fiind the video again. Is that typical propagation of that system? Thanks

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Imagine having a dispatch center with six consoles in one building, the CEB in another building a half mile away and then the radios (trunking system) about 10 miles away at the tower. Talk about a nightmare to maintain. When we finally switched over to our new system in 2014, it was a blessing. We had Centracom CRT consoles which were a pain if they ever lost a drive. That old 10 channel Type II OBT system was a dinosaur for sure, but when it was working, it did a very good job. I just hated troubleshooting the CEB and system cards.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I thought I had it bad with the equipment room in the basement and the 9-1-1 center upstairs!

My original plan was to relocate the equipment room on the back wall of the 9-1-1 center (small 2-seat center for a small town) which would have simplified things immensely but then at the last minute the architect put the kibosh on that and I was stuck dealing with the basement again. I was able however to get them to core out a few 4-inch holes under the consoles for cabling. I still got a ton of exercise going up and down the stairs and we burned up our tac channels on the HT's getting stuff working.

When we got the new ModuCom system it was just a couple network cables from the rack to the workstations and audio pods. We used 4 Cat-6 cables for each console (Audio pod and workstation with redundant cables for each) as well as independant network cables for each of the CAD and internal work stations, alarm system, voice recording system and camera system. There were something like 40 Cat 6 cables, in 2 different holes and that cleaned up a metric ton of wires. Surprisingly, after terminating all these cables only 1 did not work and had to be redone.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
What i liked about CC II's is that most (not all) of the ones I used to work on, the positions were not against a wall. You could get into them from the front or the back and work mostly standing up. You could do a lot without kicking someone off their position

Now I deal with cramped computer cabinets, mediocre cable management, crawling around on my hands and knees or completely climbing up on this new fangled furniture to get behind the monitors to do what I need to do.

sdu219

Premium Subscriber
I have 13 pieces and two dispatch positions. All the backroom stuff was scrapped before I got hold of what I have. I sure would love to get some of it working again in my new shack but I have no idea where to locate or know what I need. even if its to get audio and lights to work.

N9JIG

Sheriff
What i liked about CC II's is that most (not all) of the ones I used to work on, the positions were not against a wall. You could get into them from the front or the back and work mostly standing up. You could do a lot without kicking someone off their position

Now I deal with cramped computer cabinets, mediocre cable management, crawling around on my hands and knees or completely climbing up on this new fangled furniture to get behind the monitors to do what I need to do.
Yeah, we learned that from the first build. When we had to do a new floor in there a couple years later we had to disassemble the entire center and reassemble it on the new raised floor (which I had requested in the first place but was denied for budgetary reasons) we backed off the consoles from the walls to provide rear access. Thankfully I had saved the rear panels we had never installed the first go-around. I will post that story an a while, it is amusing.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Our dispatchers keep the lights turned down so low that you can't see anything and they complain when you have to turn on the lights.

RocketNJ

RFGUY, not sure when you left Mother M but do you remember "the orange knobs"?

After I left Moto I worked for a 9-1-1 center that had 8 CEBs in three different locations with an Ambassador switch at a fourth location. All connected via T1 X-Bus. Some copper wired, some microwave, and others via fiber. Glad to see that system retired this year.

RFI-EMI-GUY

RFGUY, not sure when you left Mother M but do you remember "the orange knobs"?

After I left Moto I worked for a 9-1-1 center that had 8 CEBs in three different locations with an Ambassador switch at a fourth location. All connected via T1 X-Bus. Some copper wired, some microwave, and others via fiber. Glad to see that system retired this year.
I would be guessing about Orange Knobs?? EMS matrix switch?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Our dispatchers keep the lights turned down so low that you can't see anything and they complain when you have to turn on the lights.

Seems to be burned into the DNA of dispatchers. My guys did the same and even bought halogen task lights so they could leave the overheads off.

Later I bought a set of "Daylight" floods for the ceiling fixtures to replace the Cool Whites, they loved them and left them on all the time. Something about white lights I guess...

RocketNJ

I would be guessing about Orange Knobs?? EMS matrix switch?

Orange volume knobs. NYPD. Every CCII+ position has orange volume knobs. Someone's idea so tech support can tell the dispatcher to "turn the orange knob" or something like that. 72 positions at PSAC 1 then built and shipped PSCA 2 consoles which sat in mothballs for years until finally installed, long after I left Moto.

Were you still at Moto when they created CCSI? When NYPD system staged one of the engineers calculated the amount of 25 pair cable used at each hub site and end to end would make it to Lake Michigan and back! Temp cable trays could barely hold the load.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Seems to be burned into the DNA of dispatchers. My guys did the same and even bought halogen task lights so they could leave the overheads off.

Yep. 22 years as a dispatcher, and the only time at Perry Twp we turned on the overhead lights was Monday (Trustee meeting night. . . TV had to be off too), or if we were doing some work in the file area at the back of the room.

Same for every other agency I worked at; only time the overhead lights were on or not dimmed was when some sort of pogue (or REMF if you prefer) was visiting in search of ways to make our lives miserable, physically or administratively, or preferably both.

N9JIG

Sheriff
After I got promoted I would often work a double-shift in the Comm Center on Christmas and Thanksgiving to give my people a day off. One such holiday the dimmer switch had failed. I didn't have a spare so I bypassed the switch which left the lights up full brightness. This would stay like that until Monday morning when the electrician could come in an replace the dimmer, as I told Ted who replaced me that night.

I was then off the rest of the weekend and when I returned the lights had all been removed from the fixtures and set neatly on my desk with a note that decorum prevents me from repeating.

Never underestimate the power of a vampire.

Status
Not open for further replies.