• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The Cobra 148GTL was the best CB ever made, but that was 43 years ago! Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
SSB triples your channel usage.

But it doesn't triple the number people out there waiting for your signal. I know there are a lot of SSB radios out there but I believe they're still in the minority. That said, I'd still get the SSB.

Blackswan73

Hands down , the best CB of the past was a friend's complete CPI 2000 base station, back in the 80's, nothing else even came close.

The Cobra 2000, was just a 148 and a power supply in a fancy base cabinet. Also same radio as the President Washington, and the Robyn 520D

dave524

I don't know about how well they work, seeing as I have never heard one on the air, but they sure look cool to me.

He had the complete station, the CPI 2000 base, the matching external frequency counter, the matching Range Plus receive preamp and Talk Power speech processor, it was built with better components than some ham gear of that era. I drooled over it and then I was running an old silver President Jackson export radio which was also a decent old radio in the 80's.

prc117f

Plugged in my Uniden Pro 520xl and nothing but static on 40 channels. This using a spring mount d 102 whip. So looking for CBs to buy might be a moot point unless its for using it for communicating amongst family etc.. now you have all channels to yourself.

SnowWalker

Plugged in my Uniden Pro 520xl and nothing but static on 40 channels. This using a spring mount d 102 whip. So looking for CBs to buy might be a moot point unless its for using it for communicating amongst family etc.. now you have all channels to yourself.

Were you getting nothing but static even though you squelch was maxed out?

prc117f

Were you getting nothing but static even though you squelch was maxed out?

no with squelch off :)

Actually I am getting lots of local stuff in the afternoon. and nights, I was surprised.

Unfortunately my "Base" antenna is a Sirio performer 5000 magnet mount hitched on the aluminum roof.

but got plenty of contacts, chats etc.. looks like people still are pretty active locally. was told that truckers using ch 10 for loads, and 3 other channels for other use.

Borrowed an Icom IC-7200 export CB radio and got plenty of contacts and good reports using the stock mike. The quality of this radio is huge compared to the other stuff out there.

Borrowed an Icom IC-7200 export CB radio and got plenty of contacts and good reports using the stock mike. The quality of this radio is huge compared to the other stuff out there.

This is an amateur radio transceiver, not an "export CB radio" !!!
this is why cb's don't even compare even though the IC-7200 is an entry level transceiver.

RFI-EMI-GUY

And shortly there after voided the acceptance certificates of all the 23 channel radios making them illegal to use.

Actually they remained legal to use. It was the importation and sale of 23 Channel radios that was banned. You can use a 23 channel radio to this day.

jhooten

Actually they remained legal to use. It was the importation and sale of 23 Channel radios that was banned. You can use a 23 channel radio to this day.

I beg to differ. I have ran the numbers of all the 23 channel radios I have in the shed. None of them show as valid in the FCC database. Without a valid number in the database and the requirement to only use approved equipment how are they legal to use?

RFI-EMI-GUY

I beg to differ. I have ran the numbers of all the 23 channel radios I have in the shed. None of them show as valid in the FCC database. Without a valid number in the database and the requirement to only use approved equipment how are they legal to use?

Read page 8 of this old magazine, top right column.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com...-Electronics-Communications-Handbook-1977.pdf

For the most part FCC certification rules are intended to control importation and marketing. Grandfathering the further use of previously certified equipment is common.

"§ 95.335 Operation of non-certified
transmitters prohibited.
Except as provided in paragraph (a) of
this section, no person shall operate a
transmitter in any Personal Radio
Service unless it is a certified
transmitter; that is, a transmitter of a
type which has obtained a grant of
equipment certification for that service,
pursuant to part 2, subpart J of this
chapter. Use of a transmitter that is not
FCC-certified voids the user’s authority
to operate that station. See sections
302(a), (b), and (e) of the
Communications Act (47 U.S.C. 302(a),
(b), and (e)).(snip)"

Nothing in the rule stipulates when the radio received certification. If it has a certification label attached, you are fine. If you have a car built in 1947 and it still runs and the safety equipment required in 1947 still functions, it is street legal.

"§ 2.927 Limitations on grants.

(a) A grant of certification is valid only when the device is labeled in accordance with § 2.925 and remains effective until set aside, revoked or withdrawn, rescinded, surrendered, or a termination date is otherwise established by the Commission.

(b) A grant of certification recognizes the determination that the equipment has been shown to be capable of compliance with the applicable technical standards if no unauthorized change is made in the equipment and if the equipment is properly maintained and operated. The issuance of a grant of equipment certification shall not be construed as a finding with respect to matters not encompassed by the Commission's rules, especially with respect to compliance with 18 U.S.C. 2512.

(c) No person shall, in any advertising matter, brochure, etc., use or make reference to an equipment authorization in a deceptive or misleading manner or convey the impression that such certification reflects more than a Commission-authorized determination that the device or product has been shown to be capable of compliance with the applicable technical standards of the Commission's rules.
[ 80 FR 33441, June 12, 2015, as amended at 82 FR 50826, Nov. 2, 2017]"

By the way, the CB license I held back in the late 60's 70's is nowhere to be found on FCC database. Some stuff just ceases to be of record.

Last edited:

dorslv

Cobra 2000 GTL

well, i'm glad I did not sell my Cobra 2000 GTL and Astatic D-104 Silver Eagle then.

EMTJD

SSB triples your channel usage.

No, not really. That was marketing hype that a lot of folks bought into. There were only 23 channels, and later 40. I'm sure most of you know, but the lower or upper sideband is only that part of the single channel. It is NOT two additional channels.

You still have a 4 watt transmitter, but you're taking the power that is spread across the carrier and both sidebands and using it on just the one sideband. Therefore, 12 watts, effective power.

Status
Not open for further replies.