The O'Hare Outer Marker Beacons Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I am a bit confused by the way your using navaid. Navaid is short for Radio Navigation Aid, so an NDB is already a navaid along with VOR's and ILS ect.

Oops, I meant waypoint.

This is what sparked my thoughts. Flight management system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Kalman filters are used in AOR radio's I think lol

The same idea is used for EGPWS (enhanced ground proximity warning system) The radar altimeter only looks straight down, which does you know good if there is a big mountain in front of you (ie. american airlines 757 in Cali, Columbia) Therefore, the FMS has the elevation of earths terrain loaded into its database, and via position input from the INS will display the locations and elevations of the surrounding terrain on the Nav Display screen and activate the "TERRAIN TERRAIN" -- "WHOOP WHOOP PULL UP" when necessary. Its all done internally from a database....

Yes, I know about this accident. I do have a understanding of how that works from my use of it in simulation if you can believe it. I noticed the delay flying very low to mountains and having a nice little peak straight ahead. But that was the older GPWS gauge that was installed. Nothing close to the real thing, but I did pick up on its capabilities quite quick :lol:

Hey, thanks for answering my questions and allowing me to pick your brain. :D

Last edited:

immelmen

This is what sparked my thoughts. Flight management system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Kalman filters are used in AOR radio's I think lol

You have to take Wiki with a grain of salt sometimes. That is the most general, broad and simplistic description of FMS I have ever seen. It is also written in a manner that can confuse the details of the different tier systems.

In the industry, the term FMS infers the top tier Honeywell systems found on mainline fleets. While GA technology has become quite capable and can fit under a broad definition of FMS, comparing it to the air carrier stuff is kind of silly.

check out the Honeywell FMS page and see why one little black box cost more then a Lear 35.

Flight Management Systems - Avionics & Electronics - Honeywell Aerospace

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.