Tier 3 Standard vs. Capacity Max in RRDB

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
I always do my best to submit accurate information, and when I receive a Capacity Max system that shows in RRDB as a Tier 3 Standard, I submit an update to have the RRDB updated to reflect that correction.

As I am traveling for a few days, I picked up one such system, and submitted the change so it could be updated (and I've got another one that has some other major edits to submit in the next few days). While the admin that worked the submission did make other changes (added neighbor lists), they responded back to the type change with the following:

Unfortunately there is a datavase issue that prevents Capacity Plus systems from downloading to / appearing in the Sentinel software used by many to program their Uniden radios, so we left the system type set to Standard (since it does not affect scanning the system) to work around this issue.
(Aside, I'm not going to Name and Shame the administrator that wrote the above in the public forum, PM me if you want that information)

Of course that meant the correction was not made, and the ticket closed.

That seems an unusual issue, and to me sounds more like a problem for the team at Uniden to figure out (much like the issue with NexEdge systems that use dynamic addressing), it also means that the recently added DMR System data downloads for DSDPlus are completely broken (thanks LB for that addition) and have to have significant edits before they're usable.

Can someone shed some light on this and if this is a RRDB issue, or was the administrator incorrect?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If the system is Capacity Max, then that's what should be reflected in the database.

Yes, there is a Uniden issue where Sentinel is ignoring perfectly valid Capacity Max flavor T3 systems (not Capacity Plus as mentioned in the note), but that's a Uniden problem, not a RadioReference problem. Instituting "workarounds" is against policy, the system needs to be listed for what it actually is, and Uniden needs to fix their bugs.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
If the system is Capacity Max, then that's what should be reflected in the database.

Yes, there is a Uniden issue where Sentinel is ignoring perfectly valid Capacity Max flavor T3 systems (not Capacity Plus as mentioned in the note), but that's a Uniden problem, not a RadioReference problem. Instituting "workarounds" is against policy, the system needs to be listed for what it actually is, and Uniden needs to fix their bugs.
That's what I expected the answer would be, so the follow up question would be, how do I submit the request so that it has a higher probability of being worked by another administrator, or at least being completed without pushback?

This one administrator seems to be the only one really maintaining that system (according to the history), despite the system having a presence across multiple states (but the two sites that are eventually going to be on it in Jersey from a Connect+ system doesn't appear to have happened yet, so it's not in your realm at this time, @GTR8000 ).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I would suggest giving the dbadmin who worked your ticket the opportunity to see this thread first. Clearly the intentions were well meaning and not malicious or neglectful, so as a fellow dbadmin, I would certainly appreciate being given the benefit of doubt and the time to make such a correction.

PS - You could reach out to the dbadmin privately or leave another note on the ticket politely pleading your case.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest giving the dbadmin who worked your ticket the opportunity to see this thread first. Clearly the intentions were well meaning and not malicious or neglectful, so as a fellow dbadmin, I would certainly appreciate being given the benefit of doubt and the time to make such a correction.

PS - You could reach out to the dbadmin privately or leave another note on the ticket politely pleading your case.
Thanks @GTR8000 I posted the link directly to your response in the ticket, just with the comment "Regarding changing this system to Capacity Max please see"

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

GTR is correct. The rules regarding this are pretty specific; systems are listed as what they actually are, not what works with a specific manufacturer's products. Were we to do otherwise, someone else's product then may stop functioning.

And now people will complain that they can't find it in Sentinel anymore. Can win 'em all! 😂

It's up to Uniden to fix their bugs; in the meantime, the only option is for users to load the system manually and set it for what works in their radio. I know this is an inconvenience, but make your concerns known to Uniden, long and loud; that's the only way they'll fix their problems.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Some other programs other than sentinel doesn't filter the type and sometimes u can download the system that way . Doesn't mean it will configure correctly but if its faster than manually entering it in. Then maybe another option..