trunking troop "c" from exit 13a trpk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
interesting.....i posted on earlier date that i couldnt reach troop "c" from exit 13a...i can monitor "b" thou. anyway...after traveling towards the south to shores with scanner of coarse i was able to listen and pickup the different id's.(trunk mode)of troop "c".
well now.....when im home (13a exit) returned from troop "c" area...i can pick them up from home(rooftop ant. attached) before i wasnt able to untill i actually monitored near them (south).

question is.....now that ive been within monitoring range and monitored troop "c".......why is it now that i return home which is a distance i couldnt hear them.....but now i can.?
DOES it make a difference if you actually travel closer...scanner picks up what i couldnt b4.....then when u travel further or away from the point i couldnt hear b4...we could monitor or pick up signal...only some id's i pick up. but now i can pick up some...like 3-4 id's.

what i would be interested in is how to BOOST my power to monitor further in trunk mode...to me seems like conventional receives signal from further away...cause i can pickup sandyhook highlands keansburg from newark..IN CONVENTIONAL THOU....

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
You don't say what it is that you're trying to monitor, but since your Avatar says you're in New Jersey, can we assume it's the New Jersey state police?

Anyway, trunked vs. conventional should make no difference on how far a radio signal will travel. Generally, 800 MHz systems will not travel as far as VHF high band, low band, or UHF 450-512 MHz.

I don't know what kind of system they have there, but maybe it's a Smart Zone system. This may have the effect (from your point of view) that you are receiving units from farther away than you really are. For example, here in South Florida I can hear FHP turnpike units near Orlando, which is about 200 miles from me. But does this mean that I'm getting really good reception? No, it just means that this is a Smart Zone system, and I'm hearing distant traffic repeated on a local tower.

It all depends on the design of the system you are trying to monitor, the intended coverage area, the antenna height, transmitter power, etc. You may be hearing distant units repeated on a tower nearby to you.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
when you say repeated...what exactly is that...is it repeated seconds after transmission or like its delayed by minutes...example...when i do hear the distance signal(trooper lets say)...is it happening that instant?

im still amateur at this but im slowly placeing everything together and understanding more and more...

yes..its nj troopers.....

D

DaveNF2G

You might try posting your NJ queries into the NJ forum. That is, after all, what the directions for this forum tell you to do:

"This is the place to post general items related to trunked radio. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below."

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
when you say repeated...what exactly is that...is it repeated seconds after transmission or like its delayed by minutes...example...when i do hear the distance signal(trooper lets say)...is it happening that instant?

Yes, repeated is in an instant, usually a fraction of a second. You wouldn't know if the source of the transmission is a mile from you, or 200 miles. Like I said in my example, sometimes I can hear Orlando units which are about 200 miles from me, sometimes I can't hear them. It just means that sometimes the link is turned on, sometimes it's off. Remember, you are not hearing the individual units, you are actually hearing the tower nearest to you, and whatever traffic that tower is repeating from the system.

But I know nothing of how the NJSP system is set up, so maybe someone else can answer specific questions about it.

robbinsj2

Trunking NJSP Trp C & a brief lesson in mobile relays

Aircargo:

The answer to your first question is probably atmospheric conditions or scanner/antenna physical setup or some other variable that is affecting your reception of the NJSP Troop C system from the Newark/Elizabeth area. Your prior travels into the heart of Troop C area would not aid you in currently receiving Troop C from a place you had difficulty before.

Sounds like you don't quite understand what a repeater is. I'll generalize: a repeater, vernacular for mobile relay, takes transmissions from handheld or mobile radio and retransmits them on another frequency almost instantaneously (W4KRR's note). The advantage is the mobile relay (a base station with a nice big antenna in a good spot, usually) is often more powerful and can effectively extend the range of otherwise somewhat limited mobiles/portables to other mobiles/portables.

The mobile radio listens on a different frequency than it transmits, so that it hears the repeater output but talks on the repeater input. There are some exceptions to this and the above paragraph, but this should serve as an intro.

All trunked systems are necessarily repeated systems (though I haven't yet found the exception that proves the rule). When you listen to NJSP turnpike units, or Newark PD units or REMCS units on F-1, you're not hearing that particular unit's radio but rather a rebroadcast of it by a repeater. That's how units on a linked, state-wide channel can talk by portable from High Point to Cape May -- the units aren't talking directly back and forth but rather through two local repeaters that are themselves linked by microwave or telephone line.

You might benefit by reading the introduction to scanning section of Radio Shack's Police Call. It does a good job of explaining communications system types, including repeaters and trunking.

Jim

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aircargo said:
NO...its a trunking question...your misdirecting me and my post. read the 1st post i wrote...topic is TRUNKING .

so give me some slack...take it easy, we r all here to inform and help each others....

..and as you can see, you are now getting the assistance that you needed by me posting this location specific thread to the NJ forum. The rest of the world has no clue where exit 13a on the tpk is, and who "troop c" is, and where the "south shores" are. The rest of the world doesn't live in New Jersey!

Let the admins do their jobs helping you, and cut us some slack!

Tsch6373

Troop C reception in the northern area of the Turnpike

I am experiencing the same difficulty receiving Troop C on the turnpike in the 13a area. I receive well on Route 9, onto the GSP and on to the turnpike at Interchange 11 but I begin to lose the trunking signal just north of 12. I also listen to NJTransit's trunking system and have no problems with that up to 495 in Secaucus. I let my 250d do its thing and I also have conventional freqs, such as Hazlet, Keyport, Keansburg etc just to see what I can receive and for how far. I have different banks with certain trunking systems along with conventional freqs for the different areas in which I travel, and this not being able to receive Troop C has been puzzleing. I had thought that I should be switching to the northern Troop B, but I'm told that I need to monitor C. Now I wonder where the repeater sites are in relation to the Turnpike.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
One other thing to consider when trying to monitor the NJSP along the highways....any cell towers nearby will totally kill your reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.