Truthfulness -- and trends in Ham Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Some individuals are just permanently cranky, and there isn't anything you can do to appease them. They live in their own little world where they are king and no one else will ever be up to their standards.

So so true. This is why one must not waste time with whining, negative folks and surround themselves with positive people who have similar interests. It is easy to get trapped in a rut with "negative Nancy" and it can become contagious. Likewise, being positive can be like wildfire.

Ham radio has it's lion's share of "negative Nancy's" as does Internet forums, FaceBook, TV, and walking down the street. Depending on when I leave work, they are right outside my job. I just keep walking. Likewise, when I hear them on the radio, I keep tuning. If they turn up on a forum, that is what IGNORE is for.

It's really THAT easy.

If ham radio interests one and they are a HAM at heart, go for it. Find a like minded group of people who will participate WITH you and not just talk to you and have a grand ol time. If one encounters the scrooges, just spin the dial and don't get sucked into wasting one's time.

Like is always said, don't feed the trolls.

K2JK

Premium Subscriber
I think the people that want to make licensing more strict to keep the "riff-raff" out are the kind of people that derive some perverse sense of self importance by being a ham.

Perhaps they want to make licensing more strict to prevent further lowering of standards.

pdiddy24

Perhaps they want to make licensing more strict to prevent further lowering of standards.

I'm all up for that. Make it as strict as you would like. It won't make an ounce of difference. Folks would still study up and take the test and still pass.

I for one is exceptionally good at studying and passing tests. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get my engineering degree. That says absolutely nothing about being a good engineer. Same can apply to an operator. If we are going to be critical of what a good operator is required to do, then we need to enforce more stringent licensing and higher fees. You will still get substandard operators because your expectations are not tangible nor realistic, let alone standardized. Again last time I checked, HAM operators are "amateurs". They are called such for a good reason.

D

DaveNF2G

Again last time I checked, HAM operators are "amateurs". They are called such for a good reason.

And that reason is the lack of pecuniary interest in their pursuit of the hobby.

Professionals do radio to make money. Amateurs do not.

This has nothing to do with "professionalism," which is an attitude that can be manifested by pros and hams. It is also an attitude that can be painfully absent in either category.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
That comment covers it nicely.

Plenty of modes and bands for everyone. Play where you're happy, and leave others to their happiness.

If I was a moderator, I would make your post the last in this thread! Pretty much nothing more could be added to what you've stated.
Bravo!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Oh, someone else will come along with something to add to the conversation.

Such as this...

Whenever I hear someone say they are unhappy with their amateur radio experience or feel bored/fed-up/uninspired with what they are doing in amateur radio, I refer them to this list:

NFARL Web: 100+ Things to do in Ham Radio

Compared to most other avocations, amateur radio presents a very broad range of interests and pursuits. There's always something else to do, something else to learn, and different people with which to experience amateur radio.

elk2370bruce

Your post is comprehensive, well-researched, and honest intellectually in my humble opinion. Therefore, it deserves consideration as to a solution.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAM RADIO WAS BEFORE IT WASN'T - WHEN THE HOBBY WAS DESTROYED BY THE CHARLESTONS ON THE ONE HAND AND BY THE "GIVE EVERYONE A TROPHY" ON THE OTHER.

Bill

I thought that the Charleston was a dance in the roaring 20's. What does that have to do with amateur radio? Does it have a Q code? Believe it or not (you probably won't) there are some of us re-treads who returned to the hobby who use cw and actually enjoy it!. In my youth, there was even a "novice net" on 40 to help kids like me improve our skills with the straight key, Where is that guiding help now? Rather than help revive cw as a skill, all we get is the whining and complaining that the loss of the requirement caused the decline of western civilization, the shrinking of the polar icecaps, middle aged flatulence and pattern baldness. Why did the experienced ops stop being elmers and became detractors. This battle has gone on for several decades and the codger club (I'm in it) does nothing to be the educators and leaders of our hobby. Cliffnotes version: Stop whining and become a positive force in helping new hams to expand their knowledge beyond "equipment operators".

Status
Not open for further replies.