Trying to use BC365CRS to listen to DC Police

quentinhe

Hi,
My husband got me a BC365CRS scanner for my birthday today hoping it could be tuned to DC's Metropolitan Police radio. I'm new to all this radio stuff but my initial research suggests that MPD is on a Project-25 Phase II service type, which means my scanner can't get it, right?

What's the most affordable scanner I could get that would allow me to listen to MPD? Here's the DC radio info: District of Columbia Trunking System, District of Columbia, District of Columbia

I'm specifically trying to listen in to MPD's dispatch for the different 7 Districts.

Thanks for your help!

tvengr

Well Known Member
Most of the talkgroups are currently P25 Phase 1. Washington DC Metro Police are fully encrypted and cannot be received by any scanner.
110252b11DEMPD 1D1st DistrictLaw Dispatch
110272b13DEMPD 2D2nd DistrictLaw Dispatch
110292b15DEMPD 3D3rd DistrictLaw Dispatch
110312b17DEMPD 4D4th DistrictLaw Dispatch
110332b19DEMPD 5D5th DistrictLaw Dispatch
110352b1bDEMPD 6D6th DistrictLaw Dispatch
110372b1dDEMPD 7D7th DistrictLaw Dispatch
110412b21DEMPD SOD1 EvtSpecial Operations Division 1 EventLaw Dispatch
110492b29DEMPD 1D Tac1st District TacLaw Tac
110512b2bDEMPD 2D Tac2nd District TacLaw Tac
110532b2dDEMPD 3D Tac3rd District TacLaw Tac
110552b2fDEMPD 4D Tac4th District TacLaw Tac
110572b31DEMPD 5D Tac5th District TacLaw Tac
110592b33DEMPD 6D Tac6th District TacLaw Tac
110612b35DEMPD 7D Tac7th District TacLaw Tac
Note DE in the Mode Column. The D means Phase 1. The E means fully encrypted. De is Phase 1 and encrypted part of the time. T Means Phase 2. TE is fully encrypted and Te is encrypted part of the time.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
My husband got me a BC365CRS scanner for my birthday today hoping it could be tuned to DC's Metropolitan Police radio.

The BC365CRS is not a digital scanner and is not capable of Digital Radio system monitoring, (e.g. Project 25, DMR, NXDN). Even if it was almost everything in DC is encrypted which no scanner can receive.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Database shows that Fire/EMS, Hospitals, and Services in DC are open to receive. Washington DC and surrounding counties use simulcast sites. I would recommend a Uniden SDS100 handheld or SDS200 base/mobile. There is a lot to monitor in the adjacent counties including law enforcement in most.

quentinhe

Database shows that Fire/EMS, Hospitals, and Services in DC are open to receive. Washington DC and surrounding counties use simulcast sites. I would recommend a Uniden SDS100 handheld or SDS200 base/mobile. There is a lot to monitor in the adjacent counties including law enforcement in most.
Yeah, I'm just after MPD is all. Looking to join MPD so my husband thought it'd be cool to get me a scanner so I could listen in and start to learn/pick things up over the radio. Shame that looks like it won't be able to happen! Appreciate the help/suggestions anyway.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The Regional Forum might help to determine if a lower priced scanner (such as the Uniden BCD996P2 or the BCD325P2) might work for you. The SDS100 & SDS200 are able to handle “simulcast” issues (which may be a problem with lesser scanners) with the agencies you want to monitor. But that forum is where you will find people with first hand knowledge of what works for that area.

Look under the “Forums” tab and scroll way down to the regional forums, listed by state (look for DC also) and ask what scanners will work… in relation to if “simulcast” is an issue.

Do a search for Simulcast for a definition, how it affects reception on consumer scanners and possible remedies available on the lesser scanners. Who knows, you may not be affected by it, as is/was the case with me in Ct. when listening to Ct Land Mobile Radio Network (CLMRN). It’s a statewide simulcast system that the state police use. I used a BCD325P2 without issue. But I’ve since upgraded to the SDS100 & SDS200 and the system has grown since, adding additional transmitting antennas/locations, so it wouldn’t surprise me if I am now susceptible to simulcast issues if I were to use the 996 or 325.

Dewey

With the exception of Citywide 1, MPDC (DC Metropolitan Police) are fully and 100% encrypted. There is no scanner that is going to receive it.