• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Two New Frequencies for GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

quarterwave

Well, since the link doesn't work, and these are known guard bands, I will hold off on the party horns.

Even if they do issue these, how long with it take Radio Shack, Cobra, Midland, Uniden and Motorola to lobby the FCC to allow them to put the NEW "GMRS" channels in their combo radios so they can be used illegally? About 8 minutes, I project.

I was working with a customer the other day, and I noticed a nice set of 6 Uniden Combo radios on a desk. I grabbed one and fired it up. Sure enough they are on FRS 1 with PL code 1. I asked if they used them much (they had just moved in the building) and the guy said not yet. And I told him he might want to put them on another FRS channel (And explained he should not use the GMRS channels and why) because his competition down the road (whom I also service) uses FRS 1 / PL 1. LOL!

div3405

Feed Provider
GMRS new frequencies

Try this site:

Go to the page 28

Attachments

• Snapz Pro XMovie Copy and Past021.jpg
    Snapz Pro XMovie Copy and Past021.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,096

quarterwave

The link: http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf

I still don't think that means they are adding those channels, I think it refers to the very edge of the band with modulation from the center of the adjacent frequency 462.5375->462.5500 is the last center.

I could be wrong, but usually they are more clear about what is being added or removed, this appears to be more of a chart of bands. A color coded table would be better, we used to have one NABER put out back in the day, hanging in our M shop.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I guess the FRS/GMRS frequencies are now so overloaded new ones need to be added, if that is the case? I doubt their really is a need.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
None of the Part 95 sections that actually describe the specific GMRS (and MURS and FRS) Tx and Rx frequencies show any changes or amendments in several years. There's no new channels listed.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
These new channels will come in handy to stay in touch with my children at a busy shopping mall or to keep track of busy senior citizens as they go from pharmacy to pharmacy in search of the best deals on generics. Maybe we could have a GMRS FRS version of Obama phone on it. Use the new frequencies for democratic community organizers to stay in touch in the community.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
These new channels will come in handy to stay in touch with my children at a busy shopping mall or to keep track of busy senior citizens as they go from pharmacy to pharmacy in search of the best deals on generics. Maybe we could have a GMRS FRS version of Obama phone on it. Use the new frequencies for democratic community organizers to stay in touch in the community.

There aren't any new frs or gmrs frequencies meaning there is a total of 22 usable frequencies depending on if you're licensed or not.
Politicians are probably the LAST people most of us would want to hear on the air. :roll:

n9zas

ecps92

Amazing the damage a Troll can do. Worse than Animals and Children.

Mabye it's time for a moderator to step in and close the thread, as no one is listening to the facts :roll:

There aren't any new frs or gmrs frequencies meaning there is a total of 22 usable frequencies depending on if you're licensed or not.
Politicians are probably the LAST people most of us would want to hear on the air. :roll:

n9zas

rapidcharger

This thread is up to two pages?

Good grief.
locked.gif

Dantian

The FCC already has two pending proceedings on GMRS, I don't think they are going to add a third one. Not if they have any sense.

And they already got egg on their beard years ago when they restricted the 675 channel as only for use in emergencies and traveler assistance. They yanked that restriction back the same year (1999).

Hopefully nobody has filed a petition to allocate GMRS channels to Homeland Security. But I suppose stranger things have happened.

div3405

Feed Provider
Well Ladies and Gentlemen!!!

I have finally gotten the right information from the FCC which states:

"If you look at Part 2, 2.106 Table of Frequency Allocations, The Personal Radio (Part95) is listed as 462.5375- 462.7375. Thus it is trying to indicate that the frequency marks the band edge of the GMRS band of frequencies but because it is at the band edge it can not be used. Any attempts to operate on this frequency would throw out of the permitted GMRS band."

So I have been wrong the whole time!

My apology for been human and getting everyone's hopes up.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Well Ladies and Gentlemen!!!

I have finally gotten the right information from the FCC which states:

"If you look at Part 2, 2.106 Table of Frequency Allocations, The Personal Radio (Part95) is listed as 462.5375- 462.7375. Thus it is trying to indicate that the frequency marks the band edge of the GMRS band of frequencies but because it is at the band edge it can not be used. Any attempts to operate on this frequency would throw out of the permitted GMRS band."

So I have been wrong the whole time!

My apology for been human and getting everyone's hopes up.

You are a human bean, indeed!

You did get some of us to think twice, some others knew all along that it could not be.

I'm one of the ones that thought twice. Hey at least you got me to think!

KF4ZTO

Where exactly are all 15 of the GMRS + the 7 "FRS only" channels fully congested? 11-meter CB is congested. While in a large city you can hear activity on a handful of the channels for sure...saying the service is "congested" is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Also, +1 to whoever said Part 95 services (which both GMRS and FRS fall under) aren't narrowbanding.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

This has already been settled if you look up a few posts. The OP admitted he was mistaken, and apologized.
Can this thread be closed now?

Status
Not open for further replies.