• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G1 vs Motorola Minitor V

Aidan603

Hello I’m in the market for a pager and I’ve found good deals on both a minitor v and a unication G1. Which one is better and why? I can’t afford the minitor vi at the moment so I’m looking into each of these. Thanks!

OnYourSix

NY --> NC
Premium Subscriber
The first thing you want to think about it what you need to listen to. Do you want to listen to operational channels in addition to the alerting channels? The next thing is price, a Minitor 5 is $99 on eBay, and a G1 is going to be double the price. You can get 2 channels on the Monitor 5. What department do you want to listen to?

Aidan603

The first thing you want to think about it what you need to listen to. Do you want to listen to operational channels in addition to the alerting channels? The next thing is price, a Minitor 5 is $99 on eBay, and a G1 is going to be double the price. You can get 2 channels on the Monitor 5. What department do you want to listen to?
I found a minitor 5 for $99 on eBay without a charger and the charger is $40 and I also found a minitor g1 for $180 on eBay with included programming for the price. I wanna listen to New Boston, NH Fire Department. It’s analog. What makes the g1 more expensive? Thank you

a417

What makes the g1 more expensive? Thank you
The technology therein.

minitor V was released around 2005, the unication G1 many years later.

It has a screen, it has more buttons, it has more features, it has different batteries...more $$$

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
I found a minitor 5 for $99 on eBay without a charger and the charger is $40 and I also found a minitor g1 for $180 on eBay with included programming for the price. I wanna listen to New Boston, NH Fire Department. It’s analog. What makes the g1 more expensive? Thank you

The Motorola Minitor V hasn't been produced since around 2014. While they still work, getting OEM batteries can be difficult. The Unication G1 is still made by Unication, uses AAA batteries, and offers many more features. 64 channels, a screen to display the time, what channel you are on, mode, etc. The G1 is much more rugged can take the abuse of everyday working environments that have for our jobs. The G1 would be a better use of your time and effort in my opinon.

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
Hi I have both the G1 and 3 Minitor V and a IV. The G1 seems to have a better sound and has the clock as stated. The "scan" on the Minitors seem to make the incoming sound not as clear as the G1. I like both but the G1 has the edge. One day I will go for the G5

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Scan on G1 I think is better and the most important thing to me was able to use PL/DPL on a channel

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I prefer the mintor over a G1. The G1 is more like a fancy scanner to me. I want a simple easy to use pager to alert when i get calls and /or monitor a limited number of channels.

KC1ART

Feed Provider
Hello I’m in the market for a pager and I’ve found good deals on both a minitor v and a unication G1. Which one is better and why? I can’t afford the minitor vi at the moment so I’m looking into each of these. Thanks!
I really want to recommend the G1, but I don’t think I can. Our department bought 15 of them a couple years ago. Since that time, 3 of them have stopped alerting; the speaker still passes beeps and other sound when you press buttons, but they don’t alert, and you can’t hear any radio traffic. 4 of the G1’s have lost their front buttons; they just….fall off. 1 of the G1’s charging bases melted at the 5v plug in, another one just stopped charging.

Programming in area and mutual aid departments for situational awareness is a huge plus, but we’ve had so many build quality problems, that I think I’d rather have a Minitor.

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
I guys. As I posted before I have both. But after using both at work and around the house
I am leaning to the my Minitors . They are smaller and seem to have better "ears" for the channels I listen to. ( Still mostly analog here in Mass.) The only thing that bugs me is that the Minitors on scan seem to not be as clear. May be its just me being old school Radio Shack /Bearcat type.
At 67 I have probably just about every this out there less DMR. Spoiled I guess.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I really want to recommend the G1, but I don’t think I can. Our department bought 15 of them a couple years ago. Since that time, 3 of them have stopped alerting; the speaker still passes beeps and other sound when you press buttons, but they don’t alert, and you can’t hear any radio traffic. 4 of the G1’s have lost their front buttons; they just….fall off. 1 of the G1’s charging bases melted at the 5v plug in, another one just stopped charging.

Programming in area and mutual aid departments for situational awareness is a huge plus, but we’ve had so many build quality problems, that I think I’d rather have a Minitor.
That really surprised me, to read the reported quality control issues. Unication had made solid products for years, including the Minitor series pagers, until the M6.

How did the area near the USB port get melted?

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I had the 33mhz G1 and 33mhz Minitor V side by side for a few years, the G1 was mine the Minitor V was from the department. The G1 was great until it wasn't. The G1 stopped consistently alerting, then screen started to go. A Deputy Chief has buttons on the front of his G1 literally fall off. The Minitor V is near bullet proof, unless you lose a knob. The Unication G3/G4/G5 are unbeatable ... but the G1 vs Minitor V ... go with the Minitor, unless you need to monitor more than two channels at once.