• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G4 & G5 audio dropout

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2smb

Audio Fix

Received the ' fix ' for my G5 yesterday and am testing it out. Will post my results in a week or so, sooner if it fails. Thank you David for getting that out to me.

kc2smb

Audio Fix

So I have been using the audio fix that David sent me. Has been a couple weeks now and I am happy to report that it seems to have corrected the issue. I will add the qualifier that it has not been really hot up here the last couple of weeks. That being said it is working fine. If it does fail I will notify Dave and post here. No news is good news. Has anyone else applied the fix and how are your results ? I am purposely being vague about " the fix " out of respect for Daves wishes that it not be released until authorized. If anybody using the fix can post your results without disclosing the manner of the fix it would be beneficial to all, especially if it didn't work for you.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Am i the only one concerned that the fix or at least temporary fix for a 400.00 plus pager that claims to be public safety grade is loosening screws. How about they do a proper fixafor everyone. I am damm sure glad i saw this my dept and about 4 or 5 others in my county were considering giving this company a try again time to make some calls.

Am i the only one concerned that the fix or at least temporary fix for a 400.00 plus pager that claims to be public safety grade is loosening screws. How about they do a proper fixafor everyone. I am damm sure glad i saw this my dept and about 4 or 5 others in my county were considering giving this company a try again time to make some calls.
You're way off on the pricing. Try about $850 for the G5!

Loosening screws for the unit to stop overheating or the speaker cutting out or whatever the issue for a pager marketed "Specifically" for Fire and EMS shows that these units aren't ready for us (EMS).

The funny part in all of this, is that Unication is "persuading" those with problems to give positive feedback when posting on this forum.

PS.... I'm not a fan boy of this product YET... I was ready to buy one at the discounted price. Unfortunately, I had too many questions and concerns about this product. Maybe in the future I'll jump on the bandwagon. But there is no way I'm going to present this product to a Captain for consideration.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber

Loosening screws for the unit to stop overheating or the speaker cutting out or whatever the issue for a pager marketed "Specifically" for Fire and EMS shows that these units aren't ready for us (EMS).

The funny part in all of this, is that Unication is "persuading" those with problems to give positive feedback when posting on this forum.

PS.... I'm not a fan boy of this product YET... I was ready to buy one at the discounted price. Unfortunately, I had too many questions and concerns about this product. Maybe in the future I'll jump on the bandwagon. But there is no way I'm going to present this product to a Captain for consideration.
I'm not persuading anyone to say anything the unit speaks for itself...I would love to release the fix to everyone but for one the issue is not as wide spread as you are making it out to be and two we have a limited number of the "fix" for testing purposes only and it may not be the final version...and again the audio issue has nothing to do with Temperature.

I'm not persuading anyone to say anything the unit speaks for itself...I would love to release the fix to everyone but for one the issue is not as wide spread as you are making it out to be and two we have a limited number of the "fix" for testing purposes only and it may not be the final version...and again the audio issue has nothing to do with Temperature.
I'm not making anything bigger than what it is. I am merely going on posts of owners on these threads. Considering the small amount of units sold, I think there is a problem.

So clarify what the existing problems are? Nip it in the bud and say it!

Like I said, I want to be a fan boy of this product. But things aren't adding up. This isn't my first time I've posted about this.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
I'm not making anything bigger than what it is. I am merely going on posts of owners on these threads. Considering the small amount of units sold, I think there is a problem.

So clarify what the existing problems are? Nip it in the bud and say it!

Like I said, I want to be a fan boy of this product. But things aren't adding up. This isn't my first time I've posted about this.
I really wish I could but I haven't been authorized to release the info yet I promise the second I am able to release it i will...this forum is a small group of users when compared to the amount of units currently in the field this is a great Community to be a part of and I'm glad that I can provide any assistance and answers for our customers by this platform just please trust that I am doing everything I can to make this unit the best it can be

cpetraglia

I have commented on this negativity before. For someone to have this terrible opinion, perhaps they should use one like the rest of us before trashing it. I have had minimal problems. The one I did have was battery related and Unication resolved it almost instantly with a new pager. They are listening to us and working to resolve issues. I have not had the audio issue after 6 months of heavy use (24/7).How long did it take all the Uniden owners to get satisfaction? They may have gotten their scanners fixed, but they still don't do anything for LSM reception. I am totally satisfied with my G4 and recommend people try one before all the negative comments.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have to agree with cpetraglia, negative comments from a person(s) who does not even own one seems a bit harsh. Ive had mine for well over 6 months and am very happy with it. Sure my audio dropped a couple of times but i got a rapid response from Unication_David as he genuinely wants to know more details to fix the issue. I am impressed with this companies response and believe that they are going a long way to furthering the product line for use outside its intended use, which is us, the scanner community. Im also not sure its a wide spread issue either.
Have you seen the thread from the uniden BCD436HP bashing its UHF reception. Now that might be an issue. Glad it doesnt affect my unit but Uniden has not weighed in on it either.
In this thread we are seeing a company rep try to track down the issue and work to get it fixed.
Thats also the part about testing a product before you make larger purchases for your department. Since i have one i can actually comment about it.
Also loosening the screws was not a fix, but was a way to test a theory of why the audio is dropping.

I will also go on record saying that nobody from Unication has asked me or as you say persuaded me to say anything about the pager. My comments reflect my opinion, an opinion of someone who has actually purchased the product and used it.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
I honestly feel like Dave and the Unication team are trying their best to identify and solve the audio drop out problem. I was the first person to report the problem to Dave a year ago and he has been in contact with me continuously during this past year. It has taken a long time but not for lack of effort; its just one of those intermittent problems thats tough to figure out. I also applied the fix and have not been able to repeat the audio issue so hopefully its over.

Next on the list is the ability to change menu during a transmission and SCAN HOLD. Hopefully sooner than later.

I commend Unication for attempting to be proactive.

But it seems you guys forget about the thread named "what do you wish for the G series" (something like that)... In that thread YOU guys listed many basic issues with your units...

For example,

"we need a headphone jack. We need the ability to extract the audio for use with an amplified speaker of choice. The BT just doesn't work for me. That's my biggest wish. After that, the ability to hold on a TG, set a TG delay in software would be fine, and get the menu option to override scanning until changes are complete. My system is so busy, I have to disconnect the ant. so as to complete the menu changes without being interrupted constantly."

So for starters..

No Headphone Jack
Bluetooth not working
Unable to hold on TG
Menu not working that you have to disconnect the antenna

I mean come on people, I'm not making this stuff up. This has all been posted by you guys. The issues are real. These are just some problems. Yes, these annoyances can be fixed via software. So about fixing them. It's not like unication is some massive corporation. Especially when the company released a video on how to program that looks and sounds horrible.

Trust me when I tell you this. I want to buy one of these units. I like the form factor. The programming software looks promising. Unfortunately, there are too many concerns for me to blow $850. How can a unit not have an aux jack or working Bluetooth! That's like saying Apples newest phone without Bluetooth. Imagine the uproar there. I'm also concerned how long this product will last.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Im sure not everyone needs BT or a headset jack. If this is a mil specked device then adding a headphone jack would put it at risk for loosing certain IP specifications as you have created a weak point that could allow dust or liquid into the device, or perhaps no room on the board since its such a small device. I have yet to use the headset jack on my BCD436HP. But i do get where your coming from. However anything hardware wont come anytime soon as it has to be evaluated by the development team, then see if it can be implemented by with out much cost and lots of other stuff has to go down before they can create a new unit with those features. Heck far as we know this forum may have gotten the ball rolling on a revised unit with out the rugged specs that EMS/Fire guys need and maybe they are working on a lite version for scanner people. Thats if they want to enter the scanner business.

I used several bluetooth speakers with no problems on my G4. (there might have been an annoying beep at the beginning of each transmission but its been a while since i even tested BT) But i dont like to use BT so not an issue for me.

I will agree with the other two.
But again its designed primarily for people who are using this as a pager not as a full blown scanner.

I mean come on man, maybe you are making some of this stuff up. LOL sorry couldnt resist. (yes that was a joke for those who dont know it was)

The product will last as long as the market is there for this product.
IF things keep going encrypted no scanner person will buy it, but sys admins can still use it and distribute it if they added that ability.

This product was created for a small subset of the market anyway. IT was to fill the gap for agencies needing a pager that were on VHF or UHF and went to a trunking system. But yes i see it as having much more potential.

Id like analog trunking, and Phase 2 over accessories like bluetooth and a headset jack.
Ironically the only complaint i have now is i have a tendency to knock it over to easily when its setting on my desk or by my other radios. I also have a Hytera PD682 with the same problem. But thats just me im sure.

Since you brought up Apple, you do know the iPhone 7 got rid of the headset jack. Right?
I hope you dont buy an iPhone 7 since its lacking a headphone jack. :)

We are early on adopters of the Unication G4/G5 devices being used as scanners. So lets be patient and see how this plays out with Unication. Save your money, keep giving them feedback, which by the way i do think your feedback is constructive but try to keep it positive.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I like my Unication G5 well enough that I will probably buy another one after selling off some crappy Unidens and Whistlers that simply don't work on the local LSM systems. If you haven't experienced LSM reception issues, or you don't realize your Uniden and Whistler scanners are working well, then it's probably going to be hard to convince you that Unications are worth the money.

I, however, can put up with some of its shortcomings and higher price, because I know I'm not missing traffic like the Unidens and Whistlers.

I tried blue tooth with a cell phone earpiece, and it worked. The volume is loud enough with the built-in speaker, even while I'm driving for me to hear without using another speaker.

Yes, the menu is frustrating to use when a transmission is received, but the Uniden BCD436/536HPs also have their problems with sluggish response during recording too, and nothing has been done about that in the years that it's been a problem.

For those who haven't seen it, here's a link to a review I did a while back.

Unication G5 Voice Pager as a Scanner - Review

No one has prompted me to post positive stuff. It's all on my own. I hope Unication continues to improve their product. I look forward to continuing to use it.

Happy Scanning,
Ben
I commend Unication for attempting to be proactive.

But it seems you guys forget about the thread named "what do you wish for the G series" (something like that)... In that thread YOU guys listed many basic issues with your units...

For example,

"we need a headphone jack. We need the ability to extract the audio for use with an amplified speaker of choice. The BT just doesn't work for me. That's my biggest wish. After that, the ability to hold on a TG, set a TG delay in software would be fine, and get the menu option to override scanning until changes are complete. My system is so busy, I have to disconnect the ant. so as to complete the menu changes without being interrupted constantly."

So for starters..

No Headphone Jack
Bluetooth not working
Unable to hold on TG
Menu not working that you have to disconnect the antenna

I mean come on people, I'm not making this stuff up. This has all been posted by you guys. The issues are real. These are just some problems. Yes, these annoyances can be fixed via software. So about fixing them. It's not like unication is some massive corporation. Especially when the company released a video on how to program that looks and sounds horrible.

Trust me when I tell you this. I want to buy one of these units. I like the form factor. The programming software looks promising. Unfortunately, there are too many concerns for me to blow $850. How can a unit not have an aux jack or working Bluetooth! That's like saying Apples newest phone without Bluetooth. Imagine the uproar there. I'm also concerned how long this product will last.

cpetraglia

As far as my complaints on BT, I have a different use for mine and many other people don't care about quality sound. I have finally found a decent BT receiver and posted the details on what I had to do. All the other stuff is just wishful thinking and will more than likely be fixed in FW. I too am very close to picking up a second one.(G5). My comments are certainly my own. Think of it this way; The better the pagers get has to push the scanner manufactures to improve LSM. I would pay $1000.00 to have a scanner with the features of my 996XT that actually worked. I imagine there are many more of us that would too.

PS I would not buy an Apple product ever. I believe the FBI should have jailed the A** H*** when they asked for help with the terrorist's phone.
No Apple products here ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.