Unication g5 question

Wnqk784

I wasn't sure where to ask about this so I thought I would ask locally I'm thinking about buying a unication g5 and I wanted to what was the receive range on one in other words how far can it receive I have a SDS 100 and it does fairly well but I was curious about the g5 of anyone can help

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
I live in Upstate NY near Albany. My G5 blows my SDS 100 away on several local simulcast systems. I can receive the Saratoga County System which is probably 40-45 miles away. The SDS 100 struggles with it.

Good luck with everything!

Wnqk784

Thanks for the info my SDS does pretty good on the simulcast systems around me most of the time it does have a tendency to be choppy at times I also have a pro 96 that blows it out of the water when it comes to getting single towers on p 25 if my 96 would do that well on simulcast it would be at my SDS hands down

CLTscanner

@Wnqk784
I too have considered buying a G5. I'm still doing research, but I wanted to share some information that another member provided in a different thread that I found interesting:
> Limit of 64 Talkgroups per knob position
> Trunking talkgroups and conventional frequencies cannot be mixed on the same knob position.

The Unication pagers are excellent for decoding simulcast sites but do have limitations. The G4 is for 700/800 MHz only. The G5 covers UHF/700/800 OR VHF/700/800. There are several UHF models depending on the frequency range. The pagers can scan only one system and one site at a time. There is a maximum of 64 talkgroups per knob position. Talkgroups and conventional frequencies cannot be mixed on a knob position. If you plan on scanning multiple counties or sites simultaneously or mixing a trunked system and conventional frequencies, a scanner is much more versatile.
*** Giving credit where credit is due: Thanks @tvengr for the information!

mlindler

Premium Subscriber
@Wnqk784 @CLTscanner I exclusively use a Unication G5. Hands down the best receiver I've ever used. You are absolutely correct in the limitations to 64TGs per knob position as far as identifiable TGS. However, you can set it to "free scan" and it will pick up anything on the site you are monitoring. Free Scan can be very handy. Ray at Trusted Unication Pagers For Sale | Shop Fire & EMS Voice Pagers has awesome customer support if you are looking for a dealer. If you have any questions about programming for SC, GA, or NC let me know. I have programmed MANY G4/G5s here in SC.

HandiScratchy

@Wnqk784 @CLTscanner I exclusively use a Unication G5. Hands down the best receiver I've ever used. You are absolutely correct in the limitations to 64TGs per knob position as far as identifiable TGS. However, you can set it to "free scan" and it will pick up anything on the site you are monitoring. Free Scan can be very handy. Ray at Trusted Unication Pagers For Sale | Shop Fire & EMS Voice Pagers has awesome customer support if you are looking for a dealer. If you have any questions about programming for SC, GA, or NC let me know. I have programmed MANY G4/G5s here in SC.
I have also been considering a unication and have a question for you. If all I want to hear is LEO dispatch/talk would CMPD (Steele Creek 1 & 2, Westover, South and Providence) and York County Public Safety (Sheriff, Fort Mill, Tega Cay and SCHP) fit on two knob positions?

Wnqk784

Sounds like it should I'm only interested in le talk groups myself but some counties in my area are encrypted unfortunately like Florence Williamsburg and Sumter but horry and Marion aren't as of yet fingers crossed and hopefully schp won't go dark either

mlindler

Premium Subscriber
I have also been considering a unication and have a question for you. If all I want to hear is LEO dispatch/talk would CMPD (Steele Creek 1 & 2, Westover, South and Providence) and York County Public Safety (Sheriff, Fort Mill, Tega Cay and SCHP) fit on two knob positions?
They would all fit on one (1) knob position.

Wnqk784

I think that they should too the only county that has the most talk groups is horry with a north south west and central dispatch channels as well as talk around and alternate channels for each

hill

Premium Subscriber
If all I want to hear is LEO dispatch/talk would CMPD (Steele Creek 1 & 2, Westover, South and Providence) and York County Public Safety (Sheriff, Fort Mill, Tega Cay and SCHP) fit on two knob positions?

They will fit on two knob positions if all on the same Trunked Radio System. If are on different systems each would need to be on it's own knob position.

I have not looked at the database here to see what systems these use.

I closing the Unication are great receivers for P25 trunked systems even with their limitations are still great. With great all day battery life, plus being small easy to carry when out and about. Got my first one a G4 brand new at the end of 2021, but picked up for a very good price a G5 at a local hamfest this year. I am interested in the possibly of picking up a few more on the used market, since these are going to be my main receivers going forward.

qball

Premium Subscriber
I have a G4 and G5 and they work great in the simulcast environment. I have only programmed them for basic monitoring functions, but they it really does work better than my SDS100. However, they are more expensive and you cannot program on the fly.

They are a great to be used as a scanner, but the antiquated signalling formats less than desirable.

Wnqk784

Hopefully they will make a scanner that will receive as well as an actual radio I have a Motorola apex 8000 walkie that I use at work and it mainly stays on the Florence County simulcast system depending on what zone I have it on but I can hear my channel all the way to Myrtle Beach which is a good 70 miles