Unication pros /cons use

flborror

Premium Subscriber
Looking for input on pros /cons on purchasing a Unication pager or use in the metro east Illinois area and Illinois Starcom

Thank you

cubn

Database Admin
Pros
Works great on a single system
I like the knobs and zones way the radio stores talkgroups and aystems

Cons
Can only listen to one site at one time
Can only listen to one system at a time
Can't monitor conventional and trunked at the same time

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Also, the pager will lock onto the first site it finds. Since it won't be scanning multiple sites, you'll only hear the traffic on that site. For example, if you are somewhat near the St Clair County simulcast system, and the pager locks onto that site, you'll hear the St Clair County traffic, but may not hear traffic occurring only on the Madison County site or the other area sites.

Same in reverse, if you say, cross over into Collinsville, it may lock onto Madison County Simulcast and you'll no longer hear most traffic from St Clair County, since most of those talkgroups only stay on that site (usually).

The only way to get around this, is to create another "Knob" with each site, so you can pick the site that you want to be on specifically.

p25man123

Premium Subscriber
I’m impressed with how it handles Simulcast within the DuPage area for Starcom. Like the others have said, you can’t scan multiple systems/conventional frequencies. I’m not a person who scans like many people would do as I prefer to monitor one frequency/talkgroup.

RTmed519

Premium Subscriber
@cubn hit the nail on the head for the main pros/cons. One pro I'll mention is the range compared to typical scanners. I've tried a lot of scanners and antennas, and for the size of the G5, this thing kills it when it comes to range.

One Con would be the programming software. Super clunky and feels really dated (more dated than other similar software).

blackbelter

Pros:
-Built like a tank.
- Low profile.
- Can capture miles away signals easily with its supplied stubby antenna.
- Professional grade devices. Do not miss a key up.
- Instant power up .
- Great dealer support.

Cons:
- Fragile antenna, selector and usb connectors.
- Volume in a noisy environment.
- BT connectivity and range.
- Clunky PPS.
- Repairs beyond warranty can be costly.
- Can not be quickly programed in the field.

As mentioned before , these are great devices to monitor single sites and talk groups . While they can’t be compared to consumer grade scanners, they will complement them.

Last edited: