Uniden 396xt audio choppy on when plugged in

lucky43113

My uniden Uniden 396xt sounds great on batteries as soon as I plug it into electric the audio gets very choppy any ideas? It does not do this if I plug the cord into the scanner and not the wall only when power is running through the wall wart.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My uniden Uniden 396xt sounds great on batteries as soon as I plug it into electric the audio gets very choppy any ideas? It does not do this if I plug the cord into the scanner and not the wall only when power is running through the wall wart.
Is your AC adapter the correct voltage and amperage?

tvengr

Well Known Member
When you plug in the cable on the AC adapter, the cable becomes part of the antenna system and can cause the antenna to become directional. Try moving the scanner and cable. Which site are you using?

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Ohio Marcs Pickaway County
The Pickaway County site shows 2 towers using the same frequencies which is the definition of a simulcast site. Any change in the antenna pattern can make a significant difference when dealing with simulcast distortion. Typical symptoms of simulcast distortion are the scanner showing NFM instead of the control channel frequency, missed transmissions, and garbled audio.

Last edited:

wtp

the fix is....don't plug it in ..!
i have 4 handhelds that never get plugged in.
i use an external charger and have extra batteries for them.
i live in Florida, so lightning is of a main concern.
i we still get power problems after Ian.
also check your squelch, it should be at 2.