BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Uniden BCD 996XT USB Driver To Use With Freescan

Wthom100

Hello Community,

Getting back into the scanning hobby after 6-7 year absence. Been pouring through the forums and wiki trying to find the following information:

1) What USB port driver should I use with Uniden BCD996XT scanner with Freescan software and using Windows 10 Pro?
2) Where would I locate the correct driver to download?

Here are the basic information regarding my set-up:
- I have 996XT scanner
- I have downloaded the Freescan software
- I use a laptop with Windows 10 Pro
- The laptop sees when a USB plug is connected (I hear the ding sound)
- Have USB cable with serial port adaptor - i.e. the cable that plugs into the 996XT unit has serial port connection on the other end. I attached an USB adaptor cable to allow connection to my laptop US port. I believe I purchased the cable from Uniden 6-7 years ago. I am sure it still works as I used it before and it has been stored in a cool dry place.
- I purchased the Uniden cable after 2013CY
- I am a "medium" skill level with IT related items. I can usually find my way through but I want to be careful not to load the wrong items that would degrade or crash my laptop computer

I have looked at many forum threads on this topic and it is not clear to me what USB driver I should be using. The wiki seems to suggest Prolific but going to the Prolific link it seems there are multiple versions of drivers. Which one should I use? It is confusing. The Freescan software site does not have any links that I can readily see for USB driver downloads (I know Freescan is not supported much anymore). Scanmaster has link for BCD996P2 USB driver but that link is dead. I saw a thread where a member attached a USB driver zip file but it seemed like you could not get an actual driver to download from that file.

So, I am hoping someone who may have experienced this before can help.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I attached an USB adaptor cable to allow connection to my laptop US port.
It would depend on the chip in that adaptor as to what driver you would need. Just be aware that a lot of older serial to USB drivers will no longer work with Win10 or 11.

For the BCD996XT scanner, the scanner doesn't need the driver, the adaptor from serial to USB needs the driver.

Look in your computer's "device manager" to see if there is a "COM" port assigned to that adaptor under the heading "Ports (COM and LPT) when it's plugged in to the computer. If it doesn't have a COM port number assigned to it, the error message may give you a hint as to the type of chip in the adaptor.

If you don't have any luck with that, this cable will go directly from the front port on the BCD996XT to a USB port on your computer. It has the serial to USB adaptor built into the cable, and the driver is plug and play with Win10. I'm currently using one on my BCD996XT as we speak.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber

N9JIG

Sheriff
When you plug the USB-1 cable into the computer it should automatically install the driver. Look in Device Manager under Ports and it shousl show up as something akin to "Prolific USB-Serial Comm Port (Comx)" where the "x" is the Comm Port number.

If it shows up as an unknown device then right-click on it and "Update Driver".

If Device Manager displays a message about an unsupported device then you have an older USB-1 cable that will not work in Windows 10 or 11 (well, at least not with some more technical skills...) and should be replaced. There are 2 different USB-1 cables that are visually identical but the newer one works in 64-bit Windows, the older does not.

You can also use a different cable plugged into the rear serial port of the 996XT. I have this cable and it works great in Windows 10 and 11: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008634VJY

Wthom100

All - Thanks for all the replies. It appears to work now. I basically just plugged in the USB connection cable into the laptop, then checked "Device Manager - Ports/Coms" and it showed-up there in Com 4. It works as I have been downloading and uploading the scanner. Did not have to download anything or have to purchase a new cable. I am happy as I thought I was have to do a bunch of acrobatics with the computer to get this to work. Now I have to get familiar again with Freescan. I am having trouble deleting things from the scanner. Thanks again all.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
With freescan, when you go to upload/download/control scanner... get in the habit to ALWAYS use the Start Auto to find your comm port.

aford66

I have learned a lot from this thread. I am also a long time scanner user that has been away from it for a few years due to moving. I am just getting back into it and have just had to replace my computer with a new one that's running Windows 11. My first question is will Freescan run on Windows 11 ?? If not, what should I use instead? If I use something else will I be able to use my old Freescan files, or will I have to start over from scratch? The only problem I have been having trouble with is the "view in google" feature is not working anymore, should I be able to get that working? I have been using Freescan for many years and have always liked it, and thought it performed very well.
Thanks for any help.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have learned a lot from this thread. I am also a long time scanner user that has been away from it for a few years due to moving. I am just getting back into it and have just had to replace my computer with a new one that's running Windows 11. My first question is will Freescan run on Windows 11 ?? If not, what should I use instead? If I use something else will I be able to use my old Freescan files, or will I have to start over from scratch? The only problem I have been having trouble with is the "view in google" feature is not working anymore, should I be able to get that working? I have been using Freescan for many years and have always liked it, and thought it performed very well.
Thanks for any help.
Freescan works fine on Windows 11. If using a Prolific USB serial port driver then the driver may not work with Win 11 but can be fixed.
What do you mean by "view in google". Are you referring to Google Maps or "GPS System Plotter..."? If so then that does not work with any Windows versions.

{edit} To elaborate on the GPS System Plotter not working: The reason is because Freescan stopped development before Google added the following requirements. None are in Freescan.
1. A developers key
2. Use https and not http
3. A later version of the API

Last edited:

aford66

Thank you for that information.

When I was first using Freescan years ago it was possible after inserting the GPS info into the correct boxes, to click on the box that now says "view in Google" (or whatever it said then). When you clicked on that box it would open another pane to the right, in which a map with a circle in it would show the area and diameter representing the information you entered. That way you could verify that the information entered was correct. I found that to be incredibly helpful since I would make an occasional mistake. It was much easier to correct any mistakes right there and then, than having to wait and realize you had made a mistake while using the scanner while driving.

That feature, at least in my machine, stopped working before I had to take a break from the hobby. I had hoped that it may have been fixed since then, but sadly it hasn't. Does Proscan have a feature like that? Any word as to whether I could somehow use my Freescan files with Proscan?
Thanks

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for that information.

When I was first using Freescan years ago it was possible after inserting the GPS info into the correct boxes, to click on the box that now says "view in Google" (or whatever it said then). When you clicked on that box it would open another pane to the right, in which a map with a circle in it would show the area and diameter representing the information you entered. That way you could verify that the information entered was correct. I found that to be incredibly helpful since I would make an occasional mistake. It was much easier to correct any mistakes right there and then, than having to wait and realize you had made a mistake while using the scanner while driving.

That feature, at least in my machine, stopped working before I had to take a break from the hobby. I had hoped that it may have been fixed since then, but sadly it hasn't. Does Proscan have a feature like that? Any word as to whether I could somehow use my Freescan files with Proscan?
Thanks

ProScan doesn't import from FreeScan. What you can do is upload to the scanner using Freescan then download from the scanner using ProScan.

Two ways to access Google Maps in ProScan
1. Menu - Tools - Google Maps
2. Database tab then click on a group or site on the tree on the left side. Click the Google Maps button on the right side.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

wbowery

Premium Subscriber
I had the same issue. I found this info for a fix:

HOW TO GET THE USB TO SERIAL ADAPTER WORKING!

Indeed, when installing W10, the device driver for PL-2303 is the latest version. You can check it, using the configuration panel: watch the COM and LPT section, you should have the "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm (COM X)". Click on properties, and get the details:

the version driver (ser2pl.sys or ser2pl64.sys) should be something like 3.6.78.350

but this one doesn't work anymore with old PL-2303 hardware.

Sometimes, installing the latest version of drivers solve the problem, but in this case, this is the opposite.
The latest version doesn't work anymore with old hardware, and you need to downgrade the driver.

If you have previously used the PL-2303 (with W7) and upgrade to W10, it's simple because the previous versions of the drivers are still on your computer. To downgrade, use the configuration panel, choose COM and LPT and right click: the first choice should be "update driver" (or something similar: sorry, but I've the French version, and hope my translation is understandable). On the next windows, choose the second option "Look for a driver on my computer". Another windows appear, and select the bottom option: "choose from a list on my computer". You should now have a list showing all versions of the driver available. By example:

- Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port Version: 3.3.3.114

- Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port Version: 3.4.48.272

- Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port Version: 3.6.78.350

You should select the old 3.3 (from 2009).

Later version, like 3.4 or 3.6 report error code 10.

I have tried with 3.3.2.102 and 3.3.3.114 and both works with old PL-2303 HXA/X hardware.

If you don't have the old versions of drivers, you can tried to install them from the minidisc provided with your product. On mine, I have two programs (32 and 64 bits) called "PL-2303 WIN7 Driver Installer.exe". Launch this program, it will install the driver. But, as soon as you plug the device on USB port, you W10 will revert to the latest version (3.6). If you watch the configuration panel, you will see the COM port coming OK, but then switch off because of error 10. It don't care, because the old version is now available in the list, and you can proceed as mentioned above. Once manually set, the device driver remain in the 3.3 release.

Tested on W10 family and pro, 32/64 bits.
The solution for old PL-2303 HXA/X : use a driver release older than 3.4.

Edit: The procedure above works, but only temporary. Each time you turn your computer off, the latest driver is reloaded due to windows auto-update (or if you unplug and plug again the device into USB port).