HP-1: Uniden HP-1/Sentinel trouble

fnnm1062

longtime member
I am a longtime HP-1 owner, but I have not brought mine out of storage in like 10 years. The county I live in recently switched systems, so I could monitor it and it sparked my interest in trying to listen once again. Anyways, the scanner still works with what it last had installed on it, and I've downloaded Sentinel on my laptop and tried to update my scanner. The computer is not reading the scanner, I've switched cords, etc and it won't read from scanner/write to scanner etc... I have a feeling, maybe I'm missing a step, I've tried researching everything, but I'm stumped. Is there someone hat could help me out, point me in the right direction, etc? Thanks in advance

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I am a longtime HP-1 owner, but I have not brought mine out of storage in like 10 years. The county I live in recently switched systems, so I could monitor it and it sparked my interest in trying to listen once again. Anyways, the scanner still works with what it last had installed on it, and I've downloaded Sentinel on my laptop and tried to update my scanner. The computer is not reading the scanner, I've switched cords, etc and it won't read from scanner/write to scanner etc... I have a feeling, maybe I'm missing a step, I've tried researching everything, but I'm stumped. Is there someone hat could help me out, point me in the right direction, etc? Thanks in advance
Be sure you're using the latest "Home Patrol" version of Sentinel (2.03.02).

To read and write from/to the scanner, be sure the scanner is in "Mass Storage" mode.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am a longtime HP-1 owner, but I have not brought mine out of storage in like 10 years. The county I live in recently switched systems, so I could monitor it and it sparked my interest in trying to listen once again.
Looking at the statewide system, MPSCS, most of the talkgroups shown for your county (Oakland) are P25 Phase II. Those are indicated by a T in the mode column for talkgroups. There are still a few Phase I talkgroups, indicated with a D in the mode column. Your HP-1 can receive the Phase I talkgroups, as long as they are not encrypted.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have had times that communication works only when the scanner is plugged in before running Sentinel. This is from using the BCDx36HP and SDS scanners. I don't own a HomePatrol scanner.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the latest version, and when I plug it in the scanner says mass storage on it

So when it says Mass Storage, is it asking you a question and waiting for input? On the x36 and sdsx00 scanners, one needs to hit E to enter Mass Storage Mode.

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
So when it says Mass Storage, is it asking you a question and waiting for input? On the x36 and sdsx00 scanners, one needs to hit E to enter Mass Storage Mode.

When you plug the scanner in to your computer open up "Device Manager" in Windows and do a "Scan for hardware changes" and see if it then finds your scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

It's possible the OP has a Home Patrol 1 without the extreme upgrade... if that's the case, when the USB cable is connected it will go directly to Mass Storage with no input from the user. If the HP1 is upgraded with the extreme upgrade, it will then need user input to choose mass storage mode.