Uniden SDS100 FCC Approval Time-line

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio3353

... I have a Uniden Bc-2500 and had to replace the battery pack a few times because the pack will except so many charges and then weakens. This was my most concerned about the SDS-100 but than again maybe since the BC-2500 things have improved.

This is common to all rechargeable batteries. It is not a Uniden thing. No rechargeable battery lasts forever so expect to replace the battery pack in the SDS100 at some point. And expect to keep a spare around while the other one charges.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
If there's enough of a demand I'm sure there will be an enterprising individual that will come up with a battery pack that accepts AAs or whatever. Design software and 3D printers are cheap and getting cheaper *and* better. Ultimately it depends on the final design of the radio, I suppose.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If there's enough of a demand I'm sure there will be an enterprising individual that will come up with a battery pack that accepts AAs or whatever.

If AAs only last an hour or so, I really don't see the point. 18650 LI-ion cells would make more sense if they physically fit. Hopefully the battery pack is based on them, rather than some oddball/proprietary cell size.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This is common to all rechargeable batteries. It is not a Uniden thing. No rechargeable battery lasts forever so expect to replace the battery pack in the SDS100 at some point.

Newer Li-ion batteries will last for more charge/discharge cycles than older batteries.

ur20v

If AAs only last an hour or so, I really don't see the point. 18650 LI-ion cells would make more sense if they physically fit. Hopefully the battery pack is based on them, rather than some oddball/proprietary cell size.

Which is why I said "or whatever". You realize there will be an angry grandpa or three who will be upset about it not accepting disposable AAs and we'll hear it about it for two weeks straight because they've got nothing better to do.

Unforgiven_AF

Which is why I said "or whatever". You realize there will be an angry grandpa or three who will be upset about it not accepting disposable AAs and we'll hear it about it for two weeks straight because they've got nothing better to do.

Tell them to wrap masking tape around their precious AAs until they are 18mm wide and stuff them in. :D

mule1075

Feed Provider
How would we be screwed by only being able to use the internal charging capability? Esp if it charges while on like pretty much every other device does these days.

That's why I posted what I did according to latest version of the manual it does not charge while the scanner is on.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
True, but post #11 of this thread Upman says that (at that point in time) the scanner would charge if on if certain temperature conditions are met.

Since the batteries are still not "locked-down" it may change again so your point is well taken.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
38C is 100.4F, so basically only not charging when overheating is a concern.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I suppose we will also need to consider Amps of the power supply.

1 Amp to listen
2 Amps to charge
Maybe 3 Amps to listen and charge? Or maybe 2 Amps will work?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
IMO it's worth noting that Whistler's announcement is nothing more or less than that--an announcement. There aren't even any photos released yet, in contrast with the SDS100 having numerous videos in action available, as well as several test units in the hands of beta testers. The question that remains is whether the TRX-100 and -200 will remain vaporware or develop into finished products.

radio3353

IMO it's worth noting that Whistler's announcement is nothing more or less than that--an announcement. There aren't even any photos released yet, in contrast with the SDS100 having numerous videos in action available, as well as several test units in the hands of beta testers. The question that remains is whether the TRX-100 and -200 will remain vaporware or develop into finished products.

You don't disappoint :roll:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You don't disappoint :roll:

What.

Ever.

I'm not accusing Whistler of anything, just pointing out they announced new products far earlier in the development cycle than Uniden did with the SDS100, so much so that they risk Osborneing themselves. I can understand why, because if the SDS100's performance matches the depictions in the videos (and there's no reason to suspect it won't), then Uniden has a huge advantage over everyone else without a simulcast-capable product. Whistler had to announce something, or effectively cede the scanner market to Uniden.

The risk Whistler is taking is that if their product isn't even sufficiently developed to release concept photos, there is a lot higher risk they will run into technical issues that will force them to push back the projected release date, than if they had waited until they at least had a working engineering prototype. I hope Whistler delivers--competition is good for everyone, even those who buy competing products. But if they don't, then it's going to seriously damage their reputation.

ur20v

My guess for photos:

The sad thing is you're probably right. They aren't the most creative bunch over there. They couldn't even come up with their own unique model number. Yeesh.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
They need to work on that front panel... those 00s in 200 almost look shopped. ;)

Maybe they should at least change the colors up every iteration if they aren't going to change anything else, externally.

milcom_chaser

They need to work on that front panel... those 00s in 200 almost look shopped. ;)

Maybe they should at least change the colors up every iteration if they aren't going to change anything else, externally.

Would agree, the brightness level looks different in context to the rest of the silk screen work.

Status
Not open for further replies.