Unusual Buzzer Transmission: SCNAG-Type Signal Spotted at 1540 UTC on December 30, 2023

SWLAdventurer

Title: Unusual SSTV Noises from Buzzer Frequency - WebSDR Recording

Body

Hello RadioReference community!

This is my first thread here, and I'm excited to share a recent encounter with the Buzzer frequency (4625 kHz). Using a WebSDR in the Netherlands ([Listen to the Recording](http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/)), I observed unusual SSTV (Slow Scan Television) noises, adding an unexpected twist to the familiar Buzzer signal.

**Date and Time:**
29th December 2023, 17:49 UTC

**Frequency:**
4625 kHz

**Equipment Used:**
WebSDR in the Netherlands

**Observations:**
During the session, I observed unusual SSTV noises, adding an unexpected twist to the familiar Buzzer signal. The snippet was recorded at approximately 17:49 UTC.

**Atmospheric Conditions:**
The recording took place during a clear sky, eliminating atmospheric interference.

WebSDR in the Netherlands

I'm eager to hear if anyone else in the community has experienced similar phenomena or has insights into what might be causing these unusual noises. Let's discuss and unravel the mystery together!

Looking forward to your thoughts and experiences.

Best regards,
SWLAdventurer

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi from a fellow Hungarian (my grandfather was born there). Undoubtedly you got UVB76, the 'Buzzer'. There are many such stations that send data (sometimes in voice, digital or CW) that most are not sure what it's for. There are numerous such recordings on YouTube, viz.

is but one example.

Here's a page from the well known Priyom website on the station

Mike

SWLAdventurer

Hi Ka3jjz,Thank you for sharing your experiences! It's fascinating to connect with a fellow Hungarian and hear about your grandmother's monitoring of the 'Buzzer' in Miskolc. Even though the video was blocked, I appreciate your willingness to share the experience.I'm planning to continue monitoring the buzzer every night, alongside tuning in to China Radio International and exploring other internet radio signals. The world of radio is filled with mysteries and surprises, and I'm eager to uncover more.If you have any tips or insights, or if there's anything else you'd like to share, I'm all ears! Looking forward to more exchanges and discoveries!Best regards, SWLAdventurer

SWLAdventurer

Fellow radio enthusiasts,Observation Details:Date and Time: December 30, 2023, 1540 UTCAtmospheric Conditions: Clear skiesRadio Station Name: UVB76Frequency: 4625 kHzToday, while monitoring UVB76, I observed an intriguing transmission resembling the NATO standard for text-based radio broadcasts, SCNAG. The signal was distinct, and atmospheric conditions were optimal with clear skies.My observations were made using WebSDR in the Netherlands.Has anyone else encountered a similar anomaly or possesses information on SCNAG-type signals being transmitted by UVB76?Looking forward to sharing insights and discoveries!Best regards, SWLAdventurer

Fellow radio enthusiasts,Update Details:Date and Time (UTC): December 30, 2023, 16:11Radio Station Name: UVB76Frequency: 4625 kHzAs of the latest observation at 16:11 UTC on December 30, 2023, the UVB76 transmission continues with the STANAG-Type Signal. Noteworthy additions include background voices and assorted noises.Feel free to share your experiences or join in the discussion regarding this ongoing phenomenon.Looking forward to hearing your insights!Best regards, SWLAdventurer

Update Message:Fellow radio enthusiasts,Update Details:Date and Time (UTC): December 30, 2023, 16:21Radio Station Name: UVB76Frequency: 4625 kHzAs of the latest observation at 16:21 UTC on December 30, 2023, the UVB76 transmission persists with the STANAG-Type Signal.Your observations and insights are valuable—feel free to share them or participate in the ongoing discussion.Best regards, SWLAdventurer

Message:Dear radio enthusiasts,Update Details:Date and Time (UTC): December 30, 2023, 17:08Observation: The buzzer is now accompanied by an additional tone, introducing a new element to its transmission.As of 17:08 UTC on December 30, 2023, the buzzer has evolved, featuring an additional tone alongside its regular transmission. Your continued vigilance in monitoring these changes is invaluable to our community.Feel free to share your insights or join the discussion on this recent development.Best regards, SWLAdventurer

Dear radio enthusiasts,Update Details:Date and Time (UTC): December 30, 2023, 17:14Observation: The buzzer has returned to its normal state after a brief period with an additional tone being broadcasted.As of 17:14 UTC on December 30, 2023, the buzzer has resumed its regular transmission pattern, reverting to its familiar state. Your prompt observations and updates contribute significantly to our understanding of these intriguing radio phenomena.Feel free to share any thoughts or observations related to this recent occurrence.Best regards, SWLAdventurer

Token

Yes. Hoaxers / pirates / hooligans / whatever we are calling them this week, have been hitting the Buzzer frequency (4625 kHz, USB mode) for about 12 or 13 years now. In the last year it has really stepped up.

Right now I am looking at the Buzzer freq, and someone is sending 4 simultaneous and synchronous waterfall images, from about 4607 kHz to about 4629 kHz.

Looking closer, some of them are mirror images of the others. It is possible this is a single transmitter, tuned to 4617.5 kHz, in DSB mode, with a audio bandwidth of about 10 kHz. This way it has both a USB and LSB signal, and both the audio and the 2nd audio harmonics of the modulation in each sideband, resulting in 4 copies.

At the same time, another hoaxer is transmitting audio in USB on the Buzzer frequency of 4625 kHz, so that both the hoaxer and the Buzzer are on 4625 kHz. This audio, at this time, is recordings of old Buzzer voice traffic.

It is possible that when you saw the additional tones / versions of the Buzzer it was one of these hoaxers rebroadcasting the Buzzer (they do it often) and using slightly different frequencies for each TX.

T!

SWLAdventurer

Exciting news! STANAG signals have been detected on The Buzzer again. The timestamp for this discovery is 19:53 UTC, under clear skies, tuned to 4625 kHz on the WebSDR.For a detailed breakdown, I'll be sharing the findings first on RadioReference.com, followed by a post on r/shortwave. Keep an ear out for more updates!