Updates are Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Caesar said:
aka.. if upman doesn't need to know, then you surely can live without knowing....

;-P

Tell ya what Caesar... you simply just follow the lemming in front of you!

Andy
Scannist

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Boomeranger said:
Tell ya what Caesar... you simply just follow the lemming in front of you!

Andy
Scannist

haha, send me a pm when you find the answer.. ok?

unless you are programming your own firmware for the radio you will be just fine...

uniden is not going to relesae more updates for the radio than they have space for...

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Boomeranger said:
BS answer.

HTH is that a "BS answer"?? Are you saying that all manufacturers should make this information publicly available just for the asking? I'm sure asking GRE how big the firmware eeprom is in the PSR 500 would yield much less of an answer than Paul has provided you as a courtesy (yes courtesy as in "doesn't have to tell you but did anyway"). What next, you gonna hassle the sales guy from Sirius because he can't tell you the wattage of the solar panels used on their satellites? Seriously. You can bash Uniden all you want to - that's your right - but Paul is a stand up guy and doesn't deserve to be hounded constantly over something so meaningless to 99.9% of the scanning community.

EDIT: In fact, speaking of GRE, why don't you send their product manager a PM and ask them! Oh wait... you CAN'T because they DON'T PARTICIPATE IN THESE FORUMS, DO THEY? Silly me.
-AZ

Last edited:

jerk

Boomeranger said:
BS answer.

Sad!

Andy
Scannist

Who really cares... what the chip is and the amount of memory.
I certainly don't care, don't really want to know, and if I did I would research it at other than this forum. And I sure knowing or not knowing this information raises his salary one cent either way.
And if you "really" need to know or want to know, asking nice goes a long way, or calling the company direct.

But it's probably not any of your business now is it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'll mention upon reflection, however, and as my final post on this subject, that the ASCII symbol set used in the scn file is probably much bigger than the actual binary encoded "object" form of the code...so the EPROM memory could be smaller than 3MB. Or it could be bigger.

Boomeranger

Banned
AZScanner said:
HTH is that a "BS answer"?? Are you saying that all manufacturers should make this information publicly available just for the asking?

Again, IT'S NOT PROPRIETARY INFORMATION!!!

UPMan is just playing dumb.

Andy
Scannist

Boomeranger

Banned
UPMan said:
I'll mention... so the EPROM memory could be smaller than 3MB. Or it could be bigger.

Geez... could you be more blatently misleading?!?

I don't think YOU know what you're talking about, anymore.

GIMMEABREAK!!!

Andy
Scannist

Airdorn

I don't blame UPMan for not wholesale releasing any old tidbit of information, on the fly, for anyone who asks, right on cue, like a dog jumping through hoops. It may not be proprietary information, but I don't think that means anybody should be obligated to just bark-up answers whenever the hell some hobbyist/poster/flameboi decides he needs the info in some random flame-fest, whining post.

Will an admin please lock this thread?

cpuerror

Slightly OT Since everyone is so interested in the CPU, I'm going to lay it to you. Here is the PDF:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf/2097069.pdf

1 MEG Flash capacity. Maximum rewrite capacity is 100x.

From The PDF (Summary)

M32R-FPU core M32R family CPU core, internally configured in 32-bit
Built-in multiplier-accumulator (32 × 16 + 56)
Basic bus cycle: 15.625 ns (CPU clock frequency at 64 MHz, Internal peripheral clock frequency at 16MHz)
: 12.5 ns (CPU clock frequency at 80 MHz, Internal peripheral clock frequency at 20MHz)
Logical address space: 4G bytes, linear
General-purpose register: 32-bit register × 16,Control register: 32-bit register × 6
Accumulator: 56-bit
External data bus 16-bit data bus
Instruction set 16-bit/32-bit instruction formats
100 discrete instructions in six addressing modes
Internal flash memory
M32182F8VFP/M32182F8TFP: 1024K bytes
M32182F3VFP/M32182F3TFP: 384K bytes
Rewrite durability: 100 times
Internal RAM 64K bytes
DMAC 10 channels

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Good idea. Time for a lock, if an admin will oblige. I'll be posting release details as soon as the update is ready, tomorrow, and will start a new thread, then. Perhaps CPU discussions could start in its own thread.

CPUERROR: Thanks for looking that up. I did not have easy access to that info nor the need to research it.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Boomeranger said:

No, I don't think he's playing dumb. I think he's just playing with YOU. And rightfully so. Sad that a thread regarding updates to firmware has digressed to this ridiculous pissing match that you keep baiting Paul to join you in.

Last post from me on the subject. I sense the "Iron Fist of Lou" approaching....

-AZ

Boomeranger

Banned
Airdorn said:
I don't blame UPMan for not wholesale releasing any old tidbit of information, on the fly, for anyone who asks, right on cue, like a dog jumping through hoops. It may not be proprietary information, but I don't think that means anybody should be obligated to just bark-up answers whenever the hell some hobbyist/poster/flameboi decides he needs the info in some random flame-fest, whining post.

Will an admin please lock this thread?

I'm entitled to trumpet my ideals (to a point) where it concerns me.

Just continue to follow the lemming in front of you.

I will not go quietly!

Andy
Scannist

Airdorn

I don't think you're entitled to anything here. It's a privately-run forum, you know. I seem to remember that admin guy talking about deleting off-topic posts.. please delete all mine too. :)

epersson

Feed Provider
And as we all know who work in technology... "No act of kindness ever goes unpunished" give an answer, its misinterpreted and then used against the author. Prime example is how this thread got to this stage to begin with. The scanner works, the makers know what is in it, they are writing the code, and as Henry Ford discovered, planned obsolescance is the best policy. They will design code for as long as is feasible for them, then stop and offer another model. And nothing you know about this scanner will help you. Pressing for an answer that is irrelevant just pisses off the rest of the audience, and the object of your pressing.

mully95

Boomeranger said:

Andy
Scannist

The only thing I see dumb is YOU!

UPMan don't pay this low life any attention. He's a complete waste of precious oxygen.

jafo818

Premium Subscriber
Boomeranger said:
I'm entitled to trumpet my ideals (to a point) where it concerns me.

Just continue to follow the lemming in front of you.

I will not go quietly!

Andy
Scannist

Who are you to make such demands? Paul is here because he wants to be, not because he needs to be. He could just lurk and not post (to keep an open ear).

Anyway, demanding people like you who think they are entitled to everything are the reason many people don't enjoy reading forums anymore. I see it on almost every forum I read on a daily basis, people announcing they are leaving... Too bad the people leaving are generally the good guys and not the bad.

My two cents... Can't wait for the firmware upgrade tomorrow!

Boomeranger

Banned
mully95 said:
The only thing I see dumb is YOU!

UPMan don't pay this low life any attention. He's a complete waste of precious oxygen.

You're a noobie. You haven't been up through the ranks of scanners. What do you know?!

Punk! LOL!!!

Andy
Scannist

Status
Not open for further replies.