USAF Callsigns REACH **** question......

fires999

Hi Forum,
Firstly belated HAPPY NEW YEAR for 2024 !!
So just a quick question, if anyone regularly monitors Mil Airband (USAF) have you managed to work out the REACH (RCH) callsigns that now carry 4 digits ?
A while back, 4 digits were used for Training Flights & also noticed POTUS support aircraft, certainly when coming Eastbound to Europe or beyond would use 4 digits in their callsign ?
There is still a healthy supply of 3 digits for C17's and C5's, but seems the four digit format is catching up.
And before you all mention it, YES I AM based at a USAF Base here in the UK & YES 4 digit REACH flights have landed here BUT I have not been able to speak direct with any flight crew to ask outright !!!

Any ideas welcome - as always you guys are amazing and always offer some fantastic answers with some great descriptive responses.
Thanks in advance,
Be safe,
Kevin (USAF Mildenhall Fire Dept, East of England)

fires999

Morning,
Thanks for reply - however I have been using various aircraft tracking sites including Adsb with the Military filter for many years.
What I'm trying to establish is why the sudden increase in RCH 4 digit callsigns and their relevance/ meaning if any..they could be random or sequential for day if week, who is flying the aircraft etc.
Why for example do 2 C17s depart from same airfield, land at same destination with one being RCH *** & the other RCH **** ? I've tried looking at Mission codes but no luck !
Thanks,
Kevin

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed an increase in them as well, it seemed to start about the same time they did away with the old RCHxxxT (tango flights) with POTUS/VP equipment. Maybe service wide change in numbering. There are a few good people here and hopefully someone will be able to help answer the question. What I found was...

While USAF RCH flights utilize both three and four-digit callsigns, the difference in callsign length typically indicates purpose and mission type:
Three-digit RCH callsigns:
  • Commonly used for cargo aircraft like C-17 Globemaster III and C-5 Galaxy, transporting personnel and equipment within the US or overseas.
  • Sometimes employed for tanker aircraft like the KC-10 Extender, especially when engaged in refueling operations.
  • Often associated with routine missions, though specifics about cargo or mission details remain classified.
Four-digit RCH callsigns:
  • Frequently assigned to special mission aircraft, including:
    • POTUS support aircraft: These provide logistical and communication support for the President's travels.
    • Diplomatic flights: Carrying high-ranking officials or sensitive materials.
    • Intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) missions: These utilize specialized aircraft for gathering critical information.
    • Training flights: Some training missions, particularly for advanced aircraft or tactics, might use four-digit RCH callsigns.
  • Generally associated with more sensitive or specialized missions compared to three-digit counterparts.
It's important to note that this is not a definitive rule. Some exceptions and overlaps exist. For instance, certain four-digit RCH flights might be routine cargo missions, while specific three-digit flights could involve special operations.
Additional observations:
  • Zero as the first digit in a three-digit RCH callsign often indicates a KC-10 tanker.
  • The specific assignment of callsigns is dynamic and based on operational needs.

Last edited:

vavolff

No Tac Channel Assigned .....
Premium Subscriber
I've noticed an increase in them as well, it seemed to start about the same time they did away with the old RCHxxxT (tango flights) with POTUS/VP equipment. Maybe service wide change in numbering. There are a few good people here and hopefully someone will be able to help answer the question. What I found was...

While USAF RCH flights utilize both three and four-digit callsigns, the difference in callsign length typically indicates purpose and mission type:
Three-digit RCH callsigns:
  • Commonly used for cargo aircraft like C-17 Globemaster III and C-5 Galaxy, transporting personnel and equipment within the US or overseas.
  • Sometimes employed for tanker aircraft like the KC-10 Extender, especially when engaged in refueling operations.
  • Often associated with routine missions, though specifics about cargo or mission details remain classified.
Four-digit RCH callsigns:
  • Frequently assigned to special mission aircraft, including:
    • POTUS support aircraft: These provide logistical and communication support for the President's travels.
    • Diplomatic flights: Carrying high-ranking officials or sensitive materials.
    • Intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) missions: These utilize specialized aircraft for gathering critical information.
    • Training flights: Some training missions, particularly for advanced aircraft or tactics, might use four-digit RCH callsigns.
  • Generally associated with more sensitive or specialized missions compared to three-digit counterparts.
It's important to note that this is not a definitive rule. Some exceptions and overlaps exist. For instance, certain four-digit RCH flights might be routine cargo missions, while specific three-digit flights could involve special operations.
Additional observations:
  • Zero as the first digit in a three-digit RCH callsign often indicates a KC-10 tanker.
  • The specific assignment of callsigns is dynamic and based on operational needs.
Thank you for this info! This definitely answers my question, I noticed the three and four numericals as well. This also poses an off topic question (Kinda). USAF callsign Vinyl, I've caught a couple of (want to say C17 Flights) flights using this call sign. When looking this up, the info found stated it's also involved with supporting POTUS travel like I've seen with Reach flights. Do both work hand in hand? I noticed a couple of them during the month of December.

vavolff

No Tac Channel Assigned .....
Premium Subscriber
@fires999 do you mind if I ask you a real quick USAF Fire Protection question? Do you guys and gals do the full shindig on the bases (CFR/Structure) or do you augment with civilian firefighters on state side bases? It's hard to narrow down anyone in USAF in my area, for I live in Navytown USA (East Coast Edition lol).

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
USAF callsign Vinyl, I've caught a couple of (want to say C17 Flights) flights using this call sign. When looking this up, the info found stated it's also involved with supporting POTUS travel like I've seen with Reach flights. Do both work hand in hand?

Look at Elder too, unsure in difference between the three (Elder, RCH, Vinyl) and possibly a couple more I'm forgetting.