USB to Serial Adapter - Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You have to be careful though. Sometimes you can't mix and match - case in point, you can't use CHIRP with a RT Systems cable without a lot of finageling. Evidently CHIRP wants to see nothing but OEM or Keyspan cables...their wiki has a lot of information on the subject

Mike

ccs247

Premium Subscriber
I ran the trouble shooter.
It States the driver is not installed. But when I try to use the update I get "...Service installation section in this INF is invalid.
The COM port gives the following under the properties tab:
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
A service installation section in this INF is invalid.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.
It is a endless loop, no matter how I go about it, I always have the same results:
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
I un-install clean everything up, and try again. I have used the link you supplied, the files with the CD, The FTDI web site and US Converter's web site files.
Same results. But only on the AMD processor. The laptop with the Intel Pentium works.
The laptop: HP 2000-2C29WM Notebook PC, Product: D1E81UA, AMD E-21800 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.70 GHZ. I went thru making sure all was updated, but same results:
Also when the device is first connected, the SERIAL CONVERTOR is installed under the USB Controller.
The USB SERIAL PORT appears under the PORT table with exclamation mark with no driver installed message. When I try to update it, that is when the final result is A service installation section in this INF is invalid.
Thank you,
Mike

Have you checked c:\windows\system32\drivers for the ftser2k.sys file? If this file exists, then that would cause the error you are experiencing. There are two possible solutions. One is to rename the existing ftser2k.sys file and try the installation again. The other is to do a manual driver update: go to device manager, right click on the ftdi serial device, select Update Driver, select browse my computer for driver software, let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select the ftdi serial device from the list and click next.

ekim223

The only thing that fixed the problem was by resetting the computer back to new out of the box status (Windows 8.0).
Whatever the problem is in Windows 8.1, it also happened on a fellow employees computer also using an AMD with 64 bit and Windows 8.1.
Both were updated via the download method.
As for tech support, well I just heard it "should work". Most of the suggestions were generic un-install drivers, try again.
Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've seen several threads now that suggest that you should not allow Win8.x to download updates for USB drivers - you should install your own manually.

Hopefully this new Win9 that supposed to be announced at the end of the month will address these issues

Mike

ekim223

This was a case no matter how you installed the drivers, it would not have worked.
The Win 8.1 download had been corrupted or other issue which caused the System32>Driver folder to loose necessary OS files.

Status
Not open for further replies.