vanity calls..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparks29

John McClane
I'm bored with my current call, looking at getting a vanity...

Not a CW guy, but I see W9III is available, which is about as simple as you can get, CW wise..

I was also thinking about something like K7XSP, just because it looks cool..hahah.. also a wø call looks good

Suggestions?

Also, I got another car, a geezer car (Grand Marquis) and will be getting a ham tag, because it belongs on an old geezer car.....

Also...

I was looking at a smaller dual band NMO antenna, something along the lines of the Comet B10, any suggestions..?

I am only gonna go with lip mounts, not drilling holes....

ant.jpg

mkh

There is more to it than picking letters that sound or look good. For example, if you are into DX then you need a call sign that is easy to pick out of a pileup. if you just love CW then a call that is easy to tap out may be just the thing.

I simply went with a 1X3 using my initials.

k9rzz

I went to the list of available calls, and printed them. All of them, then narrowed it down from there.

I do operate a lot of CW as well as phone, plus I wanted one that I could just 'say' and have it be understood.

Kay Nine Are Zed Zed ... or ... Kay Nine Are Double Zed.

It would take me a while to learn how to say "Italy Italy Italy" fast.

:^)

majoco

Stirrer
You should be saying like India India India - the proper phonetic alphabet is far easier to understand by non-English speakers than one you made up yourself.

w2txb

4.6L, 281 ci SOHC

So, yes.

also, it's an HPP, handling and performance pkg...came standard with dual exhaust and 3.27 RAR.

...but does it have the deSade option? :lol:

Like Pontiac, Mercury is now a "classic", and, as such, may be worth something someday.

The B10 is not a bad antenna, but keep in mind that something that short will have limited gain; place it anywhere below the roof line and signal pattern will be less than great. Have you considered the Maxrad MDB1444(S)?

For vanity calls, there are few that meet all qualifications (good on CW, easy to pronounce, and easy to understand); go with what works for you. I chose my current call because it was that of my late uncle who got me started in ham radio when I was in high school.

Last edited:

nexus

If it was decision I would avoid the triple I callsign all together. That's a pain in the butt to say both verbally and in cw. Certainly not a very good DXing callsign.

You need something like mine... K5OP but should get that extra class first :)

Kilo Five Oscar Papa... Kilo Five Ocean Pacific... DAH DIT DAH DIT DIT DIT DIT DIT DAH DAH DAH DIT DAH DAH DIT..

LtDoc

It doesn't much matter why you like a particular call sign. If you find one that you do like, and it's available, why not?
I wanted my original call sign back without the Novice "N" in it. 'They' must not have thought I could remember all those letters, so 'they' gave me a 1X2 call sign instead. I did put it on the application, so I can't complain. Oh well...
- 'Doc

KC0KM

I got lucky when I got my vanity call. I had been wanting a "Kansas City" or KC call, and just so happened with my initials "KM"

I got lucky when I got my vanity call sign. I had been wanting a "Kansas City" prefix, and with my initials either KMC, KM, KEM etc. After making extra, I went looking on the FCC and found this one -- KC0KM -- Kansas City Zero Kelly McClanahan (although I am still looking a for one that does not always use my name, and instead of Kilo Mike)

My father, also got a vanity call as well, but he went with a more "historical" call. When he was in college, a little over 50 years ago, his roommate's call was W0UVX. At the time my father "tried" to get his ticket, but simply could not hear CW. When he made General (the same night I made Extra) he had already decided to change his call to his former roommate's call, since it was available, and he has known it for, well, for fifty years. He even uses the same way as he learned it, Whiskey Zero Ultra Violet X-Ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.