• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

VDOT Safety Service Patrol in Richmond

KD4IIW

Premium Subscriber
Ssp nova toc tac9

STARS Talkgroup 5080
I've been compiling a list of Unit id's for the Wikipage and for my 436.

Can anyone tell if Units are Id'ing as ISP or IST? on Tac9? I hear both SSP and something that sounds like ISP? I am not sure if there are more than one type of unit id on the radio.

In the last few months NEW Safety Service Patrol trucks have been put into service statewide. Yes you are correct they are no longer state owned trucks and the contractor went with Ford F250 extended cabs with a work camper shell. Further investigation appears that on the drivers side fender there is a K40 antenna mounted..... I would assume that is NOT their primary source of communication maybe just truck to truck because there is another antenna mounted of the roof.

Attachments

Regarding the fender mounted antenna, it is hard for me to tell for sure whether of not it is a top loaded fiberglass CB antenna or not, but my guess is it is for comms on CB Ch. 9 the Emergency channel.

John
W4UVV
6W3921 Knoxville, TN. licensed 1958

Tnx for pic

Here is another pic. A little bit clearer of the K40
----------

NOTE: The picture I was responding to was #25 which appeared to be a ball mount vice the other picture posted which appeared to have a fixed horizontal base mount.

AECOM, the statewide SSP contractor, has only one company license, (WQOF708) for VA, McLean and it is for property management. Although the fender mounted antenna is stainless steel and not physically the correct 1/4 wavelength of 9 ft. for 11 meters CB operation, I still think it is for CB Ch. 9 comms.

I understand why the whip antenna was cut shorter. If a 9 ft. fender mounted antenna, add another 3-4ft height which presents a real problem of hitting lower tree limbs, etc. I know from personal experience. In 1962 I was visiting DC heading to Hains Point. I was traveling 40-45 mph (a rarity) and went under an old concrete overpass. Exiting the other side, my bumper mounted 9 ft. whip antenna's encounter with a physical obstruction, reaction was immediate. As I exited the underpass the antenna immediately slapped down hard on the car roof which surprised, shocked and scared me. What saved me from additional grief was I had used a heavy duty base spring mount for the antenna. There are some things a person never forgets and this is one of them for me.

As an additional safety measure, I would recommend this truck driver or whomever is responsible add a light base spring to this ball mount antenna.

John
W4UVV

Last edited:

KD4IIW

Premium Subscriber
So I'm assuming that "ISP" just stands for interstate service patrol? Seems like SSP in Richmond district I'd vith a variety identifiers. Mostly what route or county they are assigned to