TRX-1: WARNING: Windows 10 Update KB5005101 Preview may be causing USB issues with EZSCAN and TRX

Status
Not open for further replies.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I'm uninstalling this update now to confirm the issue but with this latest MS update for Windows 10 but my TRX hangs when trying to update the scanner from my library. It failed once and so I did the usual reformat of the SD card and reload but it again failed. It hangs the software during the update and ultimately corrupts the SD card. It'll still read OK but Windows will complain about it.

There are USB fixes with this update so I think Whistler may need to look at this ASAP.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I can confirm there is likely some USB issue with this latest update. Upon uninstalling the update and rebooting my system, there is no more issue. I performed another 'prepare SD card' and EZSCAN worked perfectly. (The process was much faster too.)

I would avoid this update. I'm using 19041 (21H1) build. It works on .1165 but failed on the .1202 preview update:

Highlights
  • Updates a rare condition that causes Bluetooth headsets to only work for voice calls.
  • Updates an issue that provides the wrong Furigana result when you cancel the Japanese reconversion.
  • Updates an issue that resets syncing for Microsoft OneDrive to “Known folders only” after you install a Windows update.
  • Updates an issue that prevents audio headsets that connect to a device using USB from working if the device has certain third-party audio drivers.
  • Updates an issue with resizing images that might produce flickering and residual line artifacts.
  • Updates an issue that prevents you from typing any words in the username box during the out-of-box experience (OOBE) process. This issue occurs when you use the Chinese Input Method Editor (IME).
  • Updates an issue with copying and pasting a text box into Office 365 apps. If you use an IME, you won’t be able to insert text into the text box.
  • Updates an issue that might cause your device to stop working when making a touch input gesture. This issue occurs if you bring more fingers into contact with the touchpad or screen during the middle of the gesture.
  • Updates an issue that might cause an external monitor to display a black screen after Hibernation. This issue might occur when the external monitor connects to a docking station using a certain hardware interface.
  • Updates an issue that resets the brightness for standard dynamic range (SDR) content on high-dynamic range (HDR) monitors. This occurs after you restart your device or reconnect to the device remotely.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
Probably this is what happened to my TRX-1 it would not update the library !
So i will check my computer for update history and remove that update
Thanks for sharing
I must say, this past week i have learned how to manually program trunk systems of all types. It's easier than i thought. But still would like to have the library and updates

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire

I had another weird issue when trying to 'check for updates' from EZSCAN -- and received some odd error message. I closed out EZSCAN and re-checked but it worked that time.

My motherboard is fairly old too so it could be a problem with older chipsets. (I have the Asus Maximus VI Hero 'board.) I don't use USB3 on it as it has had issues with USB3 in the past, so I just use it for USB2 only.

FWIW, I've reported the feedback to Microsoft but since I had already reverted the update, their diagnostic tool wasn't able to run.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
After reinstalling ez scam everything suddenly works. Updates fine. Crazy. First i deleted ez scam then reinstalled it. WOW. I just don't know what to think about all this !!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So i will check my computer for update history and remove that update
Thanks for sharing
I must say, this past week i have learned how to manually program trunk systems of all types. It's easier than i thought. But still would like to have the library and updates
After reinstalling ez scam everything suddenly works. Updates fine. Crazy. First i deleted ez scam then reinstalled it. WOW. I just don't know what to think about all this !!
The optional KB5005101 Cumulative Update Preview was issued yesterday. It sounds like you've been having issues for a few days now. Doesn't seem like the two are related.

CycleSycho

;) I never install 'optional' OR 'preview' updates. I don't even let MS install updates for at least a week after their release (and) before I do I go to the windows 10 forum to see if others are having trouble with that monthly update. Once bitten twice shy... Seems MS is losing much cred in the past few years... ;)

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
Since I'm not very familiar with different types of MS updates, in the future i will not let these updates run until i am sure that they won't interfere with my software, I'm thinking that one, i might have deleted a folder for ez scan by mistake , two the software might have some type of error because I've had it for about 3 maybe 4 years ? Not really sure. But it's working fine ever since i reinstalled it !
But because of the problem i learned how to manually program or create trunk systems without the computer and for me i prefer this because it may not be the fastest or easiest way but more rewarding

CycleSycho

Since I'm not very familiar with different types of MS updates, in the future i will not let these updates run until i am sure that they won't interfere with my software, I'm thinking that one, i might have deleted a folder for ez scan by mistake , two the software might have some type of error because I've had it for about 3 maybe 4 years ? Not really sure. But it's working fine ever since i reinstalled it !
But because of the problem i learned how to manually program or create trunk systems without the computer and for me i prefer this because it may not be the fastest or easiest way but more rewarding

:) Depending on the version of your Windows 10 edition, you can select to 'put off' updates for a certain period of time. Might be worth your time to look into how to do that within your edition so that things like this do not happen. If you left click the windows icon lower left corner (Start), then in the window that opens up scroll down to 'Windows System' and again left click. scroll down that menu to 'This PC' (on my system it is named 'This PC', if your computer is named differently it will be what you select in this step), then RIGHT CLICK, select 'More' then scroll to 'Properties' and a window will open up. on the right side of that window, scroll down to 'Window specifications, it will tell you what edition windows 10 you have in that line and the version in the next line. Going from there you can search to see how to 'put off' updates based on your preferences and edition/version you have installed. BTW, if it is set to automatically upgrade it could change the 'version' forward. again, if you are on top of it you'll see when it updates in these two places. Good luck! :)

CycleSycho

And they can sometimes cause other problems, like USB usage for programming radios.
Not a good idea! Updates should be installed immediately. Many of them fix security flaws.

:) So when MS sends a patch Tuesday patch that has problems (which they do on occasion, see the win 10 forum), then you'll have a helluva time restoring based on what they crapped. NOTICE I mentioned to just put off for a week or two, not indefinitely (which you cannot do anyway). I suggest a week or two slide isn't that critical, crapping your computer is. Sometimes MS fixes the problem within days so waiting a few days would be OK but... I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem from their updates/patches since. Have that happen once or twice on your machines and you'll remember this post. If you have never had that happen you are lucky, but don't disqualify the suggestion based on that. My suggestion stands in its entirety.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
FYI it looks like MS has pulled this update for now. The fact that it wasn't included in yesterday's Patch Tuesday updates was a good indicator.

jdanielm1974

I purchased the TRX-1 today, and I couldn't get it to even check for updated software without immediately getting an error message about the server side security license being invalid. I got it to work by downloading the current EZSCAN file from the whistler support page. Everything on my scanner was current except the library file, which just finished after 30 minutes of waiting.

I hope this fixes the scanner, as I haven't been able to pickup a single thing yet, from the middle of DFW.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I purchased the TRX-1 today, and I couldn't get it to even check for updated software without immediately getting an error message about the server side security license being invalid. I got it to work by downloading the current EZSCAN file from the whistler support page. Everything on my scanner was current except the library file, which just finished after 30 minutes of waiting.

I hope this fixes the scanner, as I haven't been able to pickup a single thing yet, from the middle of DFW.
Not the same issue as this thread. Please start a new thread for any issues you have but I think you have simulcast systems all over Texas and these TRX scanners do not play well with simulcast as they lack the appropriate hardware to decode them.

jdanielm1974

Not the same issue as this thread. Please start a new thread for any issues you have but I think you have simulcast systems all over Texas and these TRX scanners do not play well with simulcast as they lack the appropriate hardware to decode them.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to return it and get the SDS200 if I can find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.