SDS100/SDS200: Went deaf...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Just asking to try to see what all have in common not laying blame trying to see what is or is not common.
Did you have the SDS100 hooked up to an outside antenna?
Do you have a preamp in your antenna system?
Do you have your antenna system grounded?

Mine has not failed but I am hooked up to a grounded ST2 split two ways going to 2 Stridsberg MCA208M multicouplers for my home setup and a larson triband to a Stridsberg MCA204M in my car.

I was mostly using an RH77 BNC or Watson 801 BNC. I do have a setup similar to yours, with an added cable TV preamp at my ST-2 antenna and only one 8 port Stridesberg active multicoupler. Antenna system is grounded.

rpvitale

Premium Subscriber
My recieve less scanner is boxed up and waiting to be returned to Uniden. FYI just the oem rubber duckie antenna has been on it. No external antenna of any kind. Won't even receive weather stations now.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Got my unit back on Saturday from repair. It's been sitting on my desk since with local PD system going. I just noticed a few minutes ago it has been a while since I've heard anything and took a look. Very weak picking up anything and RSSI showing --- with no signal bars and very high D-error and noise...

I did analyze and shows nearly no signal.

Looks like back to repair it goes. :(

What repairs were completed?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Q1/Q2, which is typically an indication of either voltage (i.e. static discharge) or excessive RF coming into the antenna jack.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
It sits right here beside my 436 that never had any issues.

I don't use a transmitter here at the house, only in the vehicle. It hadn't been on an external antenna since receiving it from repair, except to test when it stopped receiving again. Not sure what else could be messing it up.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The same or similar connector is used in the 436 and HomePatrol scanners to connect the front and rear circuit boards together, rather than a ribbon cable or multiple connectors. If it doesn't connect everything it should, then the unit isn't going to work.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I could see it in the pic, but had no clue what it was for. So, everything on the scanner seemed fine, except no receive.

Can't wait to get it back. I've missed my SDS!

mcpetersen

Same problem

I have a similar problem with my SDS100. It worked great for a couple weeks then quit receiving. I returned it for warranty service and got it back Friday. Uniden said it worked normally in their area and the only thing they did was load software on the sd card that I had left in the radio. It's receiving nothing. Signal strength meter is constantly showing full strength, but analyze shows no signal from the ICORRS system whose closest tower is only a mile away, The radio shows a constant RSSI of -35, occasionally shows a noise reading and will make random noise. I guess it's back to Uniden.

Mike

Ubbe

The radio shows a constant RSSI of -35, occasionally shows a noise reading and will make random noise. I guess it's back to Uniden.

With such a high signal level you could enable the 20dB attenuator on that site/frequency and also try the IFX, or remove the antenna and instead use a paper clip or something with the sma-bnc adapter or "hide" the scanner from the signal in the microwave owen or fridge, to see if that would help. The scanner is overloaded with that kind of signal and you'll have to include a note to Uniden that says that you have a problem to receive just this system at a -35dBm level. Maybe doing a debug log would help Uniden look at the problem.

There's no point in sending it in again with the exact same explaination of the issue as last time.

/Ubbe

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I have a similar problem with my SDS100. It worked great for a couple weeks then quit receiving. I returned it for warranty service and got it back Friday. Uniden said it worked normally in their area and the only thing they did was load software on the sd card that I had left in the radio. It's receiving nothing. Signal strength meter is constantly showing full strength, but analyze shows no signal from the ICORRS system whose closest tower is only a mile away, The radio shows a constant RSSI of -35, occasionally shows a noise reading and will make random noise. I guess it's back to Uniden.

Mike

Have you tried deleting driving out of the area while using it in case there is some locally strong signal that is interfering with this model scanner?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
-35dBm RSSI indicates an extremely strong signal broadcast in your area, which is probably overloading the receiver. Take a drive with the scanner.

mcpetersen

Thanks for the responses. I live in a mostly rural area and signal overload has never been a problem in the past. However, something may have changed that I'm not aware of. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Mike

mcpetersen

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I did take a drive today and it doesn't affect reception. In fact, if I remove the antenna, the readings and behavior of the radio are unchanged. Occasionally, by pulling and re-inserting the battery, I can get reception on the P25 Phase I system for a while. Ironically, when I get this intermittent reception, the RSSI shows nothing nor does the signal strength reading. Could it be some internally generated interference from the radio itself? I like the radio and would like to get it going again.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.